Is Tyrone Spong still valid to fight in kickboxing?

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by Broadcast, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Broadcast

Broadcast Black Belt

You know he had a leg injury.

2. Monte Moku

Monte Moku Kame-sen'nin

Not sure what being "valid to fight in kickboxing" means exactly, but he competes in Boxing, so I'd say yes? He seems healthy and able-bodied

Vegeta likes this.
  3. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

If you're trying to line up a Ghita opponent look elsewhere. Spong is committed to his Boxing career.

4. ichibang

ichibang Black Belt

He could, but he is chasing that elusive fat purse in boxing.

Vegeta likes this.
  5. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

He's not coming back to Kickboxing. His leg's not the same since the injury (at least not to kick with) and he's getting closer and closer to some big name fights in Boxing. He might already be making more than in Kickboxing and as soon as he fights a big name he'll be fighting for millions - which he is pretty close to doing.

There's also nothing left to prove for him in KB apart from maybe a fight with Rico at HW. But even then it wouldn't make sense to come back to KB for that fight for such low money when he can get to fight a big name in HW Boxing for heaps more money instead.

6. Broadcast

Broadcast Black Belt

Certainly not, I just have some fantasy Final 32s and Final 16s in my head. Plus I am curious if any promotion would offer him.

Did somebody mention the Sherdog that Spong"s foot will never be able anymore for kickboxing or I am wrong?

7. PERFECT KICKBOXING

PERFECT KICKBOXING Orange Belt

well, well, well...Seems my understanding of the Dutch language comes in handy at this moment. In a interview here he very seriously and literally claimed his stop with kickboxing has nothing to do with his leg injury and he will fight kickboxing fights again if the price is right. He also said his leg is 100% fine and can fight kickboxing fights.

drbolony, Aerosol, Mafanofe and 3 others like this.
  8. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

This interview seems newer so maybe things have changed but around 2016 he said that it's always hard psychologically to low kick again when you've broken your leg and gone through so much pain that way, especially not for that kind of money that Kickboxing offers. He said when you break your leg it's never the same again, and breaking it again could possibly even mean retiring from fighting altogether, not just kickboxing, so it's not worth the risk for that kind of KB money.

9. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

You're really not at more risk of breaking it again as long as it is fully healed. In fact the bone will be thicker at the break.

10. Broadcast

Broadcast Black Belt

Do you really believe that? Or just in training, after trainings? Here we talk about a leg with former problems.

11. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

I've broken my leg before. The bone builds up denser when healing. The biggest hurdle after healing is the mental aspect.

12. Blazeblack

Blazeblack Green Belt

Jesus Christ. Did you break it throwing a low kick?

13. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

No, not a cool story I broke it moving an old heavy ass water heater down steps. Fortunately it was the fibula not the tibia (shin bone) which is supposed to be more painful, but my foot spun sideways too which wasn't fun. It took me quite a while to feel comfortable throwing kicks with that leg when I got back in the gym after it healed.

Blazeblack likes this.
  14. listrahtes

listrahtes Brown Belt

Thats correct but sometimes because of accumulated trauma over the course of a career bone density can lessen drastic in relevant areas and your overall risk of getting fractures increases by a lot . Its a structural osteoblastic weakeaning which cant be reversed and will be with you for the rest of your life.

Repeated hard blows onto a bone will always lessen bone density longterm (thats why punches on wood for "strenghtening bones" are retarded). Mostly this will be a problem after the fight career.

Regarding Spong he is a subpar boxer and always will be. Not much development in the last years. Imo his change from kickboxing was not the right move career wise. Lets hope he got paid accordingly.

Snubnoze707 likes this.
  15. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Ya I don't know the science but I've just heard that. Don't take my Sherdog PHD seriously.

I still have a metal plate and 8 screws in mine tho. The first year back a southpaw attempted to parry a mid kick and drove his elbow right into that plate and I couldn't walk for a day.

16. listrahtes

listrahtes Brown Belt

I did not want to oppose you. Just complete it. You are right your bone is stronger were it broke. It will never again break at exactly this point. Its just annother aspect that can occur I wrote about and its more a longterm effect. ;)

17. Blazeblack

Blazeblack Green Belt

Sucks dude, I’v had similar experiences with bad sprains. It takes a while to get that confidence back.

18. Mafanofe

Mafanofe Black Belt

he could if he had the a good purse on a fight against Hari or Verhoeven, otherwise is better to make his way into boxing and catch the future big purses

19. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

I wonder how much he makes now per fight vs how much he made in Glory, wouldn't surprise me if he's already making about the same. It will only get better from now too.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol Green Belt

Yep but right next to the break the bone suffers more strain due to the diminished bone flexibility cause of the thicker bone around the break so the leg indeed is at a higher risk of breaking again.

Broadcast likes this.