Is triangle choke effective nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pff Sanchez aparently never heard bout "Triangle Heaven"

That's no excuse!

It isn't an excuse, it is a reason though. I haven't given up on it and still drill it but it will never be anywhere near my top five moves. When I do finish it, It is typically in this manner or the reverse of that postion that usually comes when you sweep them from the triangle.
yokosankaku.gif

defintly still very effective, all depends on the practitioner more than the technique.

It just came to me, do you think triangles are effective way to win a fight nowadays? Because before when I was watching MMA during pride days, and even in the UFC, triangles seemed to be one of most commonly used and effective means to submit an opponent. But now,after watching the last diego sanchez fight against jon fitch, the triangle made by Sanchez was sunk in pretty deep but Fitch managed to get out from it. Same goes for other fighters today. Probably, triangles were mostly used before so a lot of fighters today know how to get out of it. So guys, what are you opinions? thanks

Ask Kurt Pelligrino if they work.

And Nate Diaz.

It isn't an excuse, it is a reason though. I haven't given up on it and still drill it but it will never be anywhere near my top five moves. When I do finish it, It is typically in this manner or the reverse of that postion that usually comes when you sweep them from the triangle.
yokosankaku.gif

I used to believe the same thing, being built like a hobbit. Not I see the folly of my ways. Just practice it more. You'll get it.

Why dont you ask Kurt Pellegrino or Denis Kang this question!

Nate Diaz knew the MINUTE he slapped it on Pellegrino that the fight was over! Some triangles simply can not be fought....others are weak! If yours is weak I recommend that you immediately go for the arm bar or omoplata instead of the triangle!

just what I was going to say. Diaz didn't need to pull the head down and Pellegrino had already had enough. It just has to be sunk

just what I was going to say. Diaz didn't need to pull the head down and Pellegrino had already had enough. It just has to be sunk

pulling the head down isn't necessary once you have good squeezing power

So long as professional grapplers and MMA guys are getting tapped by it, I'd say its effective.

How many times has Jon Fitch been submitted in his entire career? Once and that was his pro debut. Not a good example to discredit a submission.

Why dont you ask Kurt Pellegrino or Denis Kang this question!

Nate Diaz knew the MINUTE he slapped it on Pellegrino that the fight was over! Some triangles simply can not be fought....others are weak! If yours is weak I recommend that you immediately go for the arm bar or omoplata instead of the triangle!

Exactly, they'll always be really effective

BMA_Matt is bringing back the triangle.

But seriously, ask Kurt Pelligrino if its still effective.

I pulled off a triangle choke at my school after lunch one day, and the kid got knocked out. He was about 6'5 and Im 5'7. He lost his footing near a locker so I executed the move and now im famous haha. Well in school I am.

Ofcourse there ineffective just like armbars and kimuras no longer work because Hardy escaped GSP's armbar and kimura.

No, the triangle is doomed to extinction! BUT! In the distant and remote lands of Panama, only one man can save it. Yes, this person, or shall I say, this mighty Jiu-Jitsu hero, with the help of his magical technique, "knee on biceps" is the only hope for the triangle. Who knows, if this man can come over to America and teach his "triangle heaven" we can see it applied successfully in the UFC again? But, this can take some time, since our grappling lord is taking some time off to cure the acne on his face...

Man, I'm having a really tough day but posts like this definetely helps a lot, I know it's two years old but THANKS nonetheless :icon_chee :icon_chee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back