Ishe Smith, Boxing, White Fighters and Race

This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. No one watches boxing for shit like this. We americans like white boxers, black boxers, asian boxers, latino boxers- whoever. We like different styles, some like a Mayweather, some like a Pacquiao. Some liked to watch Chavez, some were fans of Whitaker.
Some people in this thread are trying awfully hard to put themselves on a pedestal because they, like 100's of 1000's of others like a certain boxer.
None of you are special because you prefer Lomachenko and some of us prefer someone else. How many more self validating posts are we going to have over perceived superiority over choice of favorite fighters.
Lomachenko is quite popular in the US. He's not some closely guarded secret that only a few european fans know about. He's a star because of American fans. If he hadn't left Europe, he'd still be an obscure nobody.
How do you normally watch the fights? Alone ? Or in a group setting?

How do you normally watch the fights? Alone ? Or in a group setting?
Recently, alone.
But back when I knew more people who followed the sport, we all had our favorites and I don't ever recall race being a deciding factor in who we watched. We watched boxing, no matter who was fighting.

If you only watch boxing because someone with the same color skin as you is fighting, then you're no boxing fan. You're a fan of something else.

I think you might have hit on something there. These same fans also like honest working class white fighters that get by on being rudimentary and tough like Carl Froch and Kelly Pavlik. They don't like the highly skilled white fighters like Lomachenko or Usyk because it doesn't fit their narrative. It reminds them of their failings as a white person because they realise they are so far down the white race in terms of ability and talent.

this a real post?

You’re reaching here. And not in a good way.
This is what we're seeing here-

giphy.gif

Recently, alone.
But back when I knew more people who followed the sport, we all had our favorites and I don't ever recall race being a deciding factor in who we watched. We watched boxing, no matter who was fighting.

If you only watch boxing because someone with the same color skin as you is fighting, then you're no boxing fan. You're a fan of something else.

Many people root for guys with their own skin color, boxing fans too. It could be flat out racist. Or it could be chalked up to instinct and the subconscious mind.

The group you hang out with may not feel that way. But when Canelo and Mayweather fought, there werent any black Canelo fans or hispanic floyd fans where i viewed the fight. There wasnt any tension between the two groups like you see with big baby nfl fans. But it was clear as day who was rooting for who. I dont think its wrong or racist to be honest.

Recently, alone.

Sometimes when I go out to a bar or a big place to watch it with strangers there are racial undertones. Especially during Floyd's fights.
Both for and against him
Floyd had that Obama/ Tiger Woods type of following. To where a ton of his fans were not fans of the sport. Just fans of a brother clearly being the best.

Sometimes when I go out to a bar or a big place to watch it with strangers there are racial undertones. Especially during Floyd's fights.
Both for and against him
Floyd had that Obama/ Tiger Woods type of following. To where a ton of his fans were not fans of the sport. Just fans of a brother clearly being the best.
Thats basically what I said though. Those people aren't fans of the sport, they are fans of the bar atmosphere, looking to start shit.

I will say, as the poster before you said, I do see this a bit from Mexican fight fans though. Exception to the rule, I suppose.

shame, i think its a worthwile topic to discuss

race has played a major part in the fury-wilder saga, both pre and post fight

Wilder tried to play this fight up as a race war and Fury shut that shit down

the irony is Fury is one of a very low number of white people in Britain that would’ve been subjected to racism, just like the black or Asian communities over here.

Thats basically what I said though. Those people aren't fans of the sport, they are fans of the bar atmosphere, looking to start shit.

I will say, as the poster before you said, I do see this a bit from Mexican fight fans though. Exception to the rule, I suppose.
Hmmm i see what you are saying. I was just looking at fan in the generic sense of the word.
Yes and a lot of Floyd's fans are a direct response to Mexican fight fans and their nationalism.

this a real post?
It's what makes sense to me. You have on the one hand great white hopes who have obvious flaws being crude yet powerful like Pavlik and Froch ( these nearly men are seen as loveable heros because they just fall short at the top) but on the other hand you have highly skilled white fighters the like of who haven't been seen since Willie Pep but they are denigrated as being overhyped, fighters like Usyk who unified the CW division and Lomachenko who is currently one of the most skilled boxers around.

We've seen it with all sorts of fighters. A famous one over in the UK is Frank Bruno. He was black but was adopted by many in a predominantly white society as being seen as a loveable black loser. He remained as one of the most loved boxers in British sports even when Lennox Lewis came along who was much more talented.

It's what makes sense to me. You have on the one hand great white hopes who have obvious flaws being crude yet powerful like Pavlik and Froch but on the other hand you have highly skilled white fighters the like of who haven't been seen since Willie Pep but they are denigrated as being overhyped, fighters like Usyk who unified the CW division and Lomachenko who is one of the most skilled boxers to ever step in the ring.
Everyone read this post and then ask yourselves who it is that only roots for certain races and fighters from certain regions. Hint: Its the guy saying everyone else does it.

Whites care about a fighters being White way less than Black folks think they do. They're very tribal and provincial. A White fighter has to leverage any and and all of his angles (ethnic heritage, nationality, home town, religion, alma mater, union membership) to have a built in following among Whites. And even then they still have to be active, entertaining, charismatic, and most importantly, good....

Like Tyson Fury. Cause nobody in the states gives a fuck about Gypsies, be they the pasty variety or the swarthy kind. In fact he'd be an even bigger star states-side if he was 'Murican, "Irish," "Italian," or African-American.

Fury shut the race talk down quick. Too perilous for white celebrities to go there.

It's what makes sense to me. You have on the one hand great white hopes who have obvious flaws being crude yet powerful like Pavlik and Froch ( these nearly men are seen as loveable heros because they just fall short at the top) but on the other hand you have highly skilled white fighters the like of who haven't been seen since Willie Pep but they are denigrated as being overhyped, fighters like Usyk who unified the CW division and Lomachenko who is currently one of the most skilled boxers around.

We've seen it with all sorts of fighters. A famous one over in the UK is Frank Bruno. He was black but was adopted by many in a predominantly white society as being seen as a loveable black loser. He remained as one of the most loved boxers in British sports even when Lennox Lewis came along who was much more talented.
But like...

(1) How are Froch/Pavlik loveable heroes who fell short at the top?
btw I bet you'd find more people who dislike Froch than like him

(2) "highly skilled white fighters the like of who haven't been seen since Willie Pep"....

Are you sure your not just really big fans of those two and maybe you can't understand why people are able to find flaws in them?

(3) Frank Bruno had a personality and connection to people

Lennox Lewis did not for a variety of reasons.

I think i just disagree with you in a general sense tbh

I've watched a few of the glove videos and haven't noticed a racial tone to them. Maybe I've seen different vids than you have.

Yeah actually it might have just been the first one I saw looked like that, maybe a couple. Obviously actual boxing people made videos about it too, but this is the one I had in mind that I saw first:

White boxing fans are more likely to root nationality over race.

Yeah actually it might have just been the first one I saw looked like that, maybe a couple. Obviously actual boxing people made videos about it too, but this is the one I had in mind that I saw first:

I couldn't make it one minute into that video. Too obnoxious. "Its quiet. Its quiet. Its quiet. Its quiet. Its quiet. Its quiet.":rolleyes:
What did he say that was racist?

Everyone read this post and then ask yourselves who it is that only roots for certain races and fighters from certain regions. Hint: Its the guy saying everyone else does it.
Oh so the no quoting each other is over then?

Back