Is your BJJ belt ranked based on....

DeathMetalHead

White Belt
Reaction score
Is your BJJ belt rank based on how much money you spent at a school rather than your skill level?

It appears to me if you stay at a school long enough, and spend enough money your BJJ belt rank will increase regardless of how your skill level is going.

Also if you are very high skilled but only trained at a club for a short period of time you will have to wait to get a belt that is your level.

However in Judo if they think you;re good they can jump you multiple belts in one go.

Discuss.

My belt is based on pure utter domination of all the newb High School and D1 rasslers that come in to our BJJ/MMA school and declare that they 'wanna fight'

Does it make your dick hard to try and start e fights on the Internet? How old are you son?

lol at wanna be wrestlers, go to an actual gym and roll with some newbies, you'll get an idea of what belts are based on...

I would argue a belt format is a ridiculous way to determine skill level. Rather results and competition is a much better way.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed hundreds of times but heres my 2 cents... At my school it's sort of like this; You are awarded stripe every 3-4 months or so if you are progressing, they aren't neccessarily a sign of skill, just that you have been putting in your work and showing up. When you get your 3rd stripe you are eligible to take a test to move on to the next belt. This involves a technique test where you are tested from many different positions on knowing what to do and how to react from certain positions. You may demonstrate a technique and then they may ask "what if he defends by doing this...." then you may need to switch it up. You are graded on a 0-100 scale and I think you have to get above a certain score to move on. The next section of the test is a physical test that involves rolling non-stop for an hour with your partner switching every 60 seconds to a fresh partner. The goal here is just to last and fight smart, I don't think you are graded on how many times you get tapped, just that you aren't lazy and work the whole time. I'm sure there can be exceptions for instance if you were a purple coming from another gym you might move up faster, but you still have to put in the same time and work that us white belts are putting in.
I think a lot of people on a forum like this are always concerned with the competitive side and competing, but there's nothing in the BJJ rulebook that says you can't be a 80 years old, train for 2 years and be awarded a blue belt because you're understanding of BJJ has increased to blue belt level. He still might get beat by the fat whitebelt who wrestled in highschool, but that doesn't take away from his understanding of the martial art. Not everyone has to be an ADCC champ to progress.

In any respectable gym, I don't think 'money' will ever lead to a higher belt rank.

Holy Shit! How long does this guy get a pass before a mod deletes his account?

Ed oneil trained consistantly for well over 16 years (mostly privates from rener and rorion, I believe)..... I wonder how much that cost.

(opens window, watches your theory fly out of it)

I would argue a belt format is a ridiculous way to determine skill level. Rather results and competition is a much better way.
I would argue you are a troll/retard/teenage kid who rides wrasslins nuts a bit.

How do you rate the skill level of someone who never has competed? I train 5 or even 10 years before my first comp, do I get to roll in to the beginners division?

I dont believe in belts there should be no ranking system for toughness.

I would argue you are a troll/retard/teenage kid who rides wrasslins nuts a bit.

How do you rate the skill level of someone who never has competed? I train 5 or even 10 years before my first comp, do I get to roll in to the beginners division?

I would argue that you are someone who is heavily biased towards BJJ and can't take legitimate criticism of a sport. I would also argue that BJJ is mainly an exercise in money making for Brazilians.

If i wanted to I could concentrate on BJJ I have been grappling for ten years. I however choose to train wrestling because I think it is a more honest sport. I actively choose to train wrestling because there isn;t as much bullshit as BJJ.

I would argue that you are someone who is heavily biased towards BJJ and can't take legitimate criticism of a sport. I would also argue that BJJ is mainly an exercise in money making for Brazilians.

If i wanted to I could concentrate on BJJ I have been grappling for ten years. I however choose to train wrestling because I think it is a more honest sport. I actively choose to train wrestling because there isn;t as much bullshit as BJJ.
I train wrestling with some guys on the side and have been discussing taking private lessons with a guy to help my wrestling.

How is a racket for brazilians when I train under a Mexican American BB? What BS do I have to put up with that makes it a dirty sport compared to wrestling?

I also don't come on an Internet forum to try and talk down to someone who trains another art because of my Napoleon complex and issues with self confidace.

I use wrestling to compliment my game because a well rounded grappler is what I aim to be. Not a submission only guy or a human blanket that once I get it to the ground can't finish.

You criticize the belt system, that is not a legitimate criticism of the sport. You can say the belt system sucks, I won't argue with you because I don't care. But if you are going to say that the art of bjj sucks because of the ranking system, that is illogical, the belt system does not define the art. What I've learned is that most people don't care about the belt system, but they respect it.

Go ahead and wrestle, that's your choice and I won't degrade it as a sport. But due to where we are, mma has made it fairly clear what happens when the two are matched against each other.

I train wrestling with some guys on the side and have been discussing taking private lessons with a guy to help my wrestling.

How is a racket for brazilians when I train under a Mexican American BB? What BS do I have to put up with that makes it a dirty sport compared to wrestling?

I also don't come on an Internet forum to try and talk down to someone who trains another art because of my Napoleon complex and issues with self confidace.

I use wrestling to compliment my game because a well rounded grappler is what I aim to be. Not a submission only guy or a human blanket that once I get it to the ground can't finish.

Don't take him seriously. He's been trolling the grappling forums as of late. Either that or he seriously has something against BJJ.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/why-there-misconception-among-bjj-practitioners-1285387/

There probably is less bullshit in wrestling but your criticism is illegitimate. A belt system is an orderly hierarchical method in addition to being tradition and, yes, a business tool. I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't think it's primarily a business tool and I don't think any legitimate school misuses it for profit, although it probably does happen.

You can't call a sport honest or dishonest, you're gripe is with governing bodies, not the BJJ community of which most of us are proud members.

what is the future for you in the sport of wrestling?

you "choose" to wrestle.

so where are training and at what level?
I like to hear of your wrestling achievements.

Once school is finished, what happen to competitive wrestling?

Is Wrestling actually a sport that can exist on his own or just an activity that can only exist to the fact that is part of some school program i.e American Football?

I mean do you have wrestler training in private school?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :::pauses for air::: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You criticize the belt system, that is not a legitimate criticism of the sport. You can say the belt system sucks, I won't argue with you because I don't care. But if you are going to say that the art of bjj sucks because of the ranking system, that is illogical, the belt system does not define the art. What I've learned is that most people don't care about the belt system, but they respect it.

Go ahead and wrestle, that's your choice and I won't degrade it as a sport. But due to where we are, mma has made it fairly clear what happens when the two are matched against each other.

Yeh the wrestlers win.

Back