Isn't it ridiculous that Okami is cut and Munoz is still here?

Always take into account other non-fighting factors to tip the balance: are they/their management easy to work with, will they fight overseas, will they take short notice fights, who are their friends (probably helps Munoz a lot as he is very well liked). None of those will make up for losing too much but if your a borderline guy it can decide your fate.

Okami got cut because his talent is far beyond his marketability. He beats exciting fighters who are easier to hype up and sell fights.

I am pretty sure it's because Okami was making alot more $ then Munoz.

The no. 2 organization in the world didn't offer Okami a contract. How does Mark Munoz figure into that?

Okami is not worth the money he wanted.

No personality. Check.
No English. Check.
Boring fighter. Check.

His first fight in WSOF was shit until he got the finish.

Okami got cut because his talent is far beyond his marketability. He beats exciting fighters who are easier to hype up and sell fights.

Agreed. He was the Urijah Faber of the MW division. Had the ability to beat almost anyone in the top 10 except the champ. The only difference was Okami's fights were boring and slow.

Munoz builds contenders up, Okami derails them.

And the UFC doesn't give a shit about the sport.

- both of their chins aren't that good
- okami has better mma grappling than munoz
- okami has better striking than munoz
- okami beat munoz
- okami only lost one before getting cut
- munoz lost twice and still isn't cut
- okami is ranked higher than munoz
- munoz is even worst than a gatekeeper (if okami is considered one)
- okami is a bigger name (especially in japan)

CONFUSED.

dont give me that ....o he fought this guy etc! he shud be cut now

he did attempt subs but Belcher's ground game is legit. I thought that win was impressive. Alan was riding a lot of hype.

Exactly.
Shertards just appreciate highlight reel stuff.
That win was impressive, as many others of him. The way Okami schools elite fighters is something impressive, for anyone that actually understands what is going on.
He lacks of finishing ability, heart and fierceness, that's true.

I guarantee it has to do with the fact that Okami doesn't speak English

In normal circumstances yeah as both are atleast on par in terms of abilities and what they offer but the UFC is all about entertainment, and Okami doesn't fit well.

I don't see why you are getting flak as if you said the same criteria was used. You just seem to be asking why keep Munoz when they cut fighters better than him. Basically because of money, age, and style of fights. They didn't want to keep shelling out money to a boring fighter that isn't ever gonna be champ. Munoz normally wins or loses big. Its the more exciting style more fans like. But he is in need of a win over someone to prove getting by him is only something the better fighters can do. Without at least gatekeeper status he might have a hard time sticking around too much longer if only because he was already supposedly in contender status not too long ago. If he goes from that to not even gatekeeper, that's a long fall

It is ridicoulus that okami got cut, but he was probably getting paid more than Munoz and in that case it makes more sense, although still despicable

Munoz is better than you give him credit for. He smashes everyone who isn't elite. Hell the only guy that beat him but was unable to do it in a devastating way was Okami. That should say something.

I like Okami, and disagreed with him getting cut, but don't shit on Munoz for it.

Back