Is UFC On Fox Networks Really Any Better Than Airing On Spike??

Papa Shaun

Grand Poobah
@Green
Reaction score
I had this discussion at work the other day with a couple of co-workers. We were discussing how most of the time, it seems like each of us end up watching Bellator on Spike, more than UFC shows/events on Fox Networks.

For one, only 2 of us have the Fox Sports-1 channel on our satellite package, but each person has Spike as part of the cable or satellite plan. So nobody but me and one other worker ever watches Prelims or episodes of TUF. Also, we discussed how when the UFC airs events on Fox, most of the time, we're all doing something else on Saturdays at 8pm, whether it's going out with friends or we're enjoying a day off from work, or occasionally I'll get busy and forget all about the card, and end up reading about the event on here the next day.

From my experience, I'm usually up late on Friday nights, enjoying the evening after a long work-week, and end up watching most of the Bellator card on Spike, or even some of the cards that air on AXS TV on Friday nights. Spike also seems to be a channel that I tend to turn to, when I want to find something at random to watch.

So, my question is, do you think the contract with Fox actually benefits the UFC more, than the previous contract with Spike? Personally, I think Spike did help the UFC grow, but I don't know if it's continued in that pattern since moving to Fox?? What are your thoughts??

The only time I ever watched Spike TV was for UFC related stuff. Otherwise all their programming is retarded bullshit. The Fox channels have more mass appeal, IMO, even if not everybody has FS1 yet. Plus, the regular Fox cards are seen by huge amounts of people. How is that not better than Spike?

Fox is paying them a lot of money and giving them exposure on free TV 4 times a year.

It was easier as a fan knowing that all UFC programming was either going to be on Spike or PPV but other than that, I don't see a problem.

The ratings aren't great on Fox but they are grateful to the UFC because they have established Fox Sports 1 as a new channel and they are drawing the key 18-34 male demographic.

UFC is still a PPV business and Fox hasn't hurt their numbers there at all and if anything, should help them a bit when promoted on NFL games.

UFC on Fox is huge, even if it's 4 times a year, the audience UFC reaches is far beyond anything Spike could get them. It also help legitimatize the sport. Though we sit here on the forums in a bubble, many people still don't know how MMA should be regarded. With the events on Fox next too Football commentators, I think it really does help make people accept the sport far more (compared to deadliest warrior and 100 ways to die programming on Spike...)

to me Fox is the good looking unfaithful girlfriend. Spike wasn't as attractive but Spike was all in when it came to showing the UFC fights. Fights were never bumped for tennis, pool, etc.

Fox is paying them a lot of money and giving them exposure on free TV 4 times a year.

It was easier as a fan knowing that all UFC programming was either going to be on Spike or PPV but other than that, I don't see a problem.

The ratings aren't great on Fox but they are grateful to the UFC because they have established Fox Sports 1 as a new channel and they are drawing the key 18-34 male demographic.

UFC is still a PPV business and Fox hasn't hurt their numbers there at all and if anything, should help them a bit when promoted on NFL games.

Yes. The FS1 may seem like a negative to a degree on UFC's end but you have to understand it is a mutual agreement. Fox is giving UFC tons of exposure with Fox cards and advertising. UFC is helping Fox build their FS1 network.

Fox pays UFC more than Spike by a wide margin. What UFC does for Fox is increasing demand for FS1. They are hoping sports fans will start demanding FS1 from their cable/satellite provider.

I think the only time it helps is when they do a show on "Big Fox". That does get the sport out and visible to pretty much everybody nationwide. Otherwise it can be difficult to figure out what Fox Sports channel an event is on, or you have to change channels halfway thru the prelims. A lot of the Fox events also seem to drag on way to long. It shouldn't take 4 hours to do 5 fights.

Plus I hate that stupid robot...

to me Fox is the good looking unfaithful girlfriend. Spike wasn't as attractive but Spike was all in when it came to showing the UFC fights. Fights were never bumped for tennis, pool, etc.

When has that happened? Spike also didn't show nearly as many fights. FS1 shows ten fights usually for a TV event as opposed to the four on Spike and has way more events.

They were all in because the network had nothing else valuable to promote on their network. Fox may have higher priorities than UFC but that doesn't mean that Spike is a better option.

Better comparison is an overly attached average looking gf (who is now a crazy and biter ex) to a good looking one who is aware she could get other guys if she wanted but doesn't.

But...as we discussed at work....it seems like the UFC experienced more growth as a company from it's time on Spike, than it has since it has been on Fox. The company was gaining steam and becoming more popular in the Spike years (part of it was just do to more exposure to teens/young adults on TV), while now it's reached a level point, where it doesn't seem to be losing or gaining, but just maintaining.

Who pays them more? Fox so that's all that matters. UFC brings viewers to FS1 in exchange for Fox letting them do sub par numbers on Fox to attract new viewers.

They do great in the demo that advertisers want to have the most of, and that's all that matters.

Plus if I am UFC I'd much rather follow up other sports on FS1 or whatever is on Fox then to follow up 20 hours of Cops or Lou Diamond Phillips Reservation Rescue or some shit.

Fox can eventually lead them to becoming main stream or a real sport. Spike? Never.

But...as we discussed at work....it seems like the UFC experienced more growth as a company from it's time on Spike, than it has since it has been on Fox. The company was gaining steam and becoming more popular in the Spike years (part of it was just do to more exposure to teens/young adults on TV), while now it's reached a level point, where it doesn't seem to be losing or gaining, but just maintaining.
When UFC started on Spike it was was a hail mary time buy. They were very small at the time. Any growth Spike offered by the end of their agreement was gone. The growth had already leveled out. Spike had UFC on a lot but a good chunk was just reruns. Their live content was far less.

Fox offers more live events. Shoes more fights during each event and even more fights during the prelims. That will allow UFC to give more exposure to more fighters.

Well they used to be on FX which has as many viewers as Spike, but Fox put them back on Fox Sports 1. If UFC initially knew that would happen, they'd probably re-sign with Spike instead.

They were getting more than a million viewers when they were on Spike for pretty much every event yet they've only had like 2 events so far on FS1 to break the million mark.

Fox just needs to realize that UFC fans are not the same as Nascar, MLB, and NFL fans.

Well they used to be on FX which has as many viewers as Spike, but Fox put them back on Fox Sports 1. If UFC initially knew that would happen, they'd probably re-sign with Spike instead.

They were getting more than a million viewers when they were on Spike for pretty much every event yet they've only had like 2 events so far on FS1 to break the million mark.

Fox just needs to realize that UFC fans are not the same as Nascar, MLB, and NFL fans.
First I guarantee you UFC knew they were going to be on FS1 once it launched.

Second Fox offerrd UFC more than double, almost tripple what Spike did. So there was no chance in hell UFC resigned with Spike.

Third UFC continues to get 2 million+ on big Fox sometimes even 3 million+ even over 4 million.

Fourth Fox is under no dillusion on where UFC lies in the sport hierarchy. But keep in mind Fox pays far less for UFC annually than they do NASCAR, MLB, NBA, NFL, or even NCAA. Despite being one of Fox'es least expensive properties it is regularly in the highest end of the ratings on FS1 and crushes the station average every event.

Finally you don't know what you're talking about, and your observation skills are sub par.

Yes. Spike is not a very good channel, at all.

Back