Is Weidman even popular? It seems the UFC doesn't trust to hold a PPV alone.

Kel2590

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I doubt the popularity of Chris weidman.

He has yet to be in a PPV headlining as the star.

Silva was the star in their two fights and Ronda was in the second.

Machida and ronda were on the card for his next fight. And his cancelled fight with belfort was also with Ronda.

Weidman's fight with belfort was originally overshadowed by jones and rumble then DC for the vacant lhw belt.

Now weidman is overshadowed by Aldo and mcgregor, a lower weight class.

How is the Chris a star like sherdog wants him to be so badly.

There is no denying the man has enormous talent, but honestly in my view he just seems like a generic fighter, normal look, regular style of fighting. Those are really dumb reasons when considering his raw talent but it is a big contributer to casual fans which make up exceptional ppv buys

There is no denying the man has enormous talent, but honestly in my view he just seems like a generic fighter, normal look, regular style of fighting. Those are really dumb reasons when considering his raw talent but it is a big contributer to casual fans which make up exceptional ppv buys

basically this. Wheres The Chris's x factor?

I don't know if sherdog "wants him to be a star". He should be a star because he is the best fighter in the active roster, but that doesn't make one a star.

I'm sure he's one of the better sells these days, but as you can see UFC wants to break back to back records with the Conor and Ronda cards so they put big draws in co-main as well.

I definitely considered him to be the star for Silva 2, since he destroyed Silva in the first one. And Silva was never a huge draw, Chael made the sales of their fights and outside of those Silva has done average PPV numbers.

He's too blah and generic. A card where he is the main attraction would probably do 300-400k which is 2nd or 3rd tier draw.

UFC has not hyped him like they have done with Conor and Ronda. Not sure why, there's a lot to sell. Dominance always sells, patriotism sells, looks sell (that's why him and Luke should have fought in Rondas card, casual female viewers through the roof).

Maybe they will now focus on marketing him and hyping him up. Easy canvas to work on.

I don't know if sherdog "wants him to be a star". He should be a star because he is the best fighter in the active roster, but that doesn't make one a star.

I'm sure he's one of the better sells these days, but as you can see UFC wants to break back to back records with the Conor and Ronda cards so they put big draws in co-main as well.

I definitely considered him to be the star for Silva 2, since he destroyed Silva in the first one. And Silva was never a huge draw, Chael made the sales of their fights and outside of those Silva has done average PPV numbers.

Silva was amongst the ranks of Liddell and gsp in popularity back then. He probably wasn't as popular as gsp or prime Liddell but he was pulling more numbers than others.

He was put on the card to save it for when Aldo pulls out, so the people still have a title fight. But he isn't a big draw indeed.

Silva was amongst the ranks of Liddell and gsp in popularity back then. He probably wasn't as popular as gsp or prime Liddell but he was pulling more numbers than others.

Oh fuck no.

Numbers are public, Silva was not a big draw by himself.

UFC has not hyped him like they have done with Conor and Ronda. Not sure why, there's a lot to sell. Dominance always sells, patriotism sells, looks sell (that's why him and Luke should have fought in Rondas card, casual female viewers through the roof).

Maybe they will now focus on marketing him and hyping him up. Easy canvas to work on.

He's a tough guy to market, he's kind of like a more Caucasian version of Cain, and Cains ethnicity is a big factor on his popularity south of the border. Chris needs to start taking shit talking lessons of Chael and Conor. Hell you could even argue the majority of Jones popularity came from a combination of his dominance and youth.

He's no Rousey esp. when he's not fighting Silva.

No he isn't.

Obviously people will come back and say he did 1m+ with Silva but that was because of Silva, good to have him and Rockhold on this card, both need some attention.

Weidman/Belfort + DC/Rumble = 375k buys.
Rousey/Zingano + Holm/Pennington = 590k buys
Rousey/Correia + Shogun/Little Nog > 900k buys

That should tell you how pathetic Weidman is as a PPV draw. They're putting him as the co-main to 2 145lbs children and he's swallowing his pride and jumping for joy because of the PPV money he'd be getting.

Its more like they don't trust him showing up to fight more then popularity, if MM can headline a PPV by himself so can the Chris. He pulled out of UFC 173, 181 and 184 why trust him until he can go a few scheduled fights without pulling out

Do you own stock in Zuffa? Who cares.

Hell yeah!

Wanderlei will take it in 2016!

Thanks for making me spit beer all over my keyboard :icon_lol:

85f2551ba5f126c61da41e631eec847dabb67280_full.jpg

Anderson Silva has been involved in some of the biggest selling PPV's in UFC history

Silva vs Weidman II -1.1 Million

Silva vs Sonnen - 1 Million

Silva vs Vitor - 725,000

chris was a on a card with rousey that didn't even break 600k in 2014.....Honda carrying him and still didn't outsell Silva+Vitor

Back