is Wing Chun useful in MMA?

izlxlc.jpg

When you see how quickly Randy sets to block the round house from the leg that delivers the kick, you realize how rare this kick was to MMA.

Also, Randy 2000 would have shot in when he saw the hands go up and the hips turning.

Master Seagal FTW!

When you see how quickly Randy sets to block the round house from the leg that delivers the kick, you realize how rare this kick was to MMA.

Also, Randy 2000 would have shot in when he saw the hands go up and the hips turning.

Master Seagal FTW!

I understand your point, but I kind of realized how rare the kick was before I saw Randy's reaction to it

Why train with "very kung-fuy looking pure animal guards" then?
Good question, hopefully this is a good answer. Each of the core guards it highly optimized to a specific approach to fighting, so if you need to use a different approach you have a less ability to use it. Take Tiger and Mantis guards for example as they are good examples of opposite approaches. Tiger is built for delivering maximum striking force in each attack or defense almost entirely at the expense of speed. Mantis gives up power to maximize speed. So now you have to guards or structures optimized for different ways of fighting: the Slugger and the Swarmer.

A fighting from a pure Tiger guard, becuase it limits your ablity to fight with speed, forces you to learn how best use your power and forces you to learn to read your opponents attacks becuase you don't have the ability to guess wrong, and still block the actual attack. Mantis has the opposite issue, it can react late even initially miss read the attack and still successfully defend itself. However, it almost entirely lose the ability to get one shot stuns or disruptions so has to learn how to chain and throw fast combinations together to get the same effect.

Once you have developed skills at both extremes transitioning to a less optimize guard ,such as the standard boxing or kickboxing guard, gives you equal access to both skill sets. And if you happen to naturally gravitate to one or the other you understand how to adjust to best fit your needs.

Oh and finally it can be a lot fun to fight from the pure guards cus' looks really awesome. :)

At least we don't call it "dragon whips tail" and other crap. :p

We don't really use those names much either anymore. Historically those funny names served as short hand reminder about the purpose principle set's behind a technique, while not giving a way the "secret sauce" to any one not indoctrinated in to the school's culture.

I still do use some of the more amusing one's just becuase they are funny. How can you give up a name like "Octopus waves at Squid"? And yes there really is a technique called that.

1. When you see how quickly Randy sets to block the round house from the leg that delivers the kick, you realize how rare this kick was to MMA.

2. Also, Randy 2000 would have shot in when he saw the hands go up and the hips turning.

3. Master Seagal FTW!

Karate is a thinking man's game....

1. Randy's Roundhouse Block. Supposition Alert. The only thing that is apparent is that Randy reactions to [some] movement on the part of Lyoto. Randy's pulls back to standard boxing guard; which as I've pointed out for months now was totally useless....

2. Randy Could Shoot In. Again, supposition; albeit interesting.... Lyoto's defensive distance, however, is out of standard roundhouse range. That's the genius of the skipping or jumping aspect of this kick.... Karate is a thinking man's game....

3. KarateStylist...... I brought up these points months ago, and more than once.... :(

Still, you guys are pretty sharp to pick up on it.....

KarateStylist

PS: THIS IS A GREAT VID /
I understand your point, but I kind of realized how rare the kick was before I saw Randy's reaction to it
THX. You've highlighted why the MMA Champion can not defeat the traditional karateka, in theory of course....

Karate is a thinking man's game....

1. Randy's Roundhouse Block. Supposition Alert. The only thing that is apparent is that Randy reactions to [some] movement on the part of Lyoto. Randy's pulls back to standard boxing guard; which as I've pointed out for months now was totally useless....

2. Randy Could Shoot In. Again, supposition; albeit interesting.... Lyoto's defensive distance, however, is out of standard roundhouse range. That's the genius of the skipping or jumping aspect of this kick.... Karate is a thinking man's game....

3. KarateStylist...... I brought up these points months ago, and more than once.... :(

Still, you guys are pretty sharp to pick up on it.....

KarateStylist

PS: THIS IS A GREAT VID / THX. You've highlighted why the MMA Champion can not defeat the traditional karateka, in theory of course....

If the only thing you see is Randy pulling back to standard boxing guard then I understand why you always manage to see exactly what it is that you wish to see.

Moreover, your non-stop referral of Randy Couture as THE ultimate example of boxing's effectiveness is less credible than referring to Harold Howard as the the ultimate example of karate's effectiveness. At least Harold holds titles in karate competition.

1. If the only thing you see is Randy pulling back to standard boxing guard then I understand why you think traditional karate is the only striking game in town.

2. Moreover, your non-stop referral of Randy Couture as THE ultimate example of boxing's effectiveness is less credible than referring to Harold Howard as the the ultimate example of karate's effectiveness. At least Harold holds real titles in karate.

1. Feint. I feinted, you stepped into it.... That's the lesson.... choob....

2. Randy Couture as the Ultimate. What? This forum is all about quoting the BIG NAME.... THX for following my posts so closely. Nonetheless, your forum-copy responses, the illustration stands on its merits.... As does Machida's record....

KarateStylist

P.S. YOur use of 'Moreover' gives you away....

Last edited:
Anyway, it's all a moot point since it wasn't karate technique that defeated Randy Couture, it was Sensei Seagal technique.

And Seagal has turned into a Wing Chun man as seen in this video.

So clearly yes, Wing Chun DOES work in mma as it is the new base style of the maker of champions.

There is no useless martial art. Learn what you can and implement whatever you believe works.

A great example are teep kicks. I've known for a long time teep kicks would be useful in MMA, but no one believed me until Silva and Machida did it.

The Silva and Machida front kick knockouts weren't teeps.

There is no useless martial art. Learn what you can and implement whatever you believe works.

A great example are teep kicks. I've known for a long time teep kicks would be useful in MMA, but no one believed me until Silva and Machida did it.

What SAAMAG said, and teeps have been used for a long time in mma.

Although, not a lot from what I've seen.

Anyway, it's all a moot point since it wasn't karate technique that defeated Randy Couture, it was Sensei Seagal technique.

And Seagal has turned into a Wing Chun man as seen in this video.

YT---ImageChop---YT

So clearly yes, Wing Chun DOES work in mma as it is the new base style of the maker of champions.

No topping you. Again, you've come out ahead.... /S

KarateStylist

not its more like drunken aikido with no touch chi attacks

Actually I have a few years of systema training in and it is more like combat sambo with a lot of aikido principles. It did help me with my overall game a little bit. However, Sambo, BJJ, Muay Thai and boxing have helped much more, hell even fencing helped out my striking game a little. Systema taught me a few principles that I would have only learned if I had taken Aikido and krav maga. A lot depends on how realistic the instructor is too, and mine was about application.

There are rising front kicks aimed for the jaw, and the front push kick. Chaiya has the "chat", which is more of a front snap kick.

Back