1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is WMMA basically a woke sport?

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by TheMaster, Nov 12, 2020.

1. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality Double Yellow Card

Well, honest opinions.
    Fighting is an inherently manly endeavour and activity.
    The level of wmma is pretty poor, probably lower than highschool wrestling and yet it gets disproportionally more publicity and promotion than it really should going by skill level.

So while I like to see this as much as the next guy

[​IMG]

In dont think it deserves the same platform as world class MMA.
    So does it just fill a social tickbox or is it worthy of the status it has?

Livingenergy and Marko Polo like this.
  2. Marko Polo In Klopp We Trust Platinum Member

Yes it’s garbage. Only Val and Nunez are with watching imo

3. TsuFred Banned Banned

Not for me, I usually sleep through it.

4. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

People want to watch it,it makes money,and gives UFC more to offer on their cards.
    Some great fights have come from it.
    Not ever going anywhere.

Freddy Fisticuffs likes this.
  5. Goatenstein Black Belt

You're just a scumbag.

6. Martialbeef Silver Belt

I would genuinely rather watch paint dry than low level wmma, high level wmma, whenever you can get it, is great

7. Slapchoppin Black Belt

sport is a bit much don't you think?

8. Joohnmatrix Purple Belt

It's like watching monkeys dressed as humans having a tea party.

9. Jizzer Brown Belt

Lol, insecure bitches be insecure, don't be scared that you'd get smashed by any of them.

Chael_Sonnen likes this.
  10. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Brown Belt

I like Nunes and Cyborg and a couple of others but its not worth reserving space on every card for womens fights.

11. Fergelmince Red Belt

besides the one-off anomaly that was the ronda rousey circus, WMMA does not make money as a stand alone sports business.

12. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

It is not a stand alone sports business. But it benefits the UFC to put them on in addition to their other fighters,just as it benefitted them to absorb the lower weight classes in the WEC.

13. SmoothPies Purple Belt

The talent depth simply isn't there yet for me to enjoy watching a random WMMA fight with two women I have never seen before. On the flip side, I can easily watch a random men's MMA undercard fight where I don't know either fighter and enjoy that.

The really good fighters like Nunes and Shevchenko are incredible to watch. I think in time, you'll get a lot more fighters like that but right now that just simply doesn't exist.

I also think WMMA really needs another Ronda Rousey - a sort of love/hate figure that gets everyone extremely invested in her fights.

14. gogogoalex Orange Belt

It's different like women playing a sport. They cannot play at the same level as a man. If you compare both, it will always be a lot of difference...
    Even in sports women they been practicing lot of years:
    100 meters running for example: the worst man defeats the best woman... So if you compare them, will always look ridiculous. Same in all running distances. It's like if you compare africans with non-africans in long distance running... They are limits on the physic...
    Appart from that they are some sports which woman were banned or pretty banned like soccer, like mma. So that adds more deficit.

15. Fergelmince Red Belt

Exactly. It's impossible for it to be a stand alone business because.......it's not profitable. So your claim that "it makes money" is wrong.

16. Freddy Fisticuffs Pugilist

Well, if your saying that wmma gets too much credit because the fighters are not as skilled as they should be, where does that leave heavyweight?

17. Peli Silver Belt

It's not woke. It's a proven money earner. Ronda proved that and wmma is younger than men's mma in general. It's going to take time to develop the scene. They can't just ignore it. They have to develop it.

It's no worse than heavyweight divisions in mma. Stipe is really the only well rounded hw.

Minowafanatic likes this.
  18. ch1584 Been trying to delete my account since 2014

Idk if it gets too much credit. But outside of watching shevchenko and Nunes if they never aired another WMMA bout I probably wouldn’t even notice. And Dana white is not the type of guy to put a bunch of trannies in the cage just to prove he’s woke. If he has women’s MMA going it’s because he believes there is something to it.

19. Naoya#1 Orange Belt

Women sport were always trash (99, 99%). One of the reasons why they get views is because of tits (hello women football, lol).

It's easy to look good VS utter **** competition.

But I feel bad for women cu they have to take SHIT TON of s vitamins ':(

20. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

No insult to say it is at a lower skill-level than high school wrestling. You have high school wrestlers that, in certain instances, have world-class skills. The vast majority of local and regional MMA, both amateur and pro, that I see is at a lower level than high school wrestling.

Although on the other hand, I guess it is sort of hard to really say that one sport is at a higher or lower level than another, because different sports carry different variables. But I definitely know plenty of MMA fighters that never would have been able to get through 4 years of high school wrestling, let alone be successful at it.

I should also add, though, that I'm from a state that was very late to regulation in MMA, so perhaps other states have a higher level of regional MMA. The lack of regulation probably added to the number of minimally trained competitors in my state, where certain promoters would fill cards that sometimes even pitted legit pros against people with next to no training.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020