Ishe Smith, Boxing, White Fighters and Race

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I wanted to make this thread, as much as I don't want to talk about race, the discourse before and after the Wilder-Fury fight has defintelly been racial in nature, and I wanted to get your honest opinions on it. Something i noticed from a certain sub-section of boxing fans, particulary American fans. I often see many of these people in this sub-section disliking fighters like Lomachenko, Usyk, Fury etc, and it bewilders me a bit. I don't get how anyone can hate Lomachenko. some of the dislike you get towards fighters like Lomachenko and Fury ,I believe, are unfortunately racial in nature.They jus thave to be. why would you dislike Lomachenko one of the most complete fighters in the history of boxing for any other reason.As a boxing fan, you should admire Loma, even if he isn't your favorite fighter

I think, and I'm not saying this a huge amount of people, but a substantial amount of people tend to have some animosity towards any deocrated white fighter, as Ishe Smith said

in many ways this thread is a discussion about Ishe's comments

Ishe has been very "pro black" over the years. He often has played the race card. This just goes to show though that you can't stray from the narrative or they will turn on you in an instant. You can't give an honest opinion if that opinion is "wrong."

This will go downhill fast
shame, i think its a worthwile topic to discuss

race has played a major part in the fury-wilder saga, both pre and post fight

Wilder tried to play this fight up as a race war and Fury shut that shit down

Like a lot of us, Ishe is feeling the effects of cabin fever because of the home isolation that’s happening and that’s the best he can come up with?

Like a lot of us, Ishe is feeling the effects of cabin fever because of the home isolation that’s happening and that’s the best he can come up with?
he has a point though I feel... look at the lists of conspiracy theories that came from the LDBC after this fight

Wilder tried to play this fight up as a race war and Fury shut that shit down

not the topic but the internet’s ability to maturely discuss the matter that I doubt.

moreover, I’d rather be in a place where we can just discuss the merits of the fighter in and out of the ring, I realize to some extent this is impossible- the eastern euro style matters, the Philly fighter matters, the Cuban ammie style etc.

I liked Kassim Ouma cause he had a fun style, heart and a horrific tale of survival. I disliked Paulie M cause he was an annoying twat - sideways hat, NY schtick. Turns out he grew on me because of his heart.

let’s just move past it

all i'll say as a longtime fan is that racial stuff is nowhere near what it was when i was young. Larry Merchant actually feared for a riot during the holmes cooney fight and i don't think we have that kind of rage around now, at least in the us.

all i'll say as a longtime fan is that racial stuff is nowhere near what it was when i was young. Larry Merchant actually feared for a riot during the holmes cooney fight and i don't think we have that kind of rage around now, at least in the us.

except when Golota fought!

Wilder and Fury come from different countries and have drastically different fighting styles and personalities. It's normal for there to be a big rivalry between fans in big fights, especially in cases like this.

except when Golota fought!
Ya but that was also a few years back and i thought there was a big element of race in the proceedings. what's wierd about that was golota was a pre-klitscko who didn't pan out, and he seemed to get the whites in the crowd ready to fight and bowe's fans and management team have never been above doing a little damage to the arena. anyway, usually, non americans never have the gerry cooney effect for whatever reason. jerry quarry would have been a hero had he beaten ali and chuvalo? who knows.

Last edited:
It was pretty random that Wilder kept going with the race angle, probably to sell some extra tickets during Black History month. I'm not sure if Irish travelers and African-Americans have ever interacted historically.

As a community, today, the travelers are much worse off than Black Americans. I believe the life expectancy among them is like 50-60 years. Apparently over half of them don't live over the age of 39 years. 80% don't make it to 65. They're six times more likely to commit suicide than the average citizen. That's borderline medieval.

Tyson Fury will have basically beaten the odds if he makes it to 40.

Last edited:
It's common for a historically persecuted minority to enforce solidarity by turning on their own at any sign of disloyalty. See Uncle Tom or self hating Jew. Unfortunately these pejoratives are too often used reflexively to go after a member who dares to have an opinion different than the consensus.

Last edited:
It was pretty random that Wilder kept going with the race angle, probably to sell some extra tickets during Black History month. I'm not sure if Irish travelers and African-Americans have ever interacted historically.

As a community, today, the travelers are much worse off than Black Americans. I believe the life expectancy among them is like 50-60 years. Apparently over half of them don't live over the age of 39 years. 80% don't make it to 65. They're six times more likely to commit suicide than the average citizen. That's borderline medieval.

Tyson Fury will have basically beaten the odds if he makes it to 40.
i didn't watch much of the prefight stuff, but they were both calm and respectful until the last couple days. if wilder was trying to make it about race, fury was smart enough not to retaliate, calling him a dosser, which most americans wouldn't even know the definition of.

It's common for a historically persecuted minority to enforce solidarity by turning on their own at any sign of disloyalty. See Uncle Tom or self hating Jew. Unfortunately these pejoratives are too often used reflexively to go after a member who dares to have an opinion different than the consensus.
it's almost impossible not to be called an uncle tom or as we indians call it, an "apple", red on the outside white on the inside. It's a real thing though, I know plenty of Indians who despise their own, we had a famous local author (sherman alexie) who treated his own people like shit for years, unfortunately for him, me too came along last year and ended his career. Now.., that's a horrible position to be in, the white world doesn't want him and he made plenty of enemies with his own people. Bill Cosby is a real good example, not that he's a kissass but he wasn't above attacking his own people, even his own family, to stay in the good graces of society.

in terms of wilder, i was really surprised that he had a good black american following, I was under the impression that he wasn't very popular with anyone. So, to see the sour grapes (normal for the fans of any fighter), it just showed me he had a following.

it's almost impossible not to be called an uncle tom or as we indians call it, an "apple", red on the outside white on the inside. It's a real thing though, I know plenty of Indians who despise their own, we had a famous local author (sherman alexie) who treated his own people like shit for years, unfortunately for him, me too came along last year and ended his career. Now.., that's a horrible position to be in, the white world doesn't want him and he made plenty of enemies with his own people. Bill Cosby is a real good example, not that he's a kissass but he wasn't above attacking his own people, even his own family, to stay in the good graces of society.

I'm not saying the callouts aren't sometimes justified, but too often I think people are forced to represent their race or other group rather than have their own views as individuals, not group representatives. That must be a burden. I've listened to an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson where he basically said he was tired of answering questions about being a black scientist. He said he wanted to be a scientist and talk about science.

Back