Is UFC'S LW Division Really The Most Stacked Division In MMA?

bogeyj

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mean, looking at the rankings there are definitely big names there but even in the top 10 there are guys who haven't done shit in ages that are still ranked high because of their past successes (guys like Conor, Tony and RDA). then you have inactive guys like Islam and Gillespie who fight once every 2 years and question marks like Beneil Dariush (WHOOO???) and Chandler (is he a Bellator hype job or is he really top of the heap?). Even the current champ is a question mark (does he have heart? could he beat killers like Dustin and Gaethje?)

obviously Dustin and Gaethje are legit, but looking at the rest of the division...it doesn't seem like "the deepest/most cutthroat division in combat sports" a lot of MMA pundits like to proclaim. I personally think WW is the toughest division in the UFC.

It's certainly up there, and I think part of the reason people say it's the most stacked division in MMA is because most Males competing in the sport are around average height. As unfortunate as it is, Height can often play a HUGE factor in what weight class you perform the most optimally, yeah there's frame to take into consideration as well, but take Volkanovski for example, the reason you don't see someone like him stuffing his face back up to his Rugby days to fight at L/HW is because he'd be MASSIVELY undersized, and on top of looking rather silly, he wouldn't able to perform like he does at FW with all that added FAT.

Not everyone was born hitting the genetic lottery when it comes to Height, that's often determined by your parents, something you can't control, but something you CAN control is your weight and taking the time to understand not only your frame, but your Body and the weight it performs best at. People that are taller often have the benefit of choosing to be lighter because their longer limbs allow them more flexibility when it comes to how much fat they can carry around, and not have it impact their overall performance as an Athlete or Fighter.

MMMA, maybe. Not sure about the whole of MMA tough.

Flyweight is pretty deep with talent.

I would say LW is a division that is stacked in that the top 50 are all really good but ATM it is not a very top heavy division

Imo it's bw.

Killers like Merab or Vera are not even in the top 10 and great lfighters like Yanez or Valliez are not even in the top 15

The most stacked division changes if you’re comparing top 5, top 10 or top 15.

+1
Beneil is Oliveira's biggest threat. Heavy hands and the closest in the division to match Oliveira's grappling.
He’s good for 5 rounds. Insane pace. Unorthodox striking AND grappling. Great top pressure. Scrappy. Can finish anywhere.

I mean seriously….the guys no push over.

LW is usually the most stacked because thats the average male height/weight.

BW seems somewhat stacked too

FW not really... the gap between Volk/Max and the rest of the division is pretty large. Look at what Max did to Kattar and Ortega. Its like a champ fighting the #15 guy.

Same with WW... Usman and Colby... then everyone else is leagues below them.

LW is usually the most stacked because thats the average male height/weight.

BW seems somewhat stacked too

FW not really... the gap between Volk/Max and the rest of the division is pretty large. Look at what Max did to Kattar and Ortega. Its like a champ fighting the #15 guy.

Same with WW... Usman and Colby... then everyone else is leagues below them.

I would pick Burns to beat colby

You can critique any division like that. But UFC LW is pretty stacked at the moment. I mean, what's better? Bellator HW, where a 46-year old UFC reject is still beating or going to SD with the top guys?

I think it is WW

They are average height range same as LWs they are just heavier with more muscle

The most stacked division changes if you’re comparing top 5, top 10 or top 15.

When I think of a stacked division I think of divisions where guys outside the top 15 could potentially beat guys in the top 10 without it being a big upset. Those divisions are generally between 135-170.

Throughout it's history, it's definitely been the most consistently stacked. It's an endless cycle of depth, champ to #10.

At the moment, there's a few stacked divisions as mentioned already. You can even throw in LHW right now.

It's certainly up there, and I think part of the reason people say it's the most stacked division in MMA is because most Males competing in the sport are around average height. As unfortunate as it is, Height can often play a HUGE factor in what weight class you perform the most optimally, yeah there's frame to take into consideration as well, but take Volkanovski for example, the reason you don't see someone like him stuffing his face back up to his Rugby days to fight at L/HW is because he'd be MASSIVELY undersized, and on top of looking rather silly, he wouldn't able to perform like he does at FW with all that added FAT.

Not everyone was born hitting the genetic lottery when it comes to Height, that's often determined by your parents, something you can't control, but something you CAN control is your weight and taking the time to understand not only your frame, but your Body and the weight it performs best at. People that are taller often have the benefit of choosing to be lighter because their longer limbs allow them more flexibility when it comes to how much fat they can carry around, and not have it impact their overall performance as an Athlete or Fighter.

Also muscle mass. You also dont want to be too tall at a lower weight class. A 6"2 guy at FW wont be strong, bones and organs etc weigh more so for a tall guy to have the same strength as rhese jacked FWs or LW he would need more muscle mass so much more it would not be possible for him to cut to LW or FW or BW or FLW

Back