Isn’t strange that Luke never

Yeah you would think training with Cormier, Khabib and Cain he would have incorporated more wrestling into his offense. When you're a striker that gets hit, and your chin has been cracked repeatedly it's time to switch things up. However wrestling is brutal on your body and hard to get better at in your 30s, especially if you're natural at the time.

His big dong gets in the way when he goes for a double or single leg.

Other than that, he always thinks his standup is Godlike and wants to trade until he realizes he is getting tagged left and right and then it's too late to switch things up.

I do wonder if his extremely large third leg slows him down.

I've never seen one so big.

I dislike that I knew who you are talking about.

I don't see Rockhold as a first name only guy.

That's for people like Khabib, Jon and Colby.

Other than that, he always thinks his standup is Godlike and wants to trade until he realizes he is getting tagged left and right and then it's too late to switch things up.
@Oceanmachine literally drools over big cocks. he would like this post.

He was a bjj guy first who fought off his back. He had to learn striking for MMA. He was also tall and it's hard to wrestle when everyone is pretty much shorter than you. It is easier when you grow into it as a kid vs learning it as a fully grown adult

his massive ego is what holds him back, the guy is a talented grappler but if you ask him he'll also tell you he's god's gift to striking which is straight up delusional

News Flash: American Kickboxing Academy is overrated by Sherdog!
Just because they've had some great wrestlers show up there doesn't mean they are great at training anything.
DC, Khabib, Cain etc. were all great wrestlers before they arrived at AKA.

well his striking wasnt all that bad right, only after he got figured out.

Well for all we know he tried and couldn't quite learn it. We don't always pick up shit at elite level no matter how hard we try.

His move at LHW could have been about him being heavier in order to drag opponents down, he tried HARD to take Blachowicz down, sadly for him Jan's got great defense.

He has the consistency of a Michael Johnson.

Luke is good…just not consistently. He can be a world beater on any given night, but also lose on any given night

Why did Jake Shields never develop explosive striking?

The above is obviously more extreme example, but still, people have limits they can't easily breach, especially when they're training dozens of other things.
But isnt Luke good on the ground? not the best example, but he subbed Bisping with one arm, demolished Weidman on the ground too, i was under the impression that he has good grappling, but he seems to be in love with his standup, even when his biggest loses have come from it.

He is in a room full of wrestlers. He developed a winning strategy in the training room where he is the best kicker and can't take people down. Than he fights people he probably could takedown but can't out kickbox.

Its an incongruity kinda thing

His wrestling is pretty decent. Once he ties up with someone he can get them down.

The problem is his ability to close from striking to grappling range. He's never seemed to learn how to get from range to in close where he can force the takedown.

Guys like GSP had atomic double legs as did fighters like DC but both of them put a ton of training into those techniques. Once Luke has someone down its game over. He outgrappled primer Jacare for example.

I think his size also works against him. He doesn't have the compact wrestler's build that guys like DC and Khabib had. If he shoots his head is still way up in striking range.

Couture was really good at closing distance and using dirty boxing to force a grappling exchange where he could torque someone down. Then again he had a wrestling background

Learned how to wrestle and take his opponents down and just submit them instead of turning into a kickboxer with bad defense( with all those years at AKA)? What do u think the reasons that kept him from evolving?

i totally get what you’re saying but some people just want to fight a certain way. When you have kicks like his, one of the reasons you even do this is to starch people with them. Like has a healthy enough ego to want to win in a certain style ;)

Rockcock

Honestly I think his stance holds back his offensive wrestling quite a bit. He’s so bladed and upright that even faking a level change is a serious commitment for him movement wise.

But isnt Luke good on the ground? not the best example, but he subbed Bisping with one arm, demolished Weidman on the ground too, i was under the impression that he has good grappling, but he seems to be in love with his standup, even when his biggest loses have come from it.

Well, sure he is very good on the ground.

The very point is that he's not very good at getting it to the ground. People have various abilities in different areas of striking or grappling.

The great grappler who isn't very good at takedowns, or actually dragging the fight to the ground is sadly an archetype in MMA.

See Kron Gracie vs Cub Swanson.

Learned how to wrestle and take his opponents down and just submit them instead of turning into a kickboxer with bad defense( with all those years at AKA)? What do u think the reasons that kept him from evolving?
jav said all they do is spar at aka. sadly luke never figured out what to do

Back