Islam's UFC Future - Move divisions?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by SmoothPies, Jan 21, 2020.

1. SmoothPies

SmoothPies Blue Belt

I feel like Islam is in a similar place that Cormier was in when Cain was champ. He's near the top of the division, and if he got a few top 10 wins he would probably be in line to fight for the title normally but not in this case as he trains with Khabib.

From the UFC's perspective, you don't really want to match Islam up with contenders in that division because if he has no plans of challenging Khabib, what's the point?

It would be different if Khabib was 40 and going to retire soon, but I just don't see Khabib stopping for awhile (no matter what he says). Everyone says they are going to retire early, few ever do, especially if you're on the throne.

I feel like Islam should make a move to FW or WW. He's 28 and in/about to hit his prime, I think it's time he stepped out of Khabib's shadow and made a run for a title.

2. BooBoyMan

BooBoyMan Brown Belt

No. Khabib will retire soon, like 1 or 2 years soon, moving to a different division when he's already having a lot of success at LW would be dumb.
    FW would be too big of a weight cut for him and he would be at a size disadvantage at WW.

coldtruth and omawho402 like this.
  3. Lovelyboy

Lovelyboy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He's big enough for welterweight. Imo he should move up. The only reason UFC aren't giving him fights is he's a)"boring" to the casuals (his striking and grappling is really technical so I disagree) and B) khabib has even greater incentive to retire

BJJ4Tone likes this.
  4. Verace

Verace Gold Belt

You say he is in a situation similar than cormier, yet the UFC would have never had cormier fight unranked guys just "because cain".

This theory is bollocks

5. SmoothPies

SmoothPies Blue Belt

Well to be fair - when Cormier fought at HW, the division was extremely shallow (it still kind of is), so there weren't a ton of un-ranked guys. He fought Roy Nelson and Frank Mir, two people that at the time were not in the title picture and both coming off losses.

RightToBareKnuckles likes this.
  6. Verace

Verace Gold Belt

Being shallow has nothing to do with the division not having unranked fighters. The talent not being great doesnt mean there arent bodies in the division

Both the guys you mentioned are well known names, which is exactly what you are asking for islam

7. SmoothPies

SmoothPies Blue Belt

True, has had a lot of success at LW. Idk - obviously only Khabib knows but I don't see him retiring. This is a theme we have seen many times in combat sports, there are maybe like 2 or 3 people that have retired at the top (GSP, Andre Ward). So hard to retire when you're the best