Is triangle choke effective nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP is looking at it wrong...
just because a fighter escapes it, doesn't mean it's a poor submission...
just means that it wasn't right in that exact scenario.

There may be more poor triangle attempts than pretty finishes via it, but that doesn't mean it is an ineffective sub.

Great point...
Just because a submission appears to be "sunk in" does not mean that it actually is. Myself i have often be in positions (such as a triangle choke) where i was fine and never felt in danger, worked my way out...and after words people on the side line would comment
"how the hell did you get out, that was sunk it!"

Either 1) i was positioned the right way, so that the choke was not totally effective (thus allowing me to get out), 2) my opt had not applied the submission 100% perfect thus giving me the "space" i needed to get out, or 3) a combo of the above...

Just because you see a few people get out of a submission does not make it obsolete!

Where is Mr, Mikey "Every sub a flying one" Triangles on this one?

I contributed to this joke thread on the first page, but here's a serious answer:

I've actually submitted people from inside the locked triangle in Advanced competition, but you can possibly seriously think the triangle is not a solid submission when it's one of the best there is. Some people have just have better defense then you have offense; that should not reflect on your opinion of the technique itself in any way.

Never seen anyone try this escape. In fact, I don't see many people stack at all.
YouTube - Bas Rutten Triangle Defense

that's because stacking is terrible, and only helps the guy trying to triangle you. This is an outdated escape that doesn't really work. Now I say doesn't really work because obviously if you're much bigger and more experienced then the person you're fighting you can make it work, but you won't against someone who's good, and your size. in fact the only reason that video is up is because Bas kicks his student in the head; watch close for a laugh.

There's plenty of good triangle defense's that don't require you to give them a chance to make it tighter and choke you out quicker, or sweep you.... which is basically all stacking does.

ya most certainly a really effective way at ending a fight.

Your % of finishing with a triangle really depends on how good your technique is. Triangles are in no way obsolete because a fighter escaped a tight sub like that.

Theres probably every type of submission that has been escaped from, that means that (more often than not) the technique used wasn't up to par (barring extra variables like slipperyness, strength difference, etc.)

How can you talk shit about a sub that leaves the other guy smelling your nuts before he passes out?

The biggest dogs always face-hump the smaller ones bro!

You're only gay if you take it!

the hail mary triangle is on the way out. what needs to be understood that the triangles effectiveness depends on how you set it up. the better the set up, and the better the hip positioning the better the triangle.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OtGsUg8dT94&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OtGsUg8dT94&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Pz

Finally! I was thinking about making a thread on this myself.

The triangle chokes day has come and gone. Human carotids have evolved to the point that traingle chokes no longer work. It's time for all of you obsolete triangle users to upgrade. Its time for you to get with the program. It's time for you to learn...the BOLT lock!

Look it up on youtube.

Your welcome!:icon_twis

No, due to the sudden and dramatic change in human physiology a couple of years ago, the triangle choke is no longer effective.

Ask Pelegrino about the effectiveness of a triangle.

Don't forget that some guys are just hard to triangle and some guys are just not built to triangle well. I happen to fall into both categories with wide shoulders, no neck and really short legs. Unless someone has insanely long legs or the technical disparity is huge, they won't even lock it up on me and even then the chance of them subbing me with it are low unless they transition to the armbar before I can escape. On the other side, unless I am a lot better then the guy and he is fairly small in the shoulders, it is a waste of time. I still use it to open other things up and to keep guys honest but it isn't and will never be a high percentage technique for me against a comparably skilled fighter.

Don't forget that some guys are just hard to triangle and some guys are just not built to triangle well. I happen to fall into both categories with wide shoulders, no neck and really short legs. Unless someone has insanely long legs or the technical disparity is huge, they won't even lock it up on me and even then the chance of them subbing me with it are low unless they transition to the armbar before I can escape. On the other side, unless I am a lot better then the guy and he is fairly small in the shoulders, it is a waste of time. I still use it to open other things up and to keep guys honest but it isn't and will never be a high percentage technique for me against a comparably skilled fighter.

That's no excuse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back