Is UFC a "fight" to you?

The ultimate fight environment would have no bans but cage grabbing, but MMA is a sport, not just "fighting".

When you watch the UFC, do you feel like you are watching a fight or just a competition between 2 guys?

It's mostly sport these days. I preferred it when it was a proper fight. That being said I think that MMA guyss would stomp the shit out of an other type of fighter in a street fight. MMA maybe controlled by some rules but its fairly close to a real fight.

Its sport combat, what do you expect?

If you are punching or kicking someone, you are in a fight imo.

having all the rules favor wrestlers makes it no longer a fight.

but it's as close as it gets, apparently.

Well a fight IS a competition regardless of context so ... yeah ... both

Its really not a fight. All of the most damaging blows are against the rules.

When you watch the UFC, do you feel like you are watching a fight or just a competition between 2 guys?

a little bit of both but way more on the fight side.

I mean for fucks sakes, people throwing punches and kicks at each other's heads with the goal of getting a knockout... how is that not a fight?

What? just because it's not an "anything goes" fight?

You do realize that even a real fight can have rules, don't you? I've seen plenty of times where both guys who decided to settle a beef agreed to some basic stuff before hand (like no eye gouging, no biting)

if you only consider it a fight when it's like one of those spontaneous burst of rage fights, then that's pretty dumb.

Heck even in those fights, people tend to implement rules on THEMSELVES (because they dont' necessarily want to kill the other guy--so they might decide to let's say... not stomp his head, or stab his throat)

so is it only a fight if someone is fighting for their life and anything goes?

I think the real question would be if you were to meet a fighter in real life which type you prefer to fight. I think I rather fight a striker since he would be slamming me to the ground.

that doesn't make any sense.

that's like saying two people shooting at each other with pistols isn't a real shoot out because there are much more powerful guns out there.

It's sport fighting. I always thought it weird that BJJ matches are called "fights." I never thought about them that way when I was competing.

bring in the soccer kicks, stomps and knees to the head of a downed opponent. 10 minute first round and yellow cards for stalling.. Then we have a fight to take PRIDE in.

having all the rules favor wrestlers makes it no longer a fight.

but it's as close as it gets, apparently.

No headbutts
No downward pointed elbows
No knees to head of grounded opponents
No strikes to the back of the head
Free standup every 5 minutes
Octagon floor isn't made of asphalt

Yeah, rules favor wrestlers for sure...

Depends on who's fighting and what's going on. Sometimes it switches gears mid-match too.

This.

Who I don't think counts as watching a fight.... GSP. Sorry but no.

A competition 100%, its two guys who know what they're doing. I think of a fight more as a spontaneous, sloppy fit of rage, where there's real danger involved. I don't like to see real fights.

Are you referring to real world attacks like Soccer kicks or
the ones that only live in the mind of idiots like where they reach in your chest and pull out your beating heart?

It's a sport but it's as close as it's going to get to a real fight.

Back