Is TUF still relevant?

Anyone who doesn't watch TUF is a casual.
lol. Might not be completely true but it has a basis in truth. I'm pretty much the only one I know who watches it, and am the only one at every UFC from my group. I have another friend who lives elsewhere and sometimes joins us. He loves MMA and does podcasts https://www.youtube.com/user/MMAJustice (a little promotion for him). We were talking about Stepe vs Cormier before it happened, and I was going with Stepe, but I said I was concerned because at that time Cormier was 5-0 in TUF and it seemed to show that regardless of who the better fighter was that Cormier still one because the coaching seemed to do that, and as such no matter who was actually better Cormier would probably win because of his coaching (though I still went with Stepe).
And he said I had given a spoiler for who won the TUF that he hadn't caught up on yet. And I was surprised. I didn't think anyone else watched it. But he does, and he's more into it then my other friends.

I remember watching regularly up to Jones vs Sonnen then stopped. I don't know why but I lost interest in tuf after that I even skipped Mcgregor vs Faber and only tuned back into Stipe and DC because I really like both fighters. Regardless of weight class I'll be watching this one too because of Robert and Kelvin and I think it's great because I can still remember watching both of them become the winners of their seasons so I can't wait
You were a big enough TUF watcher that you even watched a special edition TUF, TUF smashes. It was a solid TUF though to watch, even though few fighters made it and lasted in the UFC. And coincidentally Kelvin's season brought in few fighters too. This is a really cool match though. Like both Kelvin and Whittaker (particularly because of TUF for both). Both TUF winners. Whittaker was probably the number one pick in his season and Kelvin was picked dead last. Should be great!

no not at all. check this forum for instance, new season is out and we got no traffic. i stopped caring at about season 16.

There wasn't really anything interesting happening on the first episode. It's 8 mens heavyweights and 8 women featherwieghts (which is good cause women's featherweights are definitely needed to be bolstered). Dana was literally there for like less than 5 minutes never to be seen again. Whittaker and Gastelum aren't beefing nor are they really interesting in terms of their character. The only fight they had was one sided and I think if it was on the contender series it would be considered a boring match. This season is Heavy Hitters but I don't think any of these fighters have major knockout power compared to other Heavyweights in the UFC. I am willing to give it some time though to see if it'll improve.

Last edited:
Diego Sanchez’ refusal to retire keeps TUF relevant.

I love getting to know the characters on the show and developing biases for whatever reason or preferences for certain personalities and rooting for those fighters. Really enjoyed TUF 27. When is the winner Brad Katona going to be fighting next? I rooted for him from the beginning.

I haven't watched it since whenever Forrest Griffin won.

Anyone who doesn't watch TUF is a casual.
I used to agree with this. But the reality is that the amount of worldwide MMA which is more important than TUF is mindboggling. ONE, Bellator, PFL, ACB, FNG, M1, CWFC, LFA, KSW, Rizin. You could make the case that anyone who doesn't follow all of those promotions is a casual, as all of those promotions currently feature very high level MMA.

If you don’t watch, like it, or think it’s relivent, then how did you click on the “the ultimate fighter” discussion thread?

Yea I think it's relevant. Even if it doesn't produce immediate champs. The TUF show is and has been a way for unpopular talent to get a shot. It's hard to walk up to 16 guys and predict which 1-3 are going to have a good career in the ufc. But if you take those 16 guys and let them face each other, a few begin to emerge and that's what this shows all about. It shows which fighters have natural talent and it also shows how they adapt and take coaching. That's a good predictor of how they will do

I often hear that TUF isn't relevant anymore. And it appeared that way for a while, the first few seasons made future champs and then there was a dead zone. But recently it has become very relevant again.
As of Nov 4th 2017, after TJ and Rose took their titles and before GSP beat Bisping there were 5 TUF alum UFC Champions.
1. Michael Bisping Middleweight Champ
2. Robert Whittaker Interm Middleweight Champ
3. Tony Ferguson Interm Lightweight Champ
4. T.J. Dillashaw Bantamweight Champ
5. Rose Namajunas Woman's Strawweight Champ

GSP beat Bisping to bring it down to 4, but then Nicco Montano won the Flyweight Champ to bring it back to 5.
And Finally Tony got injured and stripped. So we currently stand at 4.
I understand Nicco was a guaranteed title for TUF. But compared to the number of non-TUF fighters who fight in the UFC verus TUF fighters each year and the total number of belts TUF fighters are doing well above average.
You forgot Matt Serra and Rashad Evans, as past Champs who were on TUF..

There wasn't really anything interesting happening on the first episode. It's 8 mens heavyweights and 8 women featherwieghts (which is good cause women's featherweights are definitely needed to be bolstered). Dana was literally there for like less than 5 minutes never to be seen again. Whittaker and Gastelum aren't beefing nor are they really interesting in terms of their character. The only fight they had was one sided and I think if it was on the contender series it would be considered a boring match. This season is Heavy Hitters but I don't think any of these fighters have major knockout power compared to other Heavyweights in the UFC. I am willing to give it some time though to see if it'll improve.
This is part of why TUF works on me. I have been hoping for the women's featherweight devision to die because it isn't a division, it's 3 featherweights and 2 bantomweights. Suddenly I'm thinking I could enjoy this devision if I get to know an love a big influx of woman's featherweights. This show could make me look forward to those fights!
I don't mind coaches not beefing, and the priority of early TUF was a little off trying to stir up the fighters for the show. But personally I do wish they focused a bit more on the fighters in the house like the old days, getting to know them rather than on them training. I love mma but I don't want to watch training videos, that is very similar all around. Beef between coaches like other things freshens things up. I don't mind my mma mixed in with non mma things. That's why I enjoy Looking for a fight.

I love getting to know the characters on the show and developing biases for whatever reason or preferences for certain personalities and rooting for those fighters. Really enjoyed TUF 27. When is the winner Brad Katona going to be fighting next? I rooted for him from the beginning.
I completely agree! That is what I love about the show, and I wish they brought in more of them into the UFC. You just invested in getting me to to know and love these fighters and get excited every time I see one on a card and now you aren't even giving finalists a second chance, seems like a waste of promotion.
Unfortunately I don't know when Brad Katona fights again. Seems the winners like breaks after all those fights close together. I also rooted for him from the beginning. I couldn't help it, there was just something iconic about the Clark Kent/ Superman thing. It just felt like he was meant to win (and I'm not a huge superman fan). I was also pumped because he is the first Canadian TUF winner not counting TUF nations where half the fighters were Canadian.

You forgot Matt Serra and Rashad Evans, as past Champs who were on TUF..
You're confused. He was saying there were simultaneously 5 TUF champs after Rose beat Joanna. It went back down to 4 after GSP beat Bisping the same night.

I used to agree with this. But the reality is that the amount of worldwide MMA which is more important than TUF is mindboggling. ONE, Bellator, PFL, ACB, FNG, M1, CWFC, LFA, KSW, Rizin. You could make the case that anyone who doesn't follow all of those promotions is a casual, as all of those promotions currently feature very high level MMA.
Yes this isn't a true statement, but there is some seed of truth in it. But you are right, in a lot of ways I'm fairly casual, I only stick to the UFC. I just know there is too much out there so I focus on what I can. A true mma hardcore fan would seek out all the top fighters and up and comers, and legends and follow them in whatever organization they are in. I don't even know if I qualify as a hardcore UFC viewer, though I watch all the fights and all the shows bringing in fighters, I don't go further than that. But perhaps a more accurate statement would that anyone who doesn't watch TUF is not a hardcore UFC fan, even if they are a hardcore MMA fan.

Back