Is Usman a hopeless match-up for Woodley in a rematch?

So was Randy Couture, but he never won a national championship in college wrestling. So it depends what you're comparing. Did Woodley try out for the Olympics? If not, we can't compare them in that area.

So you think college wrestling is a fairly reliable indication overall? Late bloomers are rare?

Tyron is 37 right now. He'll be 38 before he could even get anther shot. He's not going to improve from here. Tyron can always land the bomb, so he has a punchers chance, but the smart money is on Usman beating him again, but worse if he even gets back to a title shot.

So you think college wrestling is a fairly reliable indication overall? Late bloomers are rare?

I didn't wrestle competitively and am not the best one to answer. I'm just saying that you can compare different credentials besides who was an Olympic alternate or not. And that credentials alone don't tell you who the best MMA wrestlers are.

Gaethje was a solid Div 1 guy but rarely uses his wrestling and gets taken down by guys like Poirier. Some people still think he can totally shut down Khabib's wrestling, but I wouldn't make that assumption. Which fighter has seriously developed their grappling chops over the last 5 years? That's just as important (maybe more important) than credentials they earned long ago.

Tyron is 37 right now. He'll be 38 before he could even get anther shot. He's not going to improve from here. Tyron can always land the bomb, so he has a punchers chance, but the smart money is on Usman beating him again, but worse if he even gets back to a title shot.

The champion usually gets a rematch

And that credentials alone don't tell you who the best MMA wrestlers are.

But he didn't really dominate him in "MMA wrestling", it was pure wrestling for the most part. It wasn't like he grounded him up against the cage and used G&P

But he didn't really dominate him in "MMA wrestling", it was pure wrestling for the most part. It wasn't like he grounded him up against the cage and used G&P

The same can be said for "no-credentials" GSP outwrestling guys with D1 credentials.

he needs to change his whole approach in order to get that back, backing up the entire match does not work against somebody like Usman who has elite level wrestling and was not afraid at all to trade with Tyron, I think he kind of broke him.

he needs to change his whole approach in order to get that back, backing up the entire match does not work against somebody like Usman who has elite level wrestling and was not afraid at all to trade with Tyron, I think he kind of broke him.

Yeah but how? Usman is not going to trade with him, and clinching is hopeless

The champion usually gets a rematch

Not really it's actually rare unless a division is very shallow.
HW: Stipe is getting one, but Werdum didn't, Cain didn't against Werdum. JDS did against Cain and Cain did against JDS.
LHW: I think Randy was the last champ to get a rematch 7 champs ago (unless you count Jones DC 2) Jones didn't lose a fight though. It's a different situation.
MW: Anderson was the last champ to get a rematch 5 champs ago.
WW: Goes back to GSP / Serra 2
LW: I think Edgar was last 7 champs ago.
FW: Aldo got one against Holloway, and he's the only FW champ to ever lose the belt in a fight so that'st 100%.
BW: Cody got one, Cruz didn't, TJ didn't, Barao did
FW: 0 champ rematches ever.

Last edited:
Yes. Woodley just gets so lost against Usman and that won't ever change.

Usman likely fights a similar fight which could go really well or really bad. Tyron has some great coaches and i wouldn't be totally surprised if they adjusted and Tyron catches Usman with a good shot coming in. If Masvidal fights Usman next, assuming Usman wins then Woodley, that would be Woodleys most ideal situation. Masvidal and Woodley both hit similar shifts when they explode forward. Woodley would have some more valuable tape on Usman. Usman could just dominate him again so who knows.

And thats coming from a Woodley hater who took immense pleasure watching Usman dominate him.

And thats coming from a Woodley hater who took immense pleasure watching Usman dominate him.

Didn't you respect the fact that Woodley wouldn't go down? He's tough even when everything is going against him. He earned my respect.

But the point is that stylistically, Usman seems to be bad news for Woodley
Maybe, we will see. I really don't know much about Usman yet. I am sure I have seen some of his fights, but none stand out in my mind. Pivotal fight for Woodley, that's for sure.

On paper Woodley is the better wrestler but MMA wrestling is different.

I think if Woodley lets his hands go he can beat any WW out there.

Everyone including Woodley and his coaches know if he lets his hands go...After about 10 of those whiffers he is gasping like a superheavyweight circus freakshow fighter from the local Alabama Slama event.

If he can effectively stall the fight from bottom and get enough stand-ups due to inactivity, he may have a real chance.

Didn't you respect the fact that Woodley wouldn't go down? He's tough even when everything is going against him. He earned my respect.

Woodley didnt have much to go down to tbh.

He was tired and getting outworked and outpositioned he wasnt getting hurt or damaged. If he would have went down from exhaustion he didn't deserve to be at the top of the division.

Woodley didnt have much to go down to tbh.

He was tired and getting outworked and outpositioned he wasnt getting hurt or damaged. If he would have went down from exhaustion he didn't deserve to be at the top of the division.

Usman had a flurry on him at one point were it looked like he was going down and it turned into a street fight. Woodley fought back on instinct.

Back