Media Islam says he will smash "Grandpa" RDA

Well now you’re kinda selling me on the UFC trying to set that up, they should’ve let Chandler know because he seemed like he thought it was best to just stay an analyst and not do the Tony Ferguson thing and start cutting a promo lol.

I thought it was stupid Chandler didn’t want the fight, even if Islam was 7 a win over him would be huge, everyone knows how good he is, but Chandler wants Gaethje… it’s so annoying. Thank god the UFC still basically tells them what to do so it doesn’t turn into Boxing.
My belief is they gave Islam #5 to make him compete against Chandler in October on the Abu-Dhabi Card. Islam wants to come back in December, not october, but the UFC would really like another muslim fighter on the card and if he beats Chandler, it does more for him in that market than being RDA. I think Tony has name value, but in the states, I'm not sure about overseas.

It sells itself. Former Title contender, almost finished the champion, knocked out a top 6 LW fight Islam on Muslim soil, an exciting fighter against Islam - his big opportunity to make a name for himself. We'll see if that actually happens because that timeline seems to be too soon for Islam's camp. so Chandler might actually just end up fighting gaethje on Dustin vs Oliveira's card, but its clear what they UFC are doing. They want options, that's why they moved Islam to 5. It gives them a choice like I said. They have options.

My belief is they gave Islam #5 to make him compete against Chandler in October on the Abu-Dhabi Card. Islam wants to come back in December, not october, but the UFC would really like another muslim fighter on the card and if he beats Chandler, it does more for him in that market than being RDA. I think Tony has name value, but in the states, I'm not sure about overseas.

It sells itself. Former Title contender, knocked out a top 6 LW fight Islam on Muslim soil, an exciting fighter against Islam - his big opportunity to make a name for himself. We'll see if that actually happens because that timeline seems to be too soon for Islam's camp. so he might actually just end up fighting gaethje on Dustin vs Oliveira's card, but its clear what they UFC are doing. They want options, that's why they moved Islam to 5. It gives them a choice like I said. They have options.
Why do you think Ali is on Islam’s Twitter calling RDA a grandpa? I don’t see Islam accepting a fight against Chandler right now honestly, like I said before I think he wants RDA and then a title shot because it would be the easiest path for him, I think that fight will get booked.

Why do you think Ali is on Islam’s Twitter calling RDA a grandpa? I don’t see Islam accepting a fight against Chandler right now honestly, like I said before I think he wants RDA and then a title shot because it would be the easiest path for him, I think that fight will get booked.
Again, Options. They're calling out Non-Dominance MMA members in the top 7ish. They were trying Chandler right after the fight and for almost a week. Don't be surprised if he calls out Tony via Twitter again. He's going to steadily call out all 3 imo. UFC wants him to fight in October, they want Dec, so they are keeping their options open.

UFC would gladly give him chandler if he would take it for Abudhabi, but he's not going to. That's also going to be a free card iirc. No ppv. Because its daytime.

He called out RDA in the octagon, that is clearly the fight him and his team are pushing for.

That's because Felder was interviewing and there was a backstory with Felder RDA and Islam from Oct 2020...Islam brought that up which lead to the callout. Within an hour when asked he said he'd prefer Chandler most

Stop calling out old men and fight dariush or something
Dominance MMA client. Islam is open to fighting him but you know, they're all ali clients. Ranks 2,3,5 are all Ali clients. Which is why he's only calling out Tony, Chandler, RDA

Here's islam saying he wouldn't mind fighting Dariush next if he had to:

That's because Felder was interviewing and there was a backstory with Felder RDA and Islam from Oct 2020...Islam brought that up which lead to the callout. Within an hour when asked he said he'd prefer Chandler most
Correct.

The UFC set it up that way, but Islam flubbed it and used his opportunity to call out RDA, following by the rest of the division (not by name). Its clear the management wants Islam vs Chandler for UFC 267 in Abu Dhabi. It's a free card. Islam wants to fight in Dec so he's calling out all three, but clearly the ufc and their team wants the same opponent. Just on different timeline. He said he's open to fighting Dariush but you know ali clients, he doesn't prefer they fight until title shot if they can avoid it. It's not impossible but not likely for high stake players.

@Orochimaru 大蛇丸

Correct.

The UFC set it up that way, but Islam flubbed it and used his opportunity to call out RDA, following by the rest of the division (not by name). Its clear the management wants Islam vs Chandler for UFC 267 in Abu Dhabi. It's a free card. Islam wants to fight in Dec so he's calling out all three, but clearly the ufc and their team wants the same opponent. Just on different timeline. He said he's open to fighting Dariush but you know ali clients, he doesn't prefer they fight until title shot if they can avoid it. It's not impossible but not likely for high stake players.

@Orochimaru 大蛇丸

Mmm interesting you’re more knowledgeable about this stuff than me. So basically you’re saying everyone wants Islam vs Chandler except Chandler? If this is the case I’m sure it will happen.

A part of me thinks they really want RDA and are just throwing Chandler in there because people are criticizing him for calling out RDA and Tony, am I wrong about this? Also why is Hooker not in there?

Mmm interesting you’re more knowledgeable about this stuff than me. So basically you’re saying everyone wants Islam vs Chandler except Chandler? If this is the case I’m sure it will happen.

A part of me thinks they really want RDA and are just throwing Chandler in there because people are criticizing him for calling out RDA and Tony, am I wrong about this? Also why is Hooker not in there?

I'm not knowledgeable just my reasons based on what's out there. I could be wrong.

Dana said he wants Beneil vs Islam next but I think he said that line after the press conference not knowing on the spot he's Ali's client or maybe was unimpressed by the performance and wanted to make gaethje Chandler happen. But he's not the only button pusher in the UFC. He's not a Vince mcmahon type. The buck doesn't stop with Dana.

I don't think Chandler wants to travel to abudhabi. As a fighter, who the hell does. Can't afford to fly the whole team out, you have to get acclimated from the jetlag in only a weeks time if you're going on the UFC's dollar.

I think ultimately Chandler is going to get what he wants. I don't think Dana or the UFC can push khabib's teammate to fight October. I think islam fights either dec or January/Feb.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dana asked Justin gaethje to be the backup to Charles vs Dustin. I wonder if he takes that backup spot and cuts the weight.

Last edited:

Hooker is on 2 fight losing streak. Lost 3 out of his last six. Same with Tony but Tony has the name and is ranked higher. I think RDA is the next logical fight for him. I think Chandler is the idealistic goal.

For some reason they're committed to only top 7 opponents. Preference is Chandler but whatever is available. I think Chandler puts him closer to title contention which is why I think he's the preference. Chandler just challenged for the title. Beating RDA shouldn't land him a title shot and probably won't. It'll land him a number one contender fight. Beating a guy who literally just challenged for the title, will land him a title shot if the win is impressive enough.

Islam doesn't want to rack up meaningless wins. They want meaningful wins that put them in title contention sooner than later, IMO. Islam's already behind the timeline the nurmagomedovs set for him. They want him moving along quickly.

Last edited:
I'll probably like him again after he crushes RDA like the old man he is. I just want to see him actually fight tough dudes that aren't old and too highly ranked

He should be calling out Dariush

Beneil said he wont fight until feb next year to look after his newborn, waste of time waiting for him

This interview was right after his fight with Moises, before any "criticism", timestamped

Back