Is Usyk the greatest road performer in boxing history?

Carlos Ortiz IMO. Just running through his record: Elorde in the Philippines, Laguna in Panama, Locche in Argentina, Loi in Italy, Sugar Ramos in Mexico, Carlos Teo Cruz in the DR, Kenny Lane and Joe Brown in the continental USA. That's just the big names too.

Last edited:
He fought lots of Americans in the US though.
He also won and lost his Flyweight title in Thailand to Thai fighters, which is a pretty big deal just because Thai judges and refs are known to be very generous to Thai fighters.

Last edited:
I'd add Gerry Penalosa, Azumah Nelson and Tszyu in there too, all guys made their ways around.

Last edited:
Carlos Ortiz IMO. Just running through his record: Elorde in the Philippines, Laguna in Panama, Locche in Argentina, Loi in Italy, Sugar Ramos in Mexico, Joe Brown in the continental USA. That's just the big names too.
Holy moly that is impressive.

Please don't start discussions if you're just going to be a snide cock when you're not right. Tired of wasting my time with this shit. If you don't want to talk boxing, don't quote me and don't make posts for people to respond to. This is kind of what this forum is supposed to be, its not a fan club.

A9EBAD67-B4BF-49A6-9021-2A61895DA7E4.gif

I'd add Gerry Penalosa, Azumah Nelson and Tszyu in there too, all guys made their ways around.
Azumah Nelson gave Salvador Sanchez a helluva a fight before anyone outside of Ghana knew who Nelson was.
Sanchez is the greatest Mexican fighter ever while Nelson is the greatest Ghanaian fighter ever.

Last edited:
Carlos Ortiz IMO. Just running through his record: Elorde in the Philippines, Laguna in Panama, Locche in Argentina, Loi in Italy, Sugar Ramos in Mexico, Carlos Teo Cruz in the DR, Kenny Lane and Joe Brown in the continental USA. That's just the big names too.
Locche and Ramos alone give him the title.

Daniel Zaragoza called himself the road warrior, not sure about the circumstances to many of his fights, I think he upset Wayne McCullough in Las Vegas.

Laguna himself deserves a mention. Antonio Herrera in Colombia, Angel Robinson Garcia (arguably the greatest journeyman ever) in France, Saldivar in Mexico, Locche in Argentina, Ortiz in Puerto Rico, Flash Elorde in Philippines, Buchanan in Puerto Rico and New York. Not too shabby.

Speaking about Buchanan : Miguel Velazquez in Spain, Laguna in Puerto Rico and New York, Ruben Navarro in LA, Andries Stein in South Africa, Duran in New York, Ortiz in New York, Guts Ishimatsu in Japan, then for the European title : Leonard Tavarez in France, Usai in Italy, Nash in Denmark.

Also, Glen Johnson should be mentioned in any thread about fighting on the road. He lost many, but man, he fought them all in their backyards and hometown decisions were, like, hometown decisions.

No. Jack Johnson, Manny Pacquiao, Roberto Duran all immediately come to mind as being better road fighters.

Don’t think either PAC or Duran had a big fight at home. And I doubt Jack Johnson ever fought in-front of a crowd that didn’t want to see him go down or judges willing to give him a fair shake. I pretty much consider all of the elite early 1900s black fighters road warriors.

no, not even nearly the best, i can think of a better heavyweight

Lennox Lewis

Laguna himself deserves a mention. Antonio Herrera in Colombia, Angel Robinson Garcia (arguably the greatest journeyman ever) in France, Saldivar in Mexico, Locche in Argentina, Ortiz in Puerto Rico, Flash Elorde in Philippines, Buchanan in Puerto Rico and New York. Not too shabby.

Speaking about Buchanan : Miguel Velazquez in Spain, Laguna in Puerto Rico and New York, Ruben Navarro in LA, Andries Stein in South Africa, Duran in New York, Ortiz in New York, Guts Ishimatsu in Japan, then for the European title : Leonard Tavarez in France, Usai in Italy, Nash in Denmark.

Also, Glen Johnson should be mentioned in any thread about fighting on the road. He lost many, but man, he fought them all in their backyards and hometown decisions were, like, hometown decisions.
I was going to mention Johnson as well as Bennie Briscoe, but they didn't win most of those fights. Briscoe got a draw in Monzons backyard though.

I'm looking through Pascual Perez's record right now and boy did he fight a lot overseas, against a lot of credible opponents.

I don't think so in history, but he's certainly good at it.

More on Angel Robinson Garcia. He was a journeyman, hence hard to compare to the likes of Usyk, but what a journeyman he was. I posted it in an older thread.

A Cuban who boxed from super featherweight to welterweight with a professional record of 137-81-21 between 1955 and 1978. 81 losses, but only 2 guys stopped him, one of whom was Willie "the Worm" Monroe, who beat Hagler on their fist meeting. He also got DQed once.

He boxed in 19 countries and 4 continents, hailing from Cuba, France, Spain, Italy and the US.

The guy boxed 42 world ranked men, 16 world champions and 6 hall of famers. José Napoles, Carlos Hernandez, Ismael Laguna, Ken Buchanan, Miguel Velazquez, Roberto Duran, Esteban De Jesus, Marcos Geraldo, Sugar Ray Seales, Eddie Perkins, Saul Mamby, Wilfried Benitez and Billy Backus.

He partied hard, got jailed in Italy, slept in the Parisian subway when he was homeless. Castro allowed him to get back to Cuba in his later days.

Back