Is WMMA Finally an Elite Women's Sport?

giphy.gif

In 2020 it will be 5 years since the first legit WMMA superstar Ronda Rousey got brutally KTFO by Holly Holm. In the 5 years since has WMMA evolved to the point where it has enough depth of competition to be called an elite sport along with women's tennis, swimming, gymnastics or soccer? How do today's wmma greats like Amanda Nunes, Valentina, Cyborg and Weili Zhang stack up against the greats in other sports like Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky, Serena Williams and Megan Rapinoe?

The bantamweight division is not any deeper than it was when Ronda was champ. You can argue it is weaker. No new contenders except Ladd who got KO'd recently. Holm is old, Tate retired, Cat is old as well and left the UFC. Pennington and McMann are still in the top 10 like they were when Ronda was champ.

There's a misconception that the division was weaker when Ronda was champ. That isn't true at all. It was just top heavy with grapplers and still is to a degree. The only real difference is Nunes learned how to pace herself better and got a bunch of knockouts.

Last edited:
I also can't imagine a metric where Amanda Nunes, Valentina or Joanna compare favorably to Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky or Serena Williams when talking about elite female athletes.
Sure you can. The ultimate metric. Lock two people in a room, one of them gets to leave.

I'm a big time Serena Williams fan, she'd have been one hell of an MMA fighter. I'm not sure she could make 145, and if she did, I sure don't think she'd beat Nunes. It's not just about athletics, it's about available training. Women have only had access to fight training en masse for what, thirty years? Call of it fifty, if you want to be generous. Men have centuries of combat training, different disciplines, all over the world. Forget what WMMA is. Look how fast it's growing from nothing.

giphy.gif

In 2020 it will be 5 years since the first legit WMMA superstar Ronda Rousey got brutally KTFO by Holly Holm. In the 5 years since has WMMA evolved to the point where it has enough depth of competition to be called an elite sport along with women's tennis, swimming, gymnastics or soccer? How do today's wmma greats like Amanda Nunes, Valentina, Cyborg and Weili Zhang stack up against the greats in other sports like Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky, Serena Williams and Megan Rapinoe?

If WMMA is not yet an elite women's sport how much longer will it take? 5 more years, 10, 20 or it will never be an elite women's sport?
It s fucking trash.

Women's sports are stunted by biology, WNBA players can't even dunk and female tennis players don't have enough power to hit an ace. Women's soccer might be the biggest female sport in the world and women's national teams can't beat highschool boys teams.

WMMA may get better once there's more competitors taking part but don't set the bar too high folks

giphy.gif

If WMMA is not yet an elite women's sport how much longer will it take? 5 more years, 10, 20 or it will never be an elite women's sport?

No. Women divisions are pretty terrible overall.

Women's sports are stunted by biology, WNBA players can't even dunk and female tennis players don't have enough power to hit an ace. Women's soccer might be the biggest female sport in the world and women's national teams can't beat highschool boys teams.

WMMA may get better once there's more competitors taking part but don't set the bar too high folks

I’ve been living abroad and let me tell you, women’s soccer sucks big time outside USA; the rest of the world don’t give a fcuk about it.
The only sport I can think of where women is way more relevant than male is field hockey, worldwide; but it’s a nonexistent sport in USA.

Last edited:
In the 5 years since has WMMA evolved to the point where it has enough depth of competition to be called an elite sport along with women's tennis, swimming, gymnastics or soccer? How do today's wmma greats like Amanda Nunes, Valentina, Cyborg and Weili Zhang stack up against the greats in other sports like Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky, Serena Williams and Megan Rapinoe?

Soccer?

I think the elite of WMMA make more money than the elite of female soccer.

Back