Is Whittaker's chin cracked??

If he can keep moving against Gastelum, he should do just fine. I think this is a tough fight for Gastelum. But the only time Whittaker has went out, was when he was depleted at WW. He has a very solid chin. Rockhold, Weidman, Machida, Brunson etc, couldn't survive what Romero had to offer. Whittaker survived it twice.

Chin has been historically good at MW. He (due to injuries, etc) takes a lot of time between fights which probably indirectly helps with recovery.

187.7 against Luke
185.2 against Whittaker.

Fact: did not make weight.

He obviously tried since he got down to within .2 lbs of championship weight. That doesn't count as "didn't even bother" in my book

He obviously tried since he got down to within .2 lbs of championship weight. That doesn't count as "didn't even bother" in my book
excuses, excuses.
Twist it and bend it however you like.
This was a title eliminator and his title shot.
His bare minimum obligation was to make weight.
Lose by 0.001 lbs, you didn't do your job.

excuses, excuses.
Twist it and bend it however you like.
This was a title eliminator and his title shot.
His bare minimum obligation was to make weight.
Lose by 0.001 lbs, you didn't do your job.

I'm pretty sure 0.001 would've been rounded down. <45>

All I'm saying is that "didn't even bother" fits cases like Charles Oliveira or Alex Oliveira missing by 10 lbs or Dern missing by 8.

0.2 signifies to me that the guy at least tried but oh well. Just being disingenuous because you don't like the guy is feminine. Sorry that Yoel gave Whittaker brain damage, bu that's the fight game!

I'm pretty sure 0.001 would've been rounded down. <45>

All I'm saying is that "didn't even bother" fits cases like Charles Oliveira or Alex Oliveira missing by 10 lbs or Dern missing by 8.

0.2 signifies to me that the guy at least tried but oh well. Just being disingenuous because you don't like the guy is feminine. Sorry that Yoel gave Whittaker brain damage, bu that's the fight game!
Quite the contrary, bud.

I feel you felt the need to nitpick my obvious generalization because you like the guy.
All I meant is that he didn't make weight as he was supposed to. As it is his contractual obligation.
Dismissing it just shows how out of touch with reality you are, seen that 0.2Lbs meant that fight was not a title fight anymore, and that is indeed a big deal (and personally, he shouldn't have gotten a title shot to begin with, since he didn't make weight for his #1 contender fight as well)..

But I see your point that other fighters missed by more, but if you are honest with yourself, you gotta consider that neither Dern nor Alex Oliveira were fighting title eliminators nor for the belt.
And that makes a HUGE difference IMHO.

But I see your point that other fighters missed by more, but if you are honest with yourself, you gotta consider that neither Dern nor Alex Oliveira were fighting title eliminators nor for the belt.
And that makes a HUGE difference IMHO.

True, but IMO those are much better cases of "didn't even bother" because there is zero argument that any of the 3 of them tried. Yoel lost an additional 0.8 lbs and looked like death whereas the Oliveiras and Dern just said "Welp, missed weight guess I'll take that deduction LOL"

Might be the Stipe situation.

Eats Ngannou's clean shots and keeps on fighting, but the next fight he gets slept by one punch from DC.
(This isn't on the chin, but I couldn't find the gif of him cracking Stipe in the chin during round 3)

Before:

After:

Big part of the reason why this strike was so effective is that he absolutely didn't see it coming..
This is like a " critical " when you don't see it coming to speak videogames-wise, damages are multiplied by 2 or 3...

His chin has held up this far, but he's putting a lot of milage on it. I don't see him having a GSP or Anderson run at this rate.

Actually he was out for a few seconds in the second Yoel fight. His arms were limp. Yoel's ground and pound awoke him. Strange, if Yoel didn't rush to continue beating him, perhaps he would have won by KO.

So, perhaps his chin is cracked now. Perhaps not. We'll find out in the next fight.

I'm a big fan of Whittaker, and I'm scared his chin is getting depleted at a fast rate. This is not something you want when fighting Kelvin Gastelum.

Gas hits hard.
MinorImpoliteHuemul-size_restricted.gif

kjBeU.gif

Whittaker usually has an amazing chin for MMA, except for the Wonderboy loss. In his recent fight with Yoel Romero, he took many heavy shots and got dropped 2-3 times and was on wobbly legs once or twice as well.
snaps_about-ufc-225-on-ufc-archive_by.gif

3d-round-KD.gif

5th-round.gif

I'm scared that Bobby Knuckles' chin is not what it used to be. Both Yoel fights were hard fought decisions, with the 2nd one being a questionable decision because of all the damage he received.

Will his chin be ready for Gas?
If you can get up from shots from Yoel your chin is okay

His chin is good but who knows how it will hold up against Kelvin. Kelvin indeed hits hard as hell.

Romero rocked Bobby’s jaw and that might have done some real damage. Still, we have no reason to doubt the champion now. He’s tough as nails.

True, but IMO those are much better cases of "didn't even bother" because there is zero argument that any of the 3 of them tried. Yoel lost an additional 0.8 lbs and looked like death whereas the Oliveiras and Dern just said "Welp, missed weight guess I'll take that deduction LOL"

It is not always up to the fighters though.
I recall someone (don't recall who) missed weight by 6 Lbs, but then it became known that he was 0.3 Lbs from making weight then he fell ill, and a doctor slapped an IV on him. After that, what was the point of trying to lose weight again?
Same as when a fighter has a cold, they need to hydrate to get better, but then they miss weight...

There are a lot of things that can happen, and just because someone missed by more, doen't mean they tried less than someone else that barely missed.

But when you are fighting for the belt (or for the right to fight for the belt), even 0.1 is "a lot", because it means you don't get the gold.
IMO if you waste a title shot for not making weight, then I am sorry, but you don't belong in this Weight Class.

I'm a big fan of Whittaker, and I'm scared his chin is getting depleted at a fast rate. This is not something you want when fighting Kelvin Gastelum.

Gas hits hard.
MinorImpoliteHuemul-size_restricted.gif

kjBeU.gif

Whittaker usually has an amazing chin for MMA, except for the Wonderboy loss. In his recent fight with Yoel Romero, he took many heavy shots and got dropped 2-3 times and was on wobbly legs once or twice as well.
snaps_about-ufc-225-on-ufc-archive_by.gif

3d-round-KD.gif

5th-round.gif

I'm scared that Bobby Knuckles' chin is not what it used to be. Both Yoel fights were hard fought decisions, with the 2nd one being a questionable decision because of all the damage he received.

Will his chin be ready for Gas?
87, 89, or Super +91 Gas?

<RomeroSalute> Yoel says that kid has one HELL of a chin

he survived Romero im sure he'll be fine against a bloated WW

Thats not the poiny. Ngannou hits way harder. Actually, Ngannou is a better striker by the way.

His footwork is worse, his angles are worse, his technique is generally worse.

It doesn't matter if he throws with more absolute power.

He didn't have the skill to make that power count against Stipe.

Back