Isn't it about time we get serious media personalities to make rankings?

GrantB13

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Per the UFC website:
The rankings panel is comprised of media members from the following outlets:
KHON Honolulu, MMA Oddsbreaker, CFMU 93.3, Bursprak.se, FightNews, Fight Network, Gazeta Esportiva, Cherokee Scout, Burbank Leader, MMA Weekly, KIOZ 105.3, Vladusport.com, Wrestling Observer, Top Turtle Podcast, My MMA News, MMA Fight Radio, BoxeoMundial, Kimura.se, MMA Soldier, MMA NYTT, Blood & Sweat, Inside Fighting Radio.

I'm sure this has been discussed before.... But WHO? Why can't we get more serious players from major MMA media sources instead of some randos that only hardcore MMA-media-ingesters would know? At the same time, having guys like Ariel who would make claims for Conor still being the greatest while on a 4 fight skid would potentially be worse. Is it even possible to win with any ranking panel?

They should replace media members with ex-fighters or commission operated by a third party. Or even better create a point system.

Rankings wont matter anyway.
Why not just base title shots on IG followers and twitter beefs.

Serious media personalities?

Look no further than multi-millionaire A-level analyst Stephen Anthony Smith. I believe he should be the one to make rankings for all male divisions excluding flyweight

Luke Thomas can do the same for flyweights + WMMA

Rankings wont matter anyway.
Why not just base title shots on IG followers and twitter beefs.
Isn't that happening already?

Legit MMA media kinda collectively agreed not to take part in it, as they didn't want a conflict of interest.

Logan Paul, Michael Jai White, Justine Bieber and Steven Seagal should inside fight the octagon.

Who? MMA media is a joke. None of them have the balls to stand up to Dana.

I guess. Doesn't mean the #1 ranked contender will get the shot over a fighter who will sell PPV.

Let a team of elite Sherdog posters submit rankings.

Honestly we should get a group of posters to rank top 15's then tally them together and see what we get.

Everyone's list would be posted publicly and if anyone has a completely ridiculous list they get cut and replaced

Ratings exist because you can't sell "Brazilian guy you've never heard of" vs. "some Japanese guy I can't pronounce" but you can easily sell "#7 vs #11". The UFC never wanted rankings because that's not how their matchmaking is structured. It was Fox's idea and it makes good business sense. No avid follower needs rankings to tell them how good a fighter is or isn't but people insist these rankings are supposed to mean anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back