Is Weidman even popular? It seems the UFC doesn't trust to hold a PPV alone.

Griffin, Franklin, Jon Jones, Bader, Cowboy, Mendes, Ellenberger, Mighty Mouse

That whole card was stacked and the PPV were all huge names of the day with one of the most exciting rising stars in Jones.

Jones wasn't a big name yet...Jones actually headlined a UFC Live event that had to be switched to a smaller sub 10k seat venue because nobody bought tickets to that event

Bader is a big name?

Ellenberger?

Chad Mendes?

Mighty Mouse?

Griffin and Franklin are the only two you mentioned who I'd entertain as known fighters to the casual public at that time

Is anyone doing that?

"I definitely considered him to be the star for Silva 2, since he destroyed Silva in the first one."

like 5 posts into the thread

also, weidman wasn't even the headliner of that PPV over Cormier

Going by the numbers, The Chris does well. I notice you didn't include any in your first post, ts; how convenient. Hate on, hater.

Weidman vs Rockhold is to "white" for the mainstream, like Nascar or hockey is.

Sorry I had to say it.

MMA is still very much a white sport.

Look at how fans treat or treated jones, rampage, bendo, Evans and pre-injury Cain.

White popular fighters get away with much more than others like mcgregor or sonnen.

Silva + Weidman 2 sold better because SILVA lost...people wanted to Silva avenge his loss

Yup, controversy and marketability of his first loss. He wasn't selling with his dominance, he was selling with getting dominated and people wanting to see if was going to happen again or not. He didn't sell it, him losing the first sold it. Him and Weidman sold it.

Weidman + Vitor didn't even crack 400k....and Weidman wasn't even the headliner in that PPV....cormier's boring ass was

....and that was like 3 or 4 months ago lol

There was a lot of speculation before the card that it would suffer from Maypac. It did.

people don't care about weidman...calling him the "star" over anderson silva makes 0 sense

Casuals don't know who Weidman is. He doesn't break the news, there's no arrest warrant out for him or the best shit talker in history of combat sports to sell his fights. Anderson was a dominant MW champ for a long time and he always needed special circumstances (Chael, loss to Weidman, stacked card) to get great PPV numbers.

There's nothing about him that makes him a star, the guy isn't a draw.

Weidman is only famous because Anderson silva. He's the Tito Jackson of MMA

Going by the numbers, The Chris does well. I notice you didn't include any in your first post, ts; how convenient. Hate on, hater.

I didn't have to because weidman has yet to carry a PPV on his own. There are always other stars on his cards and one of them (Rousey) is proven to be much bigger than him.

2 of 3 (and almost 3) of Weidman's title defenses had Ronda on the card.

As in Tito has his own music and all but he's only known for being Michael's brother

"I definitely considered him to be the star for Silva 2, since he destroyed Silva in the first one."

like 5 posts into the thread

That means I personally did.

The real star in public eye was the storyline and circumstance (fall of the GOAT, possible retribution or total destruction). Like I said, people fucking love drama. It sold better than their first fight because the first fight went the way it did.

Casuals don't know who Weidman is. He doesn't break the news, there's no arrest warrant out for him or the best shit talker in history of combat sports to sell his fights. Anderson was a dominant MW champ for a long time and he always needed special circumstances (Chael, loss to Weidman, stacked card) to get great PPV numbers.

so tell me, what are weidman's huge numbers without rousey or silva if he is such a "star" over silva?

your first sentence summed up why weidman is not a star...

are you implying wand has a chance to fight Weidman next year?

No, I was making fun of the "he is just holding the belt for Silva" comment.

Wanderlei has no chance to fight anyone worth while, and Anderson would not have anything to do with The Chris anymore. Man basically ruined the end of his great career and Anderson knows he has nothing for Weidman. So does the audience, it would not sell that much.

Is anyone doing that? Fact is Silva only pulled big PPV numbers when there was an interesting opponent or a legitimate threat. That's the same with most fighters unless people just want to see Ronda destroy someone, or a guy like McGregor.

We all know 187 took a hit from being the same month as Mayweather/Pacquaio and most thought Weidman would win the Vitor fight comfortably anyway.

I don't think Weidman is a "star" that gets people interested like Conor or Ronda, but I suspect people like him a lot more than most. He comes across very well when interviewed imo.

Silva/Leites did 650,000 which is more than Silva/Sonnen I. This myth that Chael made Silva popular is stupid.

Draw-wise, maybe not. Social media-wise, he has hundreds of thousands of followers. Relative to MMA, that makes him one of the more popular fighters.

IDGAF about "popularity, is this fuckin' HS?
The Chris is a top 3 P4P fighter IMO, that is all that matters to me as an MMA fan.

I was/am a huge Andy fan and was super bummed, but not surprised, when Weidman KO'd him. But to deny his talent via a "popularity" type contest is unbelievable.

tumblr_mcu6y4eJhT1r0jlbgo2_400.gif

MMA is still very much a white sport.

Look at how fans treat or treated jones, rampage, bendo, Evans and pre-injury Cain.

White popular fighters get away with much more than others like mcgregor or sonnen.

Even Rogan of all people said that he feels Jones is not as popular because he is black.

I'm sure he draws fine compared to the majority of the rest of the roster, champions included. It's just that Conor/Ronda are in their own world right now, and everyone else is lumped together in the meh category beneath them.

Back