Media Islam Makhachev on Mansour Barnaoui "My first hard fight"

Joinho10

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

For those that dont know Mansour Barnaoui is a French-Tuinisian MMA fighter that fights in Bellator now after coming back from a 3 year long layoff where he won a ROAD FC 1M tournament where he beat Shamil Zavurov a teammate of Islam Makhachev. Last weekend to start off his Bellator career he beat another Islam Makhachev teammate Adam Piccolotti.

Mansour Barnaouis only Ls are against world class opponents like Gamrot, Kevin Lee and Islam Makhachev

Look at this shit

Islam Makhachev and Mansour Barnaoui faced eachother 2013 in a close back and forth fight with most action taking place on the ground. Mansour Barnaoui found great success with sweeps and reverses with his nice half guard and some success with knees in the clinch while Islam found most success with heavy fast punches and lots of takedowns n control.

One thing to note is that Barnaoui gets two yellow cards one in round 2 his strongest round for fish hooking Islams mouth and eyepoking him while having Islam in a triangle... The second is for Glove hook after some warnings. Im not sure but I believe yellow card is a point deduction so that could have been very well what cost him the fight.

One good thing for Barnaoui is that another Islam Makhachev teammate is fighting in two weeks and that guy is fighting for the Bellator LW title.

Mansour Barnaoui Redemption arc?

A possible opponent for Islam if he continues on his win streak? 8 wins in a row and all finishes.

Can you imagine the UFC not signing guys like Mansour Barnaoui and Alex Shabliy? Really makes you wonder. Maybe they should offer fighters like this more than an 8k/8k contenders series opportunity.
Agree 100%. Dana just wants the younger guys who want to be in the UFC who aren't all that experienced as someone like Mansour Barnaoui is. I don't see this changing anytime soon though unfortunately.

Agree 100%. Dana just wants the younger guys who want to be in the UFC who aren't all that experienced as someone like Mansour Barnaoui is. I don't see this changing anytime soon though unfortunately.

Mansour was like 26 when he was last a free agent and Shabliy has been a top prospect at LW since he was like 23. Now Mansour is 30 and Shabliy is 29. A good chance they both turned down the UFCs offers back then, that's way more common than people realize. Sarvadzhon Khamidov and Roberto Soldic both recently turned the UFC down after being offered peanuts

Mansour was like 26 when he was last a free agent and Shabliy has been a top prospect at LW since he was like 23. Now Mansour is 30 and Shabliy is 29. A good chance they both turned down the UFCs offers back then, that's way more common than people realize. Sarvadzhon Khamidov and Roberto Soldic both recently turned the UFC down after being offered peanuts
From time to time I keep look up to see if Albert Tumenov is in the news on possibly resigning with the UFC. I felt he was unfairly cut and I think he could still make waves, he's only 30.

Can you imagine the UFC not signing guys like Mansour Barnaoui and Alex Shabliy? Really makes you wonder. Maybe they should offer fighters like this more than an 8k/8k contenders series opportunity.

You mean throw in some free Venum shorts? Rather than the usual 50% off

and in some cases, not wanting to deal with USADA

From time to time I keep look up to see if Albert Tumenov is in the news on possibly resigning with the UFC. I felt he was unfairly cut and I think he could still make waves, he's only 30.

Tumenov should have never been cut but his career reminded me a bit if Gunnars at 170lbs, albeit he was more successful. He should have tried making at 155lbs, I dont think he has the grappling, size or strength to stand up to a lot of these WW grapplers. I think now he probably makes more fighting in his backyard than it would be worth to always be schlepping around the world to fight in the UFC. The UFC discarded a lot of good fighters and kept a lot of low level guys through the years. This definitely isn't the Olympics of MMA.

and in some cases, not wanting to deal with USADA
I guess it’s quite fit in case of Soldic and Mansour though? I heard Khamidov and Shabliy tried to knock the door of UFC before they signed with Bellator, UFC just rejected it

Shabliy didn't turn them down, he accepted a late replacement fight against Leech I think it was but then the opponent got injured the fight got scrapped and they cancelled the offer.

They did lowball Tofiq Musaev with 12/12 though.

Tumenov went back to ACA on a multi fight contract in the end. They're not a promotion who usually releases guys under contract to go elsewhere so he'll likely be there for the next couple of years.

Same thing happened with Rustam Kerimov, Eduard Vartanyan, Yusuf Raisov, Mukhamed Vakhaev and Evgenny Goncharov who all left ACA for a while to try and get into the UFC but couldn't get signed and just ended up going back to ACA.

Azamat Kerefov and Murad Magomedov are both currently trying to do the same but I bet they both end up going back despite being 16-0 and 12-0 against decent competition.

Yeah Barnaoui is very good and would cause problems for many ufc top 10-15 guys in general. He's relatively young still too.

Back