Is Wilder vs Fury a bigger fight than Wlad vs Fury?

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In terms global attention?

Fury is obviously a way bigger star now than he was then, but Wilder isn't as well known as Wlad.

Literally not even remotely close

Wladmir hadn’t lost in 11 years and was about to break joe louis record of title defenses. its a much bigger win

By “bigger” obviously the OP is referring to popularity.

The FACT of the matter is, Wilder is fighting for Lineal PRESTIGE. AJ’s popularity is primarily based on beating Wlad whose LOSS came from the Gypsie King.

Since casuals don’t seem to grasp that, real pugilists know that shall Wilder win, he’s basically bringing back the Lineal to American soil.

The focus is an American Champion fighting for the Lineal with an undefeated former and current Lineal Champion.

Never understood why many have an agenda to focus on Wilder’s popularity... Wilder is a big part of Premiere Boxing Champions.

If and when Wilder beats Fury for the Lineal, all the stateside sport sites that cover boxing (since its inception) will give credit because it’s been far too long for an American lineal to return home. If anything GBP must be upset they lost Wilder to Haymon...

Wlad had a nice run. But World committees put a crack down on Meldonium just right after his retirement...and Slavic style countries were put on notice for it, far so much that it got ugly with Olympic committees banning Russians even though they were still advocating its use or at least trying to justify no wrong doing pre substance prohibition of Meldonium. We know for a fact that Vitali was rocking Roids and banned from the Olympic team..

The Wlad Klitchko that fought Corrie Sanders either had a really bad night, couldn’t figure out an Ortiz style power southpaw, or didn’t have something to boost his performance. That version of Wlad looked nothing like years after. Like Victor Conte said, BJS’s performances are among the most inconsistent and suspect scenarios in the game.

But I like AJ though. Seems like a cool dude. Hopefully the AJ vs Wilder bout will happen in 2019.

Last edited:
No not even close. No one really knows who Wilder is when compared to Wlad. Wlad was the king of boxing at the time.

It's not as important, but it's arguably more exciting on paper given that Fury proved his worth and Wilder is such an amazing puncher, and an American.

Eight replies, lol. Sure its a Big deal.

Wladmir hadn’t lost in 11 years and was about to break joe louis record of title defenses. its a much bigger win
is that right? I was wondering how close he was to that record, thank god he lost, we'd never hear the end of it from the eastern europeans.

It's not as important, but it's arguably more exciting on paper given that Fury proved his worth and Wilder is such an amazing puncher, and an American.
definitely more exciting and interesting, i think fury pulls of another win and looks good in the process. if someone is asking worldwide, how would any of us really know, most of us are pretty much in one place on earth and pretty out of touch with the rest of the world, but in america? it's way bigger, probably in the uk too.

Yes.

By far. Let's not forget the dark ages that weren't too long ago when the klitchko bros made the hw shit for a long time.

A HW fught in murica should be the pinnacle. A HW fight in Germany with a klitchko bro who's fought safe his entire career and devalued the hw belts becasue of it and his brother isn't the pinnacle. Not vlad or vitalis fault but the HW division at current is in a way better position.

Its also technically I guess a decider for a future unification bout for the IBF, WBO, WBA, WBC and lineal championship probably in the future..

In terms global attention?

Fury is obviously a way bigger star now than he was then, but Wilder isn't as well known as Wlad.

I think it is. Not many, if anyone was giving Fury much chance against Wlad and he was the definite underdog.

Both Wilder and Fury are both undefeated and I don't think any fighter is the clear favourite. Though Wilder isn't huge in his home country, this could be the fight that gains him a huge following, providing he wins.

I do think this is the bigger fight, however the winner vs AJ is the true super fight. If Fury wins? Then The UK will have it's biggest fight ever.

I think it is. Not many, if anyone was giving Fury much chance against Wlad and he was the definite underdog.

Both Wilder and Fury are both undefeated and I don't think any fighter is the clear favourite. Though Wilder isn't huge in his home country, this could be the fight that gains him a huge following, providing he wins.

I do think this is the bigger fight, however the winner vs AJ is the true super fight. If Fury wins? Then The UK will have it's biggest fight ever.

I suspect you're going to see AJ vs. Wilder first regardless of what happens in this fight. Actually, if Fury wins this fight it likely puts his fight with AJ much further into the future.

If you want a bunch of super fights both Wilder and Fury better look extremely beatable in this up coming fight.

I suspect you're going to see AJ vs. Wilder first regardless of what happens in this fight. Actually, if Fury wins this fight it likely puts his fight with AJ much further into the future.

If you want a bunch of super fights both Wilder and Fury better look extremely beatable in this up coming fight.

you're probably right.

Hearn will ne praying for a Fury win. They want all the bargaining chips and a good reason to avoid Wilder.

Wilder isn't even popular at home, there's the interest of boxing fans but ultimately nobody cares about Wilder the way people outside the US cared about Wlad.

Wilder isn't even popular at home, there's the interest of boxing fans but ultimately nobody cares about Wilder the way people outside the US cared about Wlad.
good point but i think they will care more than they did for the wlad/fury fight.

Tyson fury has prompted the hell out of this fight. Way bigger showtime behind it great trash talkers and must win fight for wilder to fight aj. Ppl know both guys it’s uk fighter coming vs American champ it’s bigger everywhere but Ukraine and Germany. Fury already did rogans podcast and breakfast club. Nobody cared really about klits fury is way bigger now. I think it does 400 too 500 in USA and big numbers in UK. Boxing is also more healthy right now every weekend there’s a good fight look forward too. I think wlad haye was the bigger fight because haye can sell a damn fight. He got huge paydays out of chisora and Bellew twice. Hw division is hot espn covering boxing now .

Back