1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

is Usyk the greatest technical fighter currently

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MoreKane, Sep 26, 2021.

1. MoreKane Green Belt

he is for sure the best technical CW/HW at the moment, and all around top 5, but i hear some say he is the best currently..

is he greater technically than the likes of Loma, Bud, Canelo, Inoue etc.? would that be too much of a stretch?

2. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

not really. canelo/spence/estrada/teofimo/etc. there are a good number of fighters ahead of him. probably one of the more technical heavyweights but how impressive is that, really?

3. Hypetrainhipsta Blue Belt

Don't get me wrong, he is really skilled, but a lot also comes down to his amazing gas tank and chin. He reminds me a bit of a bigger Calzaghe without the hand problems/with decent power.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  4. MoreKane Green Belt

I think he might be better than Canelo.. .Canelo has better punch variety and counterpunching

but Usyk footwork, speed ,angles, and workrate are superior to Canelo's

A-Level Wrestler likes this.
  5. panem-et-circenses In the garden

He would embarrass your favorite technical fighter

6. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

work rate, yes. 100%. everything else, absolutely not. not even close really. usyk’s head movement might look cooler because he does it so often but it’s not particularly effective, especially when his opponents throw 4 or 5 punch combinations. canelo’s defense is sharp as a razor no matter what you throw at him.

usyk doesn’t really cut the ring off particularly well on the front foot and has struggled to get away from bigger fighters on the back foot. canelo has only had this problem once against mayweather who might have the best footwork of all time. “angles” are largely a misrepresented fad that stems from the “(insert soviet bloc amateur standout) is in the matrix!!!!1” youtube era that is the reason behind usyk’s rise to stardom. there have been plenty of amazing anglers in the sport who haven’t done shit and fighters who can’t create angles who have been undisputed champions.

i’d argue the angles canelo creates with his hooks as fighters circle off the ropes are more effective than usyk slipping a jab, hopping, and landing a clean left to the chest

7. MoreKane Green Belt

you seem to have a dislike or bias against Eastern European/white fighters or something because arguing that Usyk isn't technically skilled is quite a minority ass position among boxing fans lol

8. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

i didn’t say he wasn’t technically skilled. i just don’t think he’s the most technically skilled which is literally the question you asked. don’t make a thread asking this question if you can’t handle the answer “no” you goof.

btw canelo is literally white, weirdo.

borntoloseNOT likes this.
  9. MoreKane Green Belt

I mean Golovkin outboxed Canelo, and no one would argue that GGG is a superior technician to Usyk

Usyk has a superior jab, ring iq and generalship. He mesmerises opponents with his lead hand and then pops them with the left when all they are focused on is his lead hand.

10. Seano Hands of bone

He's fast, accurate and has great conditioning but I think you have to have tighter defense to claim to be the "greatest technical fighter." He's not good at protecting the body and seems a sucker for a jab and right over hand.

His style isn't really textbook technical at all.

KAZSoliloquy likes this.
  11. MoreKane Green Belt

i think he was slipping and making Joshua miss all day though

12. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

he absolutely didn’t. you can easily make an argument that he outjabbed canelo in the first fight but that’s not inherently outboxing your opponent. also two completely different fighters and two completely different fights that have nothing to do with each other. this is plainly flawed logic.
    he has a very nice, fast left hand. you just think the opponents don’t know it’s coming? he’s just hypnotizing everyone he fights into forgetting he has a left hand? no not at all. he rarely even sets it up, because he doesn’t usually have to. he’s just a big long guy with a nice fast left hand.

i’m not even going to address this “ring IQ” and “generalship” buzzword shit because i know damn well you couldn’t explain what those things are or how he implements those skills in a superior way to canelo. don’t dig the hole deeper for yourself.

usyk is pretty slick and has great speed, especially with his straight left, but he’s not some technical wizard a la mike mccallum. he’s just a gifted fighter.

13. Seano Hands of bone

Not really so much once Joshua found the jab though. He had Joshua whiffing in those first few rounds but in the mid rounds he was landing the jab and right hand pretty much at will.

14. MoreKane Green Belt

I think Usyk slowed down a bit in the mid rounds, it could be he was tired a bit or was saving his energy for the championship rounds, but when Usyk kicked it into 3rd gear, Joshua couldn't do anything

15. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

so getting outboxed in the middle rounds was an issue with usyk’s conditioning but joshua being visibly exhausted and eating shots late in the fight was usyk’s superior technique?

<YeahOKJen>

16. MoreKane Green Belt

so what your saying is Usyk was able to conserve his stamina better than Joshua....

17. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

maybe. he also might have just been in better overall shape.

18. MoreKane Green Belt

Usyks movement was tiring Joshua he couldn’t keep up

19. WklySportsMemes Black Belt

No his strength and durability make up for him getting tagged a fair bit. His foot work and angles are also a bit of his own. He has a unique style that works well for him.

Canelo is more technically impressive to me.

KAZSoliloquy and Hagler like this.
  20. JayE Silver Belt

He's got excellent feet, but I've always viewed his athleticism (quickness and stamina) as his most important quality. I'd place Canelo and Inoue ahead of him, technically speaking.