Is Tom Brady the greatest NFL Player?

Is Tom Brady the greatest NFL Player?

• Total voters
He's unrankable as a player and QB. Probably not a top 40 QB. He ruined the QB position by having success in a system that uses check downs and illegal pick plays that left wide open dink and dunks 80% of the time. People also seem to forget his entire defensive squad getting busted for roids in the early 2000s as well as spygate being a major factor in the success of most of his career. A lot easier to win when you've stolen the opponent's play sheets for the game from inside their hotels and locker rooms, then tamper with opponent head sets on crucial 3rd downs during home games so the opponent can't properly call a play.

Unrankable, and has the biggest asterisk next to his name than any QB probably ever will have. There is no player in the history of any sport who is more overrated.

Even for Sports Bar you are trying way too hard to be edgy.

I don't know about overall since football is the ultimate team sport but he's certainly the GOAT at the most important position.
It's hard to ignore the dominance of Jerry Rice though. The difference in passing yards is only 9.9% between #1 (Brady) and #2 (Brees) while the difference in receiving yards between #1 (Rice) and #2 (Fitzgerald) is 23.6%.

The difference in passing yards is only 9.9% between #1 (Brady) and #2 (Brees) while the difference in receiving yards between #1 (Rice) and #2 (Fitzgerald) is 23.6%.
mark-cuban-shark-tank.gif

Yes, because of the way football gives outsized importance to the quarterback position compared to others. He's a great player.

But Jerry Rice is the best player to play a premium position. He's about 50% better than #2 receiver all-time. Even in today's NFL which is wayyyyy more pass happy than in Rice's era, it is very unlikely we see his total yards or total touchdowns record broken in our lifetime.

Ran out of biscuits so we had cornbread muffins and bacon. They aren't a fan of eggs yet

Only thing that could've made that better is some sausage gravy on it lol.

I don't know about overall since football is the ultimate team sport but he's certainly the GOAT at the most important position.
It's hard to ignore the dominance of Jerry Rice though. The difference in passing yards is only 9.9% between #1 (Brady) and #2 (Brees) while the difference in receiving yards between #1 (Rice) and #2 (Fitzgerald) is 23.6%.
So the ultimate retroactively deduced (i.e. not predictive) metric of performance pertaining to wins is Win Shares. This is calculated in numerous different ways. In baseball, there is WAR. In basketball, there is Win Shares itself, or more individually focused with less weight on team wins, also Real Plus-Minus. For the NFL, the the best version of this right now is Approximate Value. Football is dominated by a single position more than any other team sport, the Quarterback position, so it shouldn't be surprising they make up the lion's share of those at the top of this metric. It's an outcome that validates the metric.

So let's look at the Top 15 Career Approximate Value NFL players of all time.

15 Ben Roethlisberger 208
14 Matt Ryan 210
13 Bruce Matthews+ 215
12 Dan Marino+ 216
11 Philip Rivers 218
10 Ray Lewis+ 224
9 Bruce Smith+ 229
7 Reggie White+ 231
7 Aaron Rodgers 231
6 Fran Tarkenton+ 233
5 Jerry Rice+ 251
4 Brett Favre+ 259
3 Peyton Manning+ 271
2 Drew Brees 277
1 Tom Brady 326

The distance between #1 Brady and #2 Brees is greater than the distance between #2 Brees and #9 Bruce Smith. Hell, it's more than double the difference between Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan. It's like the difference between Big Ben and Matt Stafford.

Noice! Good call. The boys won't eat it though. They are at that age. But love me some sausage gravy. Never tried to make it tho

I used to date this southern chick that made it from scratch, man...that shit was excellent.

Last edited:
Jerry Rice and Walter Payton are the best I’ve ever seen.. Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White and Bruce Smith are in that conversation too.

Brady is the greatest QB of all time but not the best football player of all time imo.. it’s a weird distinction, but to me QB is a class of its own in sports. There’s just no position really like it so I judge it a bit differently.

Back