Is Weidman even popular? It seems the UFC doesn't trust to hold a PPV alone.

That is gloating about putting his fingers in his opponent's eyes. Are you retarded?:eek:

Because he is mocking.

You do know what sarcasm is right?

If he was gloating about poking people in the eye he would not be mocking the people accusing him. He would be simply talking about it with pride.

Last edited:
So racist America would never love and cherish Michael Jordan or Lebron because they are black? Muhammad Ali might be a household name if he was white? Tiger Woods never was loved because he was black?

GTFO with your racist bullshit. America loves great sportsmen regardless of color.

Jones acted like a child and people didn't like him for it. His skin tone didn't factor into his PPV rate.
America is complicated.

Team sports have different dynamics than combat sports. Teams are loved mostly and breakout stars are the 1% but they're nothing without the brand.

Jordan had many haters and lebron is definitely hated. In fact Jordan is a lot like Jones to what fans say about his personality.

Tiger woods had his Asian heritage played up to help the country club culture cope.

Any fight fan that says Ali was loved in era is beyond help.

[YT]watch?v=eCs6RV3hkhg[/YT]

There is just a lack of empathy emanating from the man. Whereas Conor comes across as very personable when he's not promoting a fight with his opponent. He's clearly much more of a people person.

Are you a WWE fan? That would explain a lot.

Weidman/Belfort + DC/Rumble = 375k buys.
Rousey/Zingano + Holm/Pennington = 590k buys
Rousey/Correia + Shogun/Little Nog > 900k buys

That should tell you how pathetic Weidman is as a PPV draw. They're putting him as the co-main to 2 145lbs children and he's swallowing his pride and jumping for joy because of the PPV money he'd be getting.

You can't compare him to the UFC's biggest draw. Rousey is the only MMA fighter casuals talk about nowadays.

Most fighters aren't that funny. I don't expect them to be.

Yes, some fighters have a good sense of humour... Hence them being more popular than others.

Some fighters are charmless... Hence them being unpopular, like Jon Jones and Mayweather.

Trying to make it all about race is just silly.

are you implying wand has a chance to fight Weidman next year?

Aspergers-Awareness.jpg

He's certainly not in the forefront of popularity as he's not eccentric or terribly lippy. He comes across as your average everyday guy and that doesn't generate nearly as much buzz.

Yes, some fighters have a good sense of humour... Hence them being more popular than others.

Some fighters are charmless... Hence them being unpopular, like Jon Jones and Mayweather.

Trying to make it all about race is just silly.

It isn't all racial but part of it is. Agree to disagree?

[YT]watch?v=eCs6RV3hkhg[/YT]

There is just a lack of empathy emanating from the man. Whereas Conor comes across as very personable when he's not promoting a fight with his opponent. He's clearly much more of a people person.

Liddell was also known for eye poking but he was never crucified like that. One fight that will always piss me off because I lost money in that fight was when Liddell fought Couture in the rematch. The eye poke clearly lead to Couture losing that fight.

As for his brawl against Cormier. Shit happens. This is a sport where man punch each other in the face for a living.

As for the hacking in his account. I can see it being a possibility. Why not?

As for everything else. Yeah I will not argue that he is a douchebag. The thing here is that he is placed under a microscope which I feel white fighters do not have to deal with.

Are you a WWE fan? That would explain a lot.

It was the WWF when I last watched it.

Some of you seem to be obsessed with the issue of race. Jon Jones is disliked because there is nothing to like. He's probably the best fighter in the world, and he can be respected for that. But trying to make out he and Conor are the same people and the only reason Conor is liked and Jones is not is because Jones is black, rather than because Conor is funny and charming is just absurd.

Liddell was also known for eye poking but he was never crucified like that. One fight that will always piss me off because I lost money in that fight was when Liddell fought Couture in the rematch. The eye poke clearly lead to Couture losing that fight.

As for his brawl against Cormier. Shit happens. This is a sport where man punch each other in the face for a living.

As for the hacking in his account. I can see it being a possibility. Why not?

As for everything else. Yeah I will not argue that he is a douchebag. The thing here is that he is placed under a microscope which I feel white fighters do not have to deal with.

I agree with all except the account hacking, that's always a celebrity excuse. Jones is a Christian and most Christians are not nice to gays.

Some of you seem to be obsessed with the issue of race. Jon Jones is disliked because there is nothing to like. He's probably the best fighter in the world, and he can be respected for that. But trying to make out he and Conor are the same people and the only reason Conor is liked and Jones is not is because Jones is black, rather than because Conor is funny and charming is just absurd.

So tell me a black fighter you like that is funny and charming.

I agree with all except the account hacking, that's always a celebrity excuse. Jones is a Christian and most Christians are not nice to gays.

I don't think a guy like Jones has the time to go look at a gay person's page and post stuff on there that will come back to haunt him.

He needs to boink somebody's wife, cuss out some school kids, get a felony or some equivalent. Then he'll get the media attention.

It isn't all racial but part of it is. Agree to disagree?

The problem is, you've found the worst person to make that case with. There are plenty of reasons other than race for why Jones would be disliked. Same with Mayweather.

Most people I think found Rumble to be very likeable and actually took his side over Gustaffson when Gustaffson started saying he would beat Johnson more often than not. There was no need for that after Johnson has been so humble in victory and it made Gustaffson look petty,

I don't think Conor, is charming or funny at all, and I flat out suspect he does in fact get passes on being a jackass, just like Sonnen did. I think plenty of people like you, love to accuse people of being obsessed with race, without merit, while being guilty of just what those people are talking about. Why is it so hard for some of you to just accept the fact that a significant portion of the non-black MMA fanbase is straight up RACIST?

Weidman needs two things to become a star:

1) consistent title defences. He is on the cusp of becoming the same kind of problem for his diviosn that Aldo is for FW and Cain was for HW. If he can fight twice a year or more he can build up some steam.

2) Weidman needs to fight heels. Dude is a classic Face. He might as well be captain america.If the UFC can match him with heels I guarantee that dynamic will create interest.

There is an art to building up different types of fighters. Weidman can become popular as a champ if he fights regularly and fights opponents who contrast with his image.

All of his previous matches, he was the bad guy (Silva fights), or there was no clear face/heel narrative. It can happen for sure.

He needs to boink somebody's wife, cuss out some school kids, get a felony or some equivalent. Then he'll get the media attention.

Bro no joke but I read this post in mind with Daniel Day-Lewis's voice.

Back