Ishe Smith, Boxing, White Fighters and Race

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MoreKane, Mar 24, 2020.

1. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

bill cosby said that too and the minute he was in trouble he started whistling a different tune. Really depends on the person, one of my music heroes, Nat King Cole was called an uncle tom by Thurgood Marshall for not saying a negative word about some of the people who were giving him a hard time in the south, if you know the first thing about Nat, you'd know he was about the gentlest, most non-confrontational man you could imagine, not a fighter and I wouldn't call him an uncle tom either. Yes, you're correct, anyone with any kind of notoriety is gonna deal with criticism, can't please everyone. Neil's a nerd, I couldn't imagine him having a lot of feelings about race, it might have been different had he had the same run ins that other black men had in different fields. People do have bias', we, you and i and everyone else will run across people who just will not like us because of one thing or the other, a lot of hurt wounded people out here because of it. Neil doesn't seem to be one, good for him.

ironically, my black stepdad started repeating a story to me about how seatlle police would call him the n word when he was a seattle cop, the funny thing about it, was he never, ever said anything about racism, warranted or not until the last couple years, never, and I remember growing up, he could only get jobs selling shoes and shit. Never complained, and only blamed himself.

Mr.Maelstrom and Old Cat like this.
  2. seau45

seau45 Brown Belt

See I would think black fans would chalk this up to "well, whitey has to win one eventually" and move on

Mr.Maelstrom and Ultra O’Dia like this.
  3. Seano

Seano Hands of bone Yellow Card

Are you really surprised that different people like different fighters? And the only reason you can fathom is racial bias?

4. MoreKane

MoreKane Yellow Card Yellow Card

Ishe got dogpiled by the LDBC and called a C**n because he didn't buy into the glove conspiracy with Fury

so yeah, don't tell me that boxing isn't race related

Ruv likes this.
  5. Seano

Boxing isn't race related.
    Stupid people are attracted to all facets of life. But you don't really believe that people are only fans of certain fighters based on race, I don't accept that you do. I'm white as a ghost and my favorite fighters are generally black. I'm sure you like fighters of different races as well.

Mr.Maelstrom and Old Cat like this.
  6. MoreKane

the LDBC certaintly is, in fact they have a narrow category of fighters they enjoy.That category is

-African American fighters that have to be signed with PBC. Anything outside that category, they tarnish and hate on. it's one thing to be fan of only American fighters, it's another thing to sh*t on every great fighter outside of that. These dudes are even worse. If your not signed with Uncle Al, they hate on you.

Why do you think they sh*t on Terrance Crawford?. They sh*t on Loma. Look you don't have to the biggest Loma fan, but if you don't appreciate his skills, abilities and especially his footwork then i really can't take someone serious as a boxing fan. Ishe is really going after alot of them right now. Fred, BoxingEgo,78 sports tv etc. etc.

Mickf likes this.
  7. ImmigrantMentality

ImmigrantMentality Purple Belt

I always took Ishe as one of those guys who would hate on any boxer that wasn't black because of how he always discredits Pacquiao and Golovkin but maybe he's just a Mayweather goon and hates anyone that Floyd doesn't like

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  8. bangalangin

bangalangin White Belt

True whites can even prefer black boxers which would be some form of racism. Also though, mostly people like boxers from their country in my experience and don't judge on race as much.

This whole glove thing does look pretty race related though. Aren't the main people who put out the videos some kind of black rights group or something, who refuse to accept a white guy could beat a black guy and make up some crazy theory so they don't have to accept it?

Ultra O’Dia likes this.
  9. MoreKane

Well Seano is, i assume, a white american that prefers black fighters.... I'm not suprised to be honest. Growing up, White americans are often used to seeing African-Americans and hispanics as dominating American boxing. So when these Eastern Europeans come over since the 90s and do pretty well, its kind of culture shock a bit

DamianK1, aries and Ultra O’Dia like this.
  10. Seano

I've watched a few of the glove videos and haven't noticed a racial tone to them. Maybe I've seen different vids than you have.

11. Seano

One of my favorite fighters of recent times was Carl Froch. I like who I like. Doesn't matter where they are from.

12. MoreKane

LDBC are the only ones promoting it.....its clear as day

Ultra O’Dia likes this.
  13. Ultra O’Dia

Ultra O’Dia Brown Belt

wait

you are an Indian with a black stepdad?

That is.....

awesome, i think.

DamianK1, Mr.Maelstrom and mozfonky like this.
  14. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

I think so too

15. Uptown Swinger

Uptown Swinger --⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆- ✡ -⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆--

The very large majority of black fans did exactly that but they're not the ones on social media getting this attention. It's a very small percentage of fans that were dumb enough to feed into that BS excuse.

seau45 likes this.
  16. Yourstepdad

Yourstepdad Purple Belt

While we're discussing race here

Technically, Canelo is as white as they come. "Latino" is not a race, but a cultural/linguistic concept.

Something else i find strange: the one drop rule. As a European person of mixed descent i find it very strange that Americans consider me just black. As if that's the only thing that defines me as a person

But of course Americans have a different history that causes this way of thinking.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    DamianK1 likes this.
  17. aries

aries Silver Belt

I think you might have hit on something there. These same fans also like honest working class white fighters that get by on being rudimentary and tough like Carl Froch and Kelly Pavlik. They don't like the highly skilled white fighters like Lomachenko or Usyk because it doesn't fit their narrative. It reminds them of their failings as a white person because they realise they are so far down the white race in terms of ability and talent.

18. Seano

This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. No one watches boxing for shit like this. We americans like white boxers, black boxers, asian boxers, latino boxers- whoever. We like different styles, some like a Mayweather, some like a Pacquiao. Some liked to watch Chavez, some were fans of Whitaker.
    Some people in this thread are trying awfully hard to put themselves on a pedestal because they, like 100's of 1000's of others like a certain boxer.
    None of you are special because you prefer Lomachenko and some of us prefer someone else. How many more self validating posts are we going to have over perceived superiority over choice of favorite fighters.
    Lomachenko is quite popular in the US. He's not some closely guarded secret that only a few european fans know about. He's a star because of American fans. If he hadn't left Europe, he'd still be an obscure nobody.

19. Boxiana

Boxiana Purple Belt

You’re reaching here. And not in a good way.

20. WklySportsMemes

WklySportsMemes Brown Belt

There are videos of whites calling out the glove thing.
    There is also a large country white fella on this forum who is the biggest proponent of Fury at least cheating by lacing.