News Islam Makhachaev vs Thiago Moises is the main event for the July 17 card

Lets go @Ackmed. Inshallah he wins!

tenor.gif

Figured they would do this. I still like Islam by decision but he seems like a pretty big LW so it'll be interesting to see him in championship rounds, perhaps.

I hope makachev doesn't take the same leon edwards route. The guy has to get an impressive finish if he wants to be considered for the title. Just look at what happened to leon. he went from might have a title shot to almost being knocked out and diaz winning the moral victory.
I agree.

Khabib also played it safe at first. Think we will see a new Makhachaev who goes for the finish. Just watch the end of the first round against Dober

I hope makachev doesn't take the same leon edwards route. The guy has to get an impressive finish if he wants to be considered for the title. Just look at what happened to leon. he went from might have a title shot to almost being knocked out and diaz winning the moral victory.
Impressive or entertaining? In the MMA-sphere these two get conflated quite easily. I thought his last performance was incredible impressive. Completely dominated and controlled his opponent, every TD attempt was successful, the armtriangle was an unusual one and he basically took no damage on top of all that. Was it entertaining? To me personally it was considering the sheer dominance and the will to finish the fight like Islam showed (deep armbar in the first round, etc.). But I understand when people say it needs to be entertaining from a different angle, esp. if you're looking towards a titleshot in the near future.

Might this benefit Moises more now that it's 5 rounds? With Makhachev having recovered from covid last year, maybe he'll struggle with cardio if it goes long.

Islam getting pushed now, I wonder what the poster is gonna look like

This fight still makes no sense for Islam but at least he gets a main event under his belt and (possibly) more eyeballs on him. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a weaker main event that didn't involve women.
A couple weaker main events come to mind:

Anthony Smith-Devin Clark
Thiago Santos-Eryk Anders

I agree.

Khabib also played it safe at first. Think we will see a new Makhachaev who goes for the finish. Just watch the end of the first round against Dober
When did Khabib ever take it safe?He won decisions, but it wasn't taking it safe imo, He needs to smash this guy. Like smash. He can win by decision, but he has to maul this guy. Khabib beat barboza by decision but it had everyone talking about how he just mauled barboza and talked to dana white. He won the POTN bonus. He doesn't need a finish. He just needs to put on an entertaining fight. Show this guy doesn't belong in your class. Don't lay on him, don't play it safe, just beat the piss out of the guy. It will build his hype.
Impressive or entertaining? In the MMA-sphere these two get conflated quite easily. I thought his last performance was incredible impressive. Completely dominated and controlled his opponent, every TD attempt was successful, the armtriangle was an unusual one and he basically took no damage on top of all that. Was it entertaining? To me personally it was considering the sheer dominance and the will to finish the fight like Islam showed (deep armbar in the first round, etc.). But I understand when people say it needs to be entertaining from a different angle, esp. if you're looking towards a titleshot in the near future.
Both.

Back