Is western Kickboxing/FCK still alive?

Kickboxing was started in the 60's with Muay Thai vs Kyokushin matches. You are talking of a different branch that came later with more limiting rules.

There was Japanese kickboxing in the 60ies and Western kickboxing in the USA and Europe. Both were not influenced by each other in any way.
Western kickboxing (Fullcontact) was 80% Taekwondo, 10% Karate and 10% Boxing. Japanese Kickboxing was a mix of Kyokushinkai and Muay Thai as you say.
No connection between the 2 sports at all back in the days except for the similarity in semantics based on a translation from Japanese into English.

There was Japanese kickboxing in the 60ies and Western kickboxing in the USA and Europe. Both were not influenced by each other in any way.
Western kickboxing (Fullcontact) was 80% Taekwondo, 10% Karate and 10% Boxing. Japanese Kickboxing was a mix of Kyokushinkai and Muay Thai as you say.
No connection between the 2 sports at all back in the days except for the similarity in semantics based on a translation from Japanese into English.
Yup, I understand there wasn't a connection. Kickboxing in Japan was essentially re-branded Muay Thai. You can argue K-1 Kickboxing as a different branch from those two (Japan Kick/ West Kick) but took influence from them, but more influence from Japanese Kickboxing which also influenced Dutch Kickboxing.

I wish it was still a thing, not sure why it died out but its definitely dead. Basically just karate kicks with western boxing. I really wish this sport would come back same with that one league owned by Chuck Norris.

What is "Western kickboxing" and FCK?

American Kickboxing or Full Contact Kickboxing. Aka Long Pants. No Kicks below the waist and 8 kicks per round minimum. Chuck Norris' short lived World Combat League was a Full Contact Kickboxing league.

What is "Western kickboxing" and FCK?

Kicking above the waist only.

it was my first style, when I trained at Tri Star before the ufc existed. I will always respect it, o loved it, and it did give me better boxing than going straight to MT would.

But having leg kicks is just better, all my old kickboxing instructors (who were champs in that style) also agree. I can’t see why anyone would train that style these days.

American Kickboxing or Full Contact Kickboxing. Aka Long Pants. No Kicks below the waist and 8 kicks per round minimum. Chuck Norris' short lived World Combat League was a Full Contact Kickboxing league.

Lol just remembered the 8 kicks. You would lose a point for every kick u missed and have to make up the next round or DQ. It was also scored on a 10 point must so missing kicks was just stupid, it was done to keep pure boxers out. Boxing was so useful in above the waste kickboxing, you would have amateur boxers lift their legs 8 times and dominate the rest of the rounds.

In euro KB.
One from rule sets just demanded 6 punches and 6 kicks per round, no risk to get DQ, just scoring.
Plus under different rules: fc, low kick or K-1 type rules.
Some ammy kb ers later becomed high level boxers, like Povetkin, Huck, Briedis. former ammy mt in pro boxing : Drozd etc.
I think average ammy boxer in europe is capable to kick middle section or kick with knee if taught to do it properly. In general means stretching is advocated in ammy boxers training too, it is not rarity.
am KB in euro usually does have higher stoppages % than am boxing.

Lol just remembered the 8 kicks. You would lose a point for every kick u missed and have to make up the next round or DQ. It was also scored on a 10 point must so missing kicks was just stupid, it was done to keep pure boxers out. Boxing was so useful in above the waste kickboxing, you would have amateur boxers lift their legs 8 times and dominate the rest of the rounds.

It was crazy. A Kickboxing gym I used to go to here did FCK before switching to K-1/International rules. They said the guys with Boxing backgrounds would throw their kicks out at the start of every round and get it over with so they can go back to Boxing.

It was crazy. A Kickboxing gym I used to go to here did FCK before switching to K-1/International rules. They said the guys with Boxing backgrounds would throw their kicks out at the start of every round and get it over with so they can go back to Boxing.

That def happened lol, I saw it. And there was so many more fights in Amy boxing, these “beginners‘ would show up with like 15 boxing matches and be insane. But tbf if you got to high level even at amateur, not pro, having no kicks was a bad idea. I remember this hard as nails guy saying “if you cant make 8 kicks, even have to think about it, you are doing something wrong”.

Back