is Usyk the greatest technical fighter currently

Usyks movement was tiring Joshua he couldn’t keep up
i mean yeah, joshua’s conditioning has always been a problem for him as a fighter. usyk stayed pretty fresh comparatively but i think AJ’s body work took some life out of him.

usyk still gets hit far more than any of the “technical” fighters you named and i expect that to be a big problem going forward at heavyweight. if he and AJ have a rematch, i believe that favors usyk, but the real issues are gonna come when he faces guys like tyson fury or some of the larger promising prospects at HW.

i mean yeah, joshua’s conditioning has always been a problem for him as a fighter. usyk stayed pretty fresh comparatively but i think AJ’s body work took some life out of him.

usyk still gets hit far more than any of the “technical” fighters you named and i expect that to be a big problem going forward at heavyweight. if he and AJ have a rematch, i believe that favors usyk, but the real issues are gonna come when he faces guys like tyson fury or some of the larger promising prospects at HW.
Kaz, you still havn't responded to my post

Golovkin outboxed Canelo...did he or did he not?

Dang... Not only did he win almost all the belts but stole all the hype....

Usyk is an aggressive boxer, not a defensive one. Comparing him with defensive boxers such as Roy, Floyd, Pernell, etc. Is unfair as what he does is way more interesting for me to watch as a fight fan.

naturally he gets hit more but on the flip side, 100% defensive stance against someone like AJ wouldn’t have worked, he needed to use this style to win that fight.

Look, you rarely have RJJ sing the praises of another fighters boxing skill, he talks about their power or the things they do right and wrong etc. But you rarely hear him just go “wtf” when talking about someone else’s boxing skill.

In the Usyk match I had to do a double take because he flat out said out loud “who does that?!” And then called him a “genius” if Roy fucking Jones Jr, one of the best pure boxers who has ever walked this earth, calls someone a genius, I’m fucking believing it.

Look, you rarely have RJJ sing the praises of another fighters boxing skill, he talks about their power or the things they do right and wrong etc. But you rarely hear him just go “wtf” when talking about someone else’s boxing skill.

In the Usyk match I had to do a double take because he flat out said out loud “who does that?!” And then called him a “genius” if Roy fucking Jones Jr, one of the best pure boxers who has ever walked this earth, calls someone a genius, I’m fucking believing it.

I remember RJJ as a commentator for Usyk's fights on HBO and I wasn't sold to him yet because of the tippy tap punching. It was intriguing to hear from Jones who said it's exactly the tippy tap punching what he loves the most about Usyk. He also explained why is that useful and it was educational as Jones is an encyclopedia for boxing.

He did though
I dont really have a dog in the fight
But he did give some reasons
he absolutely didn’t. you can easily make an argument that he outjabbed canelo in the first fight but that’s not inherently outboxing your opponent. also two completely different fighters and two completely different fights that have nothing to do with each other. this is plainly flawed logic.
Whats your counter to that?

I remember RJJ as a commentator for Usyk's fights on HBO and I wasn't sold to him yet because of the tippy tap punching. It was intriguing to hear from Jones who said it's exactly the tippy tap punching what he loves the most about Usyk. He also explained why is that useful and it was educational as Jones is an encyclopedia for boxing.

yeah I love to hear what Jones has to say always. Except for when he talks about himself or when he raps

He did though
No, he didn't. He got his ass countered all night and managed to stay in both fights but he was getting schooled and was forced to spam the bread and butter jab and try and win on activity in the first fight because Canelo played too defensive, so it was closer than 2nd fight. In the 2nd fight Canelo lit his ass up. Outboxed my ass, Canelo won both.

Usyk is an aggressive boxer, not a defensive one. Comparing him with defensive boxers such as Roy, Floyd, Pernell, etc. Is unfair as what he does is way more interesting for me to watch as a fight fan.

naturally he gets hit more but on the flip side, 100% defensive stance against someone like AJ wouldn’t have worked, he needed to use this style to win that fight.

Wait RJJ said usyk was a “genius”? that’s some respect there

I’m not a diehard by any stretch, but of the guys I’ve been following lately, Canelo is the most impressive. It’s insane the variety of parries, slips and catches he effectively uses while often being the offensive aggressor. Not a shit ton of in your face flash, but the subtle things are extremely impressive. I’d be far more apt to call him in the matrix than Loma even if Loma’s movement is more reminiscent of the rave scene in Reloaded.

I used to think Lomachenko was superior to Usyk technically, but now I would probably put Usyk over him. I feel like Loma relies on athleticism a lot more and uses more wasted movement. It looks flashy and entertaining but not as efficient

He’s very technical for a big man but I’d pick Alvarez over him.

I used to think Lomachenko was superior to Usyk technically, but now I would probably put Usyk over him. I feel like Loma relies on athleticism a lot more and uses more wasted movement. It looks flashy and entertaining but not as efficient

I don’t think he’s technical than loma. That’s not a knock on him, it’s rare to see the big guys as technical and skilled as the smaller fighters.

work rate, yes. 100%. everything else, absolutely not. not even close really. usyk’s head movement might look cooler because he does it so often but it’s not particularly effective, especially when his opponents throw 4 or 5 punch combinations. canelo’s defense is sharp as a razor no matter what you throw at him.

usyk doesn’t really cut the ring off particularly well on the front foot and has struggled to get away from bigger fighters on the back foot. canelo has only had this problem once against mayweather who might have the best footwork of all time. “angles” are largely a misrepresented fad that stems from the “(insert soviet bloc amateur standout) is in the matrix!!!!1” youtube era that is the reason behind usyk’s rise to stardom. there have been plenty of amazing anglers in the sport who haven’t done shit and fighters who can’t create angles who have been undisputed champions.

i’d argue the angles canelo creates with his hooks as fighters circle off the ropes are more effective than usyk slipping a jab, hopping, and landing a clean left to the chest

Canelo's wins pale in comparison to Usyk's.
Canelo may have more names but that’s because he’s the money fighter and been in the game a lot longer.
And those names, most of them were in their twilight years or pulled from divisions below.
Very few in prime or near prime.

That plus Usyk's hasn’t tested positive or been training under a coach with 3 current PED busted cheats.

Back