1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Isami Sachiko Double Weave Blue VS Shoyoroll(Batch 7-when released)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by fan22, Jul 5, 2010.

1. fan22 Brown Belt

I want to hear from anyone out there that has any feedback on either of these gis.

I am in the market for another gi. I have gone out and got some cheaper gi(Vulkan Ultra Light, Fuji and a Brazillian Combat Gi) and now I am wanted to step it up a little in quality.

It would be great if anyone out there owned both an Isami and a Shoyoroll(any batch or release). I am looking for a comparison on both quality and fit.

Or just general suggestions on which way to go.

[​IMG]

one of my fav batches(even if I don't own one)...

[​IMG]

2. nykayfabe Green Belt

I've been meaning to do a complete review on the Isami but haven't found the time. Provided you don't have an atypical body type better served by a brand specifically catering to your build (e.g.: tall & slender = Lucky), I think the Isami is the best gi you can buy. Is it worth $200? I dunno. But of all the gis I've owned it's the one that I think most justifies the steep price tag. It is actually substantively different than other gis. The cotton used on the top and bottom is so much softer than anything else I've tried, that it hardly feels like a gi at all. If I had to compare to something, I'd say it has the feel of a well-worn sweatshirt. Despite this plushness, it certainly doesn't feel anything like a double weave, but more like a light single.

I also think the collar is the perfect thickness and stiffness. Some have taken issue with the wider cut of the sleeves but I really don't find them that wide at all (and I don't have Popeye arms). They're cut more narrow than the Gameness Pearl I had and I haven't experienced any problems breaking grips on them. Overall, I think the need for a gi to be very form-fitting is overrated and I've never experienced any issues even with a judo-cut gi affecting my game. In my experience. the weight and feel of the material seems to contribute more that. Indeed, I find ultra/summer/light kimonos provide opponents with easier grips than heavier kimonos, regardless of the actual cut.

I also don't care for the slim-cut pant leg trend in gis because it provides resistance when raising my knees toward my chest. I like the roomier, more traditional cut on the Isami pants (not as baggy as HCK, though).

As far as aesthetics go, I think the Isami is as nice as anything out there. I would, however, say the same about the white/red Superlite SYR you referenced above.

The fit of SYR batches have been hit or miss for me as I've found the sleeves too long, torso too baggy, or the pants shrunk too much. I still own just one of the 4 SYR I've actually bought: the blue batch #6 which looks great, fits fine overall with the sleeves just a shade too long.

This is just my opinion, so if you're a die-hard SYR fan ready to flame anyone who doesn't carry the flag with your same fervor, relax. For reference, I'm 5'5", 155 lbs and an A1 in both brands. Hope this helps.

3. fan22 Brown Belt

These little intricacies that you mentioned are exactly what I was looking for as far as responses go.

How was the shrinking with the Isami? I am right in the middle of the A3 sizing spectrum.

4. nykayfabe Green Belt

I bought it off someone who used it one time and I don't know how he washed or dried it initially. However, I can say that I've washed it in hot once and then cold about 7 times, drying always with pants in the dryer and jacket hung. Neither the top or bottom have shrunk since I got it and I really doubt it shrunk much on that very first wash, since it doesn't have any of the usual signs of that like material bunching around the seams in certain areas.

If you're in doubt about the size, I think buying from chokesports.com with their custom options might be the way to go.

5. Polvo White Belt

I am 5'9 and weigh around 210 and the Isami A3 fits me perfect. The only thing I have a problem with in regards to this gi is the sleeves. They are cut sort of like a judo gi and seem to be a bit baggier than my Shoyoroll (I own a Batch 6 and the Comp 450 both A3s).

To clarify I love both, but I prefer my Blue Isami as a training gi as it requires me to tighten things up and work on grip fighting a little bit more because people have more to grab onto.

6. nykayfabe Green Belt

Really weird that I have just the opposite experience. When I rock my SYR Batch #6, my opponents seem to get and keep grips much easier because the material is so thin. Body types, training partners, and who knows what else all factor into your overall experience. Quality-wise, I think the Isami is in a class of its own, when compared to the other kimonos I've used or rolled against a lot.

7. Polvo White Belt

The material is a little bit thinner as it is a super-lite, but with the Isami it is baggier on the sleeves so there is more to grab onto. I love both gis and I would recommend either, but the Shoyoroll (if you can get them) is a little bit cheaper.

In the future I will be buying one or the other if I need a new Gi.

8. SunnyDee White Belt

I own the Isami and a batch 6 Shoyoroll. While both are great gis and you would probably be happy with either, the Isami is just in another league for fit, function, and comfort, as far as I am concerned. I agree with everything that was said in the first post replying to your thread.

That being said, I would buy the Isami from chokesports.com instead of from budo. Budo is a great company, but you can completely customize your Isami gi on chokesports.com Picking size options weave options and even patch options. It will be 10 or 20 bucks more on chokesports, but I definitely think it is worth it.

My Lavato Jr. Lucky gi is the only gi that I like more than my Isami, and there are still things about the Isami that I like better.

9. kying418 Blue Belt

Just curious, do you dry your gi's in the drier? I'm approximately your size, but have always worn A2 gi's. However, I put mine in the drier in high heat all the time, as I don't have to worry about the gi's becoming too small.

I'm thinking maybe I should go for A1's, but I dont want to have to worry about my gi's shrinking...

10. nykayfabe Green Belt

For A1, no I usually hang dry and they fit better than my A2 gis which I use the dyer on.

11. situation4life Orange Belt

the batch 7 details should be coming out sometime soon, all i know is that luke stewart is designing it and it's going to be black.

12. tlrnick Orange Belt

No other colors, just black?

13. Polvo White Belt

That is what they said it will probably be just one color most batches are, except batch 6.

14. tlrnick Orange Belt

That's good to know, I'm not a fan of black Gis so it will make my choice a hell of a lot easier.

15. fan22 Brown Belt

Anyone have advise, Isami-wise about sizing?

I am 5' 10.5" and about 175lbs. I am right in the middle of the A3 sizing.

16. BorisBJJ White Belt

I am 5'11 185lbs and I have an A3 Isami Double Weave that I never use because it's so big.

Definitely go with an A2 - their sizing chart is wrong IMO.

17. fan22 Brown Belt

Ok good to know. I was just going to through my process of filling out the order form and then aborting..yet again.

I am glad I came back to thread again.

I have seen some good suggestions regarding where to order the GI from, but that said, which site has the best customer service, if you do run into a sizing issue, quality issue, etc.

18. fan22 Brown Belt

Well its crunch time and I am no closer in choosing just one.

Might have to get both to eliminate my dilemma.:icon_lol:

19. SUPERGRAPPLER Purple Belt

Isami has been in the dogi business for a long long time. If you could get both then for sure, but if I had to pick one I like the Isami. Plus if you order from chokesport you can totally customize which patches you want and the colors you want them in.

20. fan22 Brown Belt

If Shoyoroll keeps the price the same, then I will probably get one of each(SYR and ISami).

I just hope i am fast enough to snag one during the pre-order.