Is Vince Carter a first ballot HOFer?

Is Vince Carter a first ballot HOFer?

• Total voters

PRESIDENT TRUMP

MCGA
@Black
Reaction score
Vince Carter will retire after this season with close to 26k points. Looks to end 17th all time. Will have played in four decades, and is the undisputed greatest dunker of all time. In his prime he was the most popular player in the NBA, leading the league in All Star votes for four straight seasons, and introduced a whole country to basketball.

But he wasn't a winner. Never making passed the second round. So does Vince make it in his first year eligible? Or will he wait?

Yeah, I'd say his peak years filled with straight up legendary highlights, and overall longevity, plus essentially saving the Canadian NBA experiment is enough to consider him for first ballot honors.

Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get in right away though.

Easily yes. It’s the nba hof.

Will they give him a legacy spot in the All star game? I hope so, although i hope it's not an annual occurence. It's not every year someones deserving, but with the NBA you never know. Last year D Wades farewell tour was the most cringeworthy spectacle I've seen in sports.

I think he's earned being in the hall of fame. IMO he's without a doubt the greatest basketball entertainer that ever lived. That to me should make him shoo in for the hall of fame.

100%.

He was a nightmare in his prime. He could have retired 10 years ago and been a hof'er

Probably. The basketball HOF standards are significantly lower than MLB and NFL.

He hasn't been on an all-NBA team since before 9/11 though. So I don't know that it's assured first ballot. He's definitely getting in though.

Vince Carter will retire after this season with close to 26k points. Looks to end 17th all time. Will have played in four decades, and is the undisputed greatest dunker of all time. In his prime he was the most popular player in the NBA, leading the league in All Star votes for four straight seasons, and introduced a whole country to basketball.

But he wasn't a winner. Never making passed the second round. So does Vince make it in his first year eligible? Or will he wait?

He shouldn't be first ballot. He should be in at some later date. His stat compiling isn't impressive because of how long he played. He should be in because he's the greatest dunker and cause the NBA is much more lax on the HOF than the NFL but he's not an upper echelon HOF'er.

The all star thing is really tied to the dunking too, exciting play equals popularity. Vince really is hurt by that buzzer beater not going in. If it had he could have AI's/Kawhi's place in the NBA pantheon but it didn't go in.

He shouldn't be first ballot. He should be in at some later date. His stat compiling isn't impressive because of how long he played.
Strange argument. Him playing in four decades and well into his forties should be a strong argument for his HOF candidacy

He shouldn't be first ballot. He should be in at some later date. His stat compiling isn't impressive because of how long he played. He should be in because he's the greatest dunker and cause the NBA is much more lax on the HOF than the NFL but he's not an upper echelon HOF'er.

The all star thing is really tied to the dunking too, exciting play equals popularity. Vince really is hurt by that buzzer beater not going in. If it had he could have AI's/Kawhi's place in the NBA pantheon but it didn't go in.
Keep in mind the Naismith is the Basketball Hall of Fame:
  • 4x MVP vote-share earner
  • 8x All-Star
  • 2x All-NBA
  • Rookie of the Year
  • Career NBA #4 Most Games Played
  • Career NBA #23 All-Time Scorer
  • Career NBA #6 All-Time 3PM
  • Career NBA #77 All-Time Assists
  • Career NBA #47 All-Time Steals
  • 88 NBA Postseason Games Played
  • Olympic Gold Medalist
  • NCAA All-American
  • 2x Final Four appearances
  • 2x ACC Champion (in the 90's)
  • Florida High School State Champion, Florida Player of the Year, & McDonald's All-American
  • Greatest Dunker of All Time

If somebody gets left out so he is first ballot, somebody gets left out.

Strange argument. Him playing in four decades and well into his forties should be a strong argument for his HOF candidacy

His HOF candidacy. I said he should be in the HOF. Just not first ballot. Playing forever makes compiling stats easier to do and he's played almost 3 people's careers.

When fucking Dikembe Mutombo, Arvydas Sabonis, Yao Ming are first ballot HOFers, then Carter should be a lock.

Still don't get why Chris Webber isn't in, when he's more accomplished than all of the guys I mentioned.

He will. While he never had championship success in the NBA, he's had other accolades. He's also had a very tenured career which adds to it. Basically to play high level at the number of years he has already has got to mean something

He will. While he never had championship success in the NBA, he's had other accolades. He's also had a very tenured career which adds to it. Basically to play high level at the number of years he has already has got to mean something
What other accolades? For the most popular player in the NBA for half a decade, he's accomplished very little. A gold medal in the Olympics on team USA doesn't mean much. If highlights are "accolades" than I agree.

What other accolades? For the most popular player in the NBA for half a decade, he's accomplished very little. A gold medal in the Olympics on team USA doesn't mean much. If highlights are "accolades" than I agree.
I think @Madmick made a solid list
Keep in mind the Naismith is the Basketball Hall of Fame:
  • 4x MVP vote-share earner
  • 8x All-Star
  • 2x All-NBA
  • Rookie of the Year
  • Career NBA #4 Most Games Played
  • Career NBA #23 All-Time Scorer
  • Career NBA #6 All-Time 3PM
  • Career NBA #77 All-Time Assists
  • Career NBA #47 All-Time Steals
  • 88 NBA Postseason Games Played
  • Olympic Gold Medalist
  • NCAA All-American
  • 2x Final Four appearances
  • 2x ACC Champion (in the 90's)
  • Florida High School State Champion, Florida Player of the Year, & McDonald's All-American
  • Greatest Dunker of All Time

If somebody gets left out so he is first ballot, somebody gets left out.
Reminder that all basketball accomplishments, not just NBA count for HOF.

I'd say probably...I definitely didn't think his lazy eyed cousin deserved to be and he was.

I'd say probably...I definitely didn't think his lazy eyed cousin deserved to be and he was.
Right? If that can Tracey McGrady can make the Hall. There is zero chance Vince won’t.

Karl Malone is in the HOF and I don't recall him winning any rings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back