Islam Makhachev champion

Only way he gets a shot in 2021 would be if someone gets injured and no one else is willing to step up on short notice. An Al Iaquinta scenario.

I don't see a win over Thiago Moises putting him over the top either. He's going to have to actually beat someone. So if Moises earns him a big fight in late 21, early 22 then MAYBE he could fight for the belt in '22, but I honestly think he may not get a shot till '23.

Seriously sherdawgs, what year do you think he will actually fight for the title?
2023-2024 if he keeps winning.

Charles will fight Dustin/Conor winner late 2021 possibly early 2022. After that Justin (or someone who beats him) will fight for the belt. Then you got Dariush and RDA who are both 1 big win away from a title fight. Then Islam can break into the picture provided none of these fights have controversy that need immediate rematches.

Last edited:
Do you think Islam will be champion in 2021 or in 2022?

2022. Only Gaethje and Chandler could pose a problem to him, the rest are cans including the paper champ and Dustin has no wrestling.

He's fighting next month. And i highly suspect he'll have another fight at end of year. His team has changed strategies, they saw Oliveira's path and they'll now focus on activity rather than getting big fights. He's on an 7 fight win streak, if he has a 9-10 fight win streak he really cannot be denied a title shot at that point, or at the very least a top contender fight.
Yes, that’s an optimistic hypothetical scenario. Hopefully it plays out like that. Just because I want for it to be like, I am not yet convinced it plays out like that.

2023-2024 if he keeps winning.

Charles will fight Dustin/Conor winner late 2021 possibly early 2022. After that Justin (or someone who beats him) will fight for the belt. Then you got Dariush and RDA who are both 1 big win away from a title fight. Then Islam can break into the picture provided none of these fights have controversy that need immediate rematches.

With a win over Moises Islam would have 8 fight win streak and his rank would go up from its current #9 to a #7-8, that should get him a top 5 opponent like Gaethje or Dariush in Fall or Winter of 2021, winner of which gets a TS in 2022.

I doubt Gaethje or Dariush get a TS by sitting out while Oliveira fights the winner or Dustin & Connor...that would mean Dustin or Conor fight 3 times while Gaetjhe sits out lol. Very unlikely.

He’ll have his chance in 2022, he needs three or even just two more wins and he’s there

With a win over Moises Islam would have 8 fight win streak and his rank would go up from its current #9 to a #7-8, that should get him a top 5 opponent like Gaethje or Dariush in Fall or Winter of 2021, winner of which gets a TS in 2022.

I doubt Gaethje or Dariush get a TS by sitting out while Oliveira fights the winner or Dustin & Connor...that would mean Dustin or Conor fight 3 times while Gaetjhe sits out lol. Very unlikely.
I specifically said Justin would have a fight 1st.
Winning vs Moises means nothing he likely stays #9 even.
Justin will fight Chandler or RDA or the conner/Dustin loser not Islam and be declared the #1 contender for it. Dariush did talk about Islam so maybe it's possible, Dariush is also "taking some time" so he probably will end up fighting in 2022 where the loser of Oliveira vs Dustin/connor title fight, and Islam will be on the outside looking in for another year. Let's say Islam gets Dariush, that means we see something like RDA vs Chandler the ufc will push that winner as a bigger draw before the islam/dariush winner so he's still looking at 2023.

He retires without ever breaking the top 5

Pullout merchant hardly fights.

maybe gets to number 1 contender in 2025.

Islam Makhachev will be Bellator champ in 2024. It will be cool to see him fight on the same card as Usman Nurmagomedov.

Ummm that's his friend and training partner. Khabib's opinion is very biased. Islam hasn't beaten anyone note worthy yet. We'll truly see how good the guy is once he's tested against someone in the top 5.

Don't forget, Islam had a hard time against Arman Tsarukyan.

Islam hasn't put his name in murderer's row yet at 155. As it stands right now, with all the talent at 155, I don't see Islam's name belonging in the basket of potential champions yet.

Hard time against Arman? looool what fight were you watching bud?

If Khabib says he'll be champ by 2022, then he'll be champ by 2022.
It's really that simple.

Islam is a scary dude. Already one of the best wrestlers in UFC history. People love to post that old clip of him getting clipped but since then he's improved his stand up significantly and is now statistically the best in the UFC in terms of strike defense.

He's fighting next month. And i highly suspect he'll have another fight at end of year. His team has changed strategies, they saw Oliveira's path and they'll now focus on activity rather than getting big fights. He's on an 7 fight win streak, if he has a 9-10 fight win streak he really cannot be denied a title shot at that point, or at the very least a top contender fight.

sounds about right.. Oliveira fought for the belt with 2 top 10 wins, Leon's about to beat Diaz and go into a title fight with 1 top ten win.. only RDA I think

If Khabib says he'll be champ by 2022, then he'll be champ by 2022.
It's really that simple.

Islam is a scary dude. Already one of the best wrestlers in UFC history. People love to post that old clip of him getting clipped but since then he's improved his stand up significantly and is now statistically the best in the UFC in terms of strike defense.

One of the best wrestlers in history? A guy who hasn't wrestled anyone in top 10 and is being touted as one of the greatest, okay?

Considering he hardly fights, maybe in 2025.

tumblr_nvomsie9v41tugoyjo2_500.gifv

Hard time against Arman? looool what fight were you watching bud?

Umm Arman took his back and dragged him to the ground like 3 times. Arman also scrambled out of full mount against Islam, reversed it and got him in a tight standing choke almost.

Arman definitely out wrestled Islam in round 1. For a guy that you tout as one of the best wrestlers in UFC history, he got out wrestled by a guy who never competitively competed in wrestling on a national or global level.

Back