Is Woodley really the champ? Or Wonderboy?

Ron-Swanson_510x317.jpg

Woodley is the champ, Wonderboy is the #1 and best fighter in the division.

Being the champ doesn't make you the best fighter in the division in a sport where title shots are granted based on popularity and not merit.

Wonderboys destruction of Hendricks and Rory is far more impressive than anything Woodley has done.

Same thing with MW. Bisping isn't the best fighter at MW.
You have no grounds to say that. Until Wonderboy and Woodley fight then that is all just speculation to call him "the best fighter in the division."

Nice win over a guy who should have lost 2 of his last 3.

People talk about post USADA Hendricks to discredit Wonderboys win over him, but there is way more evidence Robbie was on the sauce prior to USADA and likely coming off of it than there is Hendricks.

Should have. But none of his foes could conquer 5th round Robbie.

You have no grounds to say that. Until Wonderboy and Woodley fight then that is all just speculation to call him "the best fighter in the division."
Unless, by "best fighter in the division", he's referring to the guy who's best at fighting out of everyone in the division, and he thinks Wonderboy is that.

Woodley is a champ. A ducking paper champ

But a champ nonetheless

What should determine who the best fighter in the division is? The guy who has beat the better fighters more impressively, or the guy who holds a shiney belt thats only reason for existence is to promote and sell fights?

Wonderboy has beat better fighters more impressively so he should be considered the better fighter.

What should determine who the best fighter in the division is? The guy who has beat the better fighters more impressively, or the guy who holds a shiney belt thats only reason for existence is to promote and sell fights?

Wonderboy has beat better fighters more impressively so he should be considered the better fighter.
Yeah but its completely innacurate to say that. They haven't fought and Woodley has beaten great fighters to, so its just mindless speculation.

Belt is nothing but a prop to me and you have it based on one guy you beat. The idea of it sometimes is very misleading.

The champ is supposed to be the best guy. No one hardly thinks that way about Wood. And when even he himself is constantly doubting himself against multiple guys in the division then how do we really look at him as a true champion over a guy like Wonderboy or Condit?

Woodley is not scared of Wonderboy, he's just being a businessman and wants to get paid.

Woodleys 34 years old and has a very limited window to make some decent bank, as Champion his earning potential skyrockets assuming as Champion he gets a taste of the PPV share which I have a strong feeling he would given how long he sat on the sidelines for this title shot.

"It’s an eight-fight deal," Woodley told MMA Fighting on Tuesday. "I had a four-fight deal, but I thought they had to make it worth my while. I’m taking the risk here."

Previously two UFC PPV contracts have been publically released from court documents.

Randy Couture in 2006 fought Tim Sylvia for the HW title making 250k in base pay and a further 936k in PPV revenue for a total of more than $1million on a 500k selling PPV card 10 years ago.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct/31/sports/sp-ufc31

Rampage Jackson made $15million in five years 1.4million per fight.

http://www.cagedinsider.com/ufc/dana-white-15/

• Woodley in his last fight before Robbie made 74k base with 65k win bonus for 139k total.
  • In his title shot he made 270k base + 70k win bonus for 240k
  • If he fights Diaz or GSP and gets a slice of PPV he could be looking at north of $1million
  • If he fights Wonderboy he's gonna sell a heck of a lot less PPV's and probably get KO'd and take a paycut
http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/tyron-woodley-t-wood

• As a comparison Hendricks made 150k base in his title defence but now he's lost the belt and getting beat up by Gastelum no one cares about him and he's taken a paycut to 80k base.
http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/johny-hendricks

My point is this is Woodleys only chance to be fighting for million dollar+ purses so he should make the most of it while he can because if he loses to Wonderboy everyone's gonna write him off as never being any good and he'll be fighting for 100k again.

"At the end of the day, I'm the one who's in control of my bank account," Woodley said. "I'm the one who's in control of my four kids, my wife, the house that I want to pay off this year. These things are realistic goals that are within reach with the right fight. So, I don't have to explain to them. I don't go to their house and say hey, I don't think you should get this promotion because Johnny, your coworker, deserves it more than you. I'm going to go tell your boss that I'm going to get this other guy the promotion. I don't do that."

126_Robbie_Lawler_vs_Tyron_Woodley.0.0.jpg

Woodley is the champ, Wonderboy is the #1 and best fighter in the division.

Being the champ doesn't make you the best fighter in the division in a sport where title shots are granted based on popularity and not merit.

Wonderboys destruction of Hendricks and Rory is far more impressive than anything Woodley has done.

Same thing with MW. Bisping isn't the best fighter at MW.
Agreed, with the way the UFC has been doing business lately the belts are losing legitimacy. I personally consider Wonderboy the unofficial champ of sorts, he's clearly established himself as the best fighter in the division until proven otherwise.

i think woodley can beat wonderboy. no one's holding the belt for long in that division. i would be down to see marquardt/woodley 2 on the same card as bisping/henderson 2

Did you miss the giant thread where his levels were 3x the currently allowed USADA levels and his t/e ratio was sketchy?

That's it? You said 'way more' and supplied nothing.

Hendricks looks like a different human being.

I disagree with your conclusion.

Woodley is the champ, and he's ducking wonderboy. He is obviously terrified to fight him.

Woodley is the champ but he clearly doesn't want the Thompson fight.

In terms of actual appearance I'd say Robbie looks quite different as well.

Numbers pretty much guaranteeing Robbie was on something is nothing? And your looks test is more sufficient?

Btw Hendricks looked in the best shape of his life against Wonderboy. Less muscle sure but way more lean.

Robbie also looked way different and less muscular than usual against Woodley.

Back