is Whittaker past his prime?

People love to throw around prime and past prime status purely off wins and loses on a record, but they completely ignore the circumstances around them.

Whittaker never had a good chin.
Israel is an incredible kickboxer and Whittaker did better in the second outing.
Dricus high guard, physicality and pressure matched against Rob. Dricus is a MW champion.

In my eyes Rob didn't change. His way of fighting is even more refined now with improvements he made after the first Israel fight. That said Ikram is someone who is better matched against Rob stylistically and has a real potential to win.

Dricus got a bit of a lucky takedown in their fight, because he is way heavier.
And landed an off time jab, Whitaker's chin is average.

Bad night, happens.

It's like a lot of fighters with north of 25 fights have lost to a high kick.

Whitaker ain't training full time anymore though. He has 5 kids!

He definitely gotten worse since he lost to bum DDP. I think Bisping would easily decision DDP if not TKO him late in the fight.

Yes, fighters tend to be in their physical prime 15 years in and 32 fights deep. Their reaction time and fast twitch muscle doesn't slow; and their chins are are as good as ever. Definitely. No question. 100%. It's an undeniable axiom of time and space. Irrefutable. The Whittaker that was in two all time wars with Yoel doesn't have shit on the Bobby Knuckles of today.

Yes, fighters tend to be in their physical prime 15 years in and 32 fights deep. Their reaction time and fast twitch muscle doesn't slow; and their chins are are as good as ever. Definitely. No question. 100%. It's an undeniable axiom of time and space. Irrefutable. The Whittaker that was in two all time wars with Yoel doesn't have shit on the Bobby Knuckles of today.

A3CeACcCEAAir_x.jpg

You got a wedgie? Thanks for letting us know, tittays.

giphy.webp

Just cause there are some exceptions doesn't mean that most fighters don't start to decline around 10-12 years into their MMA careers. I can name way more fighters that did than didn't.
Sure you can, but I'm going to wait till Whittaker starts losing to fighters who he shouldn't be losing to. It's a tiresome trend at this point, anytime a fighter loses its "they're out of their prime". It's just an excuse, an excuse that I have never used in all my years on this site. I'm not going to subscribe to that until i see more evidence against other opponents. Hell I'm not even sold on Kamaru Usman being out of his prime like everyone person on this site is.

Sure you can, but I'm going to wait till Whittaker starts losing to fighters who he shouldn't be losing to. It's a tiresome trend at this point, anytime a fighter loses its "they're out of their prime". It's just an excuse, an excuse that I have never used in all my years on this site. I'm not going to subscribe to that until i see more evidence against other opponents. Hell I'm not even sold on Kamaru Usman being out of his prime like everyone person on this site is.
But you can win and be out of your prime. You dont have to wait till someone loses to see if they have lost a step. Fedor clearly had lost a step when watching the Rodgers fight and he won that.

He seems to get hurt easier every fight. Can't remember the last time he didn't do a stanky leg in a fight.
dont think his chin has ever improved, I still give him a 60/40 shot at winning this simply because I cant name a single person ikram has beat.

dont think his chin has ever improved, I still give him a 60/40 shot at winning this simply because I cant name a single person ikram has beat.
I don't think his chin was ever all that good. I just don't think he's recovering as well these days. He was always prone to getting rocked but in his younger days he recovered from it seemingly instantly. These days when he gets hurt it takes him awhile making him a lot more prone to getting finished and making it harder to get close decisions due to the optics of staggering around like a baby deer for awhile mid-fight

But you can win and be out of your prime. You dont have to wait till someone loses to see if they have lost a step. Fedor clearly had lost a step when watching the Rodgers fight and he won that.
You're only using the Brett Rogers's fight because that was the last fight he won then went on to lose. He looked good against Werdum and Henderson he just got caught, but sure let's say he was out of his prime, instead of looking at the fact he was fighting great competition, great opponents of his generation who were fighting the best fighters, while Fedor stayed stagnant and never improved. In fact he went back to "Japan" and went on a winning streak. In the division where most fighters tend to be competitive against ranked opponents at later age, Fedor was already out of his prime while his peers were still doing great.

Back