Is training in 6200 foot elevation high?

I have an altitude tent, and I have an altitude mask you can wear while using a treadmill or an indoor trainer or whatever.

Training at altitude does positively affect your cardio at sea level, and sleeping at altitude and training at sea level even more so than that.

I am actually planning a pretty gruesome ride on my indoor trainer at 12,500 feet tomorrow.

How much for the altitude mask? I had no idea they even made those. Time to get my Google on...

I have an altitude tent, and I have an altitude mask you can wear while using a treadmill or an indoor trainer or whatever.

Training at altitude does positively affect your cardio at sea level, and sleeping at altitude and training at sea level even more so than that.

I am actually planning a pretty gruesome ride on my indoor trainer at 12,500 feet tomorrow.

"Live high train low" So basically you can get the both benefits of physiologic improvements of high altitude living and being able to push your training intensity at the low altitudes..

I'm sitting at my computer recovering from my ride as I type this.

The mask comes with the tent. You hook up the mask to the tube that goes into the tent itself.

It's basically an air hose that connects to the CAT unit.

I just did 62 minutes on 14.9% O2, as opposed to 20.8% which is normal atmospheric air.

Yes, there is still 20.8% O2 on the top of Mount Everest, but the pressure is much less, so the partial pressure of the O2 is greatly reduced.

The machine belongs to my brother, and he spent around $6k I think. He's a competitive cyclist by the way.

I hate the tent. I just feel weird sleeping in a tent while at home. It makes me sort of nervous like someone could break in and rob me and I'd be helpless.

Even though the tent is clear, it still makes me nervous. Plus, you've got the hassle of unzipping/zipping if you want to get in and out.

Like, you can't just go into your room and plop down on the bed. You've got to go through some steps first, so it's kind of annoying.

The day the tent came in the mail, we turned it on and let it go as high as it could go. We went in the tent and sat there as it elevated the air. After it got to around 12,500 (that's as high as his will go, and it takes probably 30 minutes for the tent to reach that altitude...the mask is like a minute tops), I did like 15 minutes of nonstop bodyweight exercises. I felt like I was producing lactic acid faster than I should have, and I couldn't keep up with it.

So, after 15 minutes of this, I got out and me and my brother were all excited and shit.

That afternoon I was so tired I couldn't stay awake. For some reason, I was abnormally sleepy the rest of the day. My eyes weren't staying open.

I was sitting in my mother-in-law's living room, and they were talking to me but I couldn't keep my eyes open.

I went back the next day and rode the bike trainer for around 30 minutes or something. I wasn't quite so sleepy, and I haven't been sleepy since.

One thing I do when I ride it now is sing. I'll watch a music dvd and sing along with the musicians, or I'll put a movie on mute or something, grab my Ipod, and then sing along with the songs.

Now, I'll ride the bike trainer for about an hour, get off, then get in an ice bath. I feel like a million bucks for the rest of the day.

I'll be hating life in about 3 hours though, because me and my wife are going to the light house at Tybee Island today. It's 178 steps to the top, and my legs are fried.

That's some crazy shit. Obviously massively cost prohibitive for the average Joe, but damn I'd love to try it out.

That's some crazy shit. Obviously massively cost prohibitive for the average Joe, but damn I'd love to try it out.

I mean, if you have the money to burn and you really want to boost your cardio, go ahead and get one.

But for $50 you can go to a military surplus store and get a gas mask instead.

Sure the tent/mask is better, but you can get obscene improvements in your cardio by running with a gas mask.

You may scare some neighbors, but I'll trade a few beats dropped from my RHR for one or two idiots.

I am no expert on it myself, but I do know there's incredible psychological and physiological stresses put on the body at high altitude and the benefits of the alt. training is probably not great enough to overcome it. A common misconception most people have is they believe there is less oxygen at elevation when it's the pressure that makes the difference, not the oxygen levels.

I've lived in Colorado all my life and this goes against everything I've ever read/heard. I know when I go to lower elevations, I feel like I'm in incredibly good shape even if I'm in bad shape. Do you have a source?

I mean, if you have the money to burn and you really want to boost your cardio, go ahead and get one.

Sure the tent/mask is better, but you can get obscene improvements in your cardio by running with a gas mask.

You may scare some neighbors, but I'll trade a few beats dropped from my RHR for one or two idiots.

Huh? Like a regular gas mask? How does that lower O2 pressure?

I know it works great for my BDSM dungeon scenarios.

Huh? Like a regular gas mask? How does that lower O2 pressure?

It doesn't lower PP of O2, it just makes it harder to breath the way you want to breath.

Gas mask runs were harder than hell, and gas masks on the stress shooting courses were horrible.

When we took the thing off and did the same work, it was cake.

It's an old military trick.

It doesn't lower PP of O2, it just makes it harder to breath the way you want to breath.

Gas mask runs were harder than hell, and gas masks on the stress shooting courses were horrible.

When we took the thing off and did the same work, it was cake.

It's an old military trick.

Oh okay....definitely cheaper than 6K. What about a ball gag?:D

its 6200 ft above sea leavel which is 0.0 Training at altitude wearing gas mask is not recommended. Its actually dangerous.

I thought you're supposed to train at regular level, but sleep in higher elevation. Bj Penn had a thing on his All Access on it...

I don't have the source(s) handy, but have repeatedly read that living/training at altitude causes the body to increase production of red blood cells, which transport oxygen throughout the body.

I thought you're supposed to train at regular level, but sleep in higher elevation. Bj Penn had a thing on his All Access on it...

I have heard this motto with endurance athletes, "Live High, Train Low."

Sorry to ressurect this thread but I thought of you when I saw the wandy cardio training on ufc.com.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/wandys-hypoxia-training-ufc-com-778843/

I don't know about the ice bath at the end. Does that prevent excessive muscular damage by decreasing inflammation? Does it work?

Sorry to ressurect this thread but I thought of you when I saw the wandy cardio training on ufc.com.

I don't know about the ice bath at the end. Does that prevent excessive muscular damage by decreasing inflammation? Does it work?

Yes, water therapy definitely helps. If you run a search on this you'll probably find some threads regarding it. It's good to alternate between hot and cold water.

Okay, first of all, this guy should be banned for simple stupidity:

wands snorkel is stupid.....he should go back to chutebox with shogun and pickup the pieces there

Second of all, thanks for linking that video. I hadn't seen that one yet.

Yes, training with the snorkel WILL help his cardio. Training with his nose closed at the same time will make it even more effective.

With a snorkel, you can, for the most part, breath as much as necessary. But, there is a little bit of resistance within in the breathing pattern due to the one way nature of a snorkel, not to mention the fact that you're just going to simply get less air into your lungs.

This is similar to wearing a military gas mask, which is something I've been harping on since I was a white belt on this website.

Ice baths:

Basically when you train really hard, your cells respire aerobically and anaerobically. There is too much of a demand for energy compared to the amount of oxygen available. We are aerobic organisms that have the ability to respire anaerobically as well, but the difference is that our aerobic respiration is extremely efficient, and we create a lot of ATP in the presence of oxygen, but when we have to respire anaerobically, we create much, much less ATP, and that's why you peter out so quickly if you sprint / flurry.

If you jog, you can keep jogging for a long time.

If you sprint as fast as you can, you will not be able to go for that long, and that's because the energy just isn't there to sustain that work load.

Now, anaerobic respiration creates a byproduct called lactic acid. Lactic acid does nothing for you, and it is not responsible for any performance boost. It's simply a physiological result of hard work.

You get into an ice bath, and your body responds by constricting the blood vessels. This reduces inflammation, relieves pain, and the subsequent rushing of blood aids in removal of wastes from the tissues.

The initial running away of the blood from the extremities took some of the lactic acid with it, and then when normal flow returned, a bunch of new blood shows up and cleans the rest out.

I don't have much time to respond this morning, and this is all I can do for now.

For anyone that's ever had sore shoulders:

Sit on an exercise bike with an ice pack on your shoulder and pedal for 20 minutes.

Close your arms (cross them in front of your chest), cover the shoulder in ice, and pedal nice easy for 20 minutes.

Training at that height will def help improve your oxygen consumption. Give your body time to adapt to that thin amount of oxygen, and then come down somewhere closer to sea level and you'll fly. Elite marathon and cyclist train at that elevation. Too bad they get blammed for using EPO. I'd love to train at that elevation.

Back