Is Yoel looking like the only person in MW division to be safely on top?

No, he should have lost the decision to Jacare, and he should have been disqualified against Kennedy.

Uh? By what metric did he lose to Jacare? He beat Jacare everywhere. Yeah should have been DQ'd against Kennedy. He didn't answer the bell.

For a guy that does crazy things and sometimes likes to cheat or really bend the rules he wouldn't safely sit on top of a division.

The problem is Yoel is almost 40. Probably his biggest weakness at this point

Its really only a potential problem, not an actual one. And theres something about these Cuban athletes they age very well. Hector Lombard is only a year younger than Yoel. Alexis Vila is still fighting (granted hes losing) at 46. Alexis Rodríguez, the Cuban freestyle world champ is near 40 and still one of the top HWs in the world both in Freestyle & Greco. I don't think Yoel's age is a concern right now. We wont know until we know though.

I think we have a few MW's that can rotate the belt depending on the match ups when a certain fighter holds the belt. I think Weidman, Souza, Rockhold and Romero can be on top depending on who is fighting who. Romero probably has the least chance to remain on top for a long period of time because of his age, but you never know.

Yoel outstruck Kennedy and Machida

Kennedy stooled him. If you don't think that situation was sketchy then I dunno what to tell you. A lot of Yoel's wins are tainted in some way, or closer than expected (He was losing until he got that flying knee off the TD attempt from Weidman), and I think Jacare should have won the decision. I don't think anybody will stay at the top long.

No one is safely on top of anything, plus his age...
There was a reddit thread about how Romero doesn't know his actual age, so it's off by around 2 years. If its true, he would definitely be younger than his official age. It wouldn't be the first time someone in mma doesn't use their real age, or in this case, can't.

Last edited:
We know that for the past while MW was looking like a murderers row for each fighter in top 10. Everyone was looking like he would lose the title the next fight defending it because of all the upcoming killers having their turn. But so far it seems like Yoel Romero is the only one looking to establish considerable dominance over this crazy zoo den.

Yoel already took out a big deal of MW killers: Jacare, Weidman, Machida, Brunson. He now only need to take out Rockhold and Whittaker, and seeing Rockhold's chin he might easily be rid of one person holding back his GOAT status.

Didn't know Branson was a killer and he did not take jacare out.. I love how you left out mousasi. you scared he will smash Romero?
I favor jacare, moose, Whitaker, over Romero

There was a reddit thread about how Romero doesn't know how old he is, so his age is off by around 2 years. If its true, he would definitely be younger than his official age. It wouldn't be the first time someone in mma doesn't use their real age, or in this case, can't.
He does look younger than 39, makes sense...

We know that for the past while MW was looking like a murderers row for each fighter in top 10. Everyone was looking like he would lose the title the next fight defending it because of all the upcoming killers having their turn. But so far it seems like Yoel Romero is the only one looking to establish considerable dominance over this crazy zoo den.

Yoel already took out a big deal of MW killers: Jacare, Weidman, Machida, Brunson. He now only need to take out Rockhold and Whittaker, and seeing Rockhold's chin he might easily be rid of one person holding back his GOAT status.
whut?
IMHO he lost to Jacare.
Luke got caught, that doesn't mean he can get KO'd by everyone. He knows well how to keep distance. I don't know if it is a given he would lose to Yoel (could, but I don't think Yoel would be heavy favorite).

There was a reddit thread about how Romero doesn't know how old he is, so his age is off by around 2 years. If its true, he would definitely be younger than his official age. It wouldn't be the first time someone in mma doesn't use their real age, or in this case, can't.
SO you're saying we need to get him radiocarbon dated.

Sounds legit.

Mousasi is the future of post USADA UFC. Bisping and Mousasi by probably not leaning on horsemeat their entire careers.

Silly--- brunson, kennedy and chris were all beating him.Hes almost 40 in a division where it has the best 5 (incuding him and not including champ)...
Jacare, Mousasi and Rockhold could all beat him.....If he decided to lay on moose then that would be tough.

Why would I be salty, I'm not a fan of any of the fighters involved?

Its just my opinion on those fights.
Because you disagree with his own opinion, clearly you are salty.

Sherdog logic 101.

SO you're saying we need to get him radiocarbon dated.

Sounds legit.
He does look younger than 39, makes sense...
It was basically some guy saying that his friend got to train at Romero's gym, and got told that Romero doesn't know his real age. I believe it though. Romero is apparently 39, but is the most explosive person I have ever seen in mma, along with Randleman.

Because you disagree with his own opinion, clearly you are salty.

Sherdog logic 101.
Actually disagreeing with the official decision/opinion makes you salty. If I had commented first saying "Romero definitely beat Jacare and it was right not to DQ him against Kennedy", the salty concept isn't applicable.

Salt facts 101

Silly--- brunson, kennedy and chris were all beating him.Hes almost 40 in a division where it has the best 5 (incuding him and not including champ)...
Jacare, Mousasi and Rockhold could all beat him.....If he decided to lay on moose then that would be tough.
Brunson having lack luster round two then having his jaw broken and TKOed is considered him winning? I would give him tho two rounds nevertheless, though, but it wasn't nowhere near as impressive as what Yoel did. Kennedy was losing for two rounds straight until he grabbed the glove for few seconds, that's the only significant thing he did through the fight, and Yoel came back doing even more damage. Jacare got 10-8ed by Yoel in the first round, didn't land the more significant shots in round two, and did nothing in round 3 on top of Yoel(though being a feared BJJ artist), so Jacare only edged out a one round against what Yoel did to him. Chris beat him in round one, but nothing significant happened that round, now in round two you can't say Chris won that, or else you must be out of your mind. Then Yoel smashed Chris in round three by a well placed knee.

If was younger would be scarier but on a real note he squeaked by souza and if that was a five round he was going to lose

Back