Is this wrong to do?

It happens. Don't worry about it. At least you didn't hurt him. If he comes back just act like everything is cool. If he asks you to roll or if you get matched up with him say, "I hope this doesn't end up like last time." Humor, humility, and patience are your friends.

Yep very true bro!

i kneebared my friend Pablo after letting him punch me in the face repeatadly, im 14, i dont go to gyms at all but im like fedor on the ground man

three words on a noob spaz... KNEE ON BELLY.

I did this to him once while we were rolling,I eased up though cause I though he was about to shit himself from straining to try and buck me off of him lol!

So you fed him humble pie and he didnt like it?

I eat mine A la Mode.

Your coach told you to go easy and not try to submit him. To me that doesn't mean lock in subs but don't crank them. To me it means don't go for subs at all, just go through a few positions with the guy and make him work.

And for the love of god Calogero, STFU.

Normally I am very good with white belts, I just let them pass my guard and practically do anything they want. Just when they are going to put on a submission I just escape it. Along the way I give them advice (how to transition to different positions etc), mainly to be nice and also conserve some energy for a more difficult sparring partner. Although this has bitten me back in the arse when I grossly underestimated the white belt and they turn out to be more of a challenge.

We were doing position sparring from the turtle and the white belt kept complaining because of the smallest things. I didn't even sink a submission and he would tap and was all pissed off because of it.

Luckily we don't have many spazes in Korea. Most people that enter the gym are very respectfull and very nice. If anyone goes a little harder than normal, its never out of malice or an ego thing.

Your coach told you to go easy and not try to submit him. To me that doesn't mean lock in subs but don't crank them. To me it means don't go for subs at all, just go through a few positions with the guy and make him work.

And for the love of god Calogero, STFU.

Yeah true he did but I wasn't trying to,but hey pussing out and tapping like that is kinda lousy dont ya think?

Normally I am very good with white belts, I just let them pass my guard and practically do anything they want. Just when they are going to put on a submission I just escape it. Along the way I give them advice (how to transition to different positions etc), mainly to be nice and also conserve some energy for a more difficult sparring partner. Although this has bitten me back in the arse when I grossly underestimated the white belt and they turn out to be more of a challenge.

We were doing position sparring from the turtle and the white belt kept complaining because of the smallest things. I didn't even sink a submission and he would tap and was all pissed off because of it.

Luckily we don't have many spazes in Korea. Most people that enter the gym are very respectfull and very nice. If anyone goes a little harder than normal, its never out of malice or an ego thing.

Yeah thats what I was doing,Im sure they are more respectful in Korea!

ok adam bunker we all have been in that situation of dealing with newbs and the consensus is roll with them emphasize tehcnique and if they begin to spaz then out position the crap outta them until they gas, seemed like he was a punk but still man if u are the grappler u say u are there is no need to get all worked up about it. to me u seem like the cocky guy who takes pleasure in tapping new guys and spazzez but maybe im wrong.

ok adam bunker we all have been in that situation of dealing with newbs and the consensus is roll with them emphasize tehcnique and if they begin to spaz then out position the crap outta them until they gas, seemed like he was a punk but still man if u are the grappler u say u are there is no need to get all worked up about it. to me u seem like the cocky guy who takes pleasure in tapping new guys and spazzez but maybe im wrong.

No I dont so much get pleasure out of tapping newds I enjoy tapping assholes and humbling them!

I gotta echo Hammer time, Adam, it does sorta sound like you could have controlled the situation better. With newbies you gotta bite the frustration in the butt before it festers. As soon as you see him getting ticked off, you stop, tell him to just calm down, take a deep breath, and just learn. Don't sub him multiple times, watch him get mad, then sub him some more, watch him get mad, then do it again and wonder why there's a temper tantrum. Also, I don't think having a TKD black belt was the problem here - if he really had 4-6 months of BJJ, the humble pie should have been stuffed down his throat plenty of times by now. More likely he's getting frustrated at his jiujitsu (I hope). I'm not advocating spoon feeding or half assing his training, but if you've gotten to the "I gotta teach him a lesson" phase, part of that is probably on you too.

I disagree slightly with Yojimbo on not doing subs at all - sometimes I put newbies in subs and don't crank - just stopping after the setup - so that they can practice getting out of them. If the person is brand new, then yeah there's no point, don't put them in subs. But Adam said this guy had 4-6 months experience, so I'm guessing a guy with almost a half year maybe knows 1 way to get out of an arm bar or something. I'd never crank it for dear life, but just slap it on, see if he escapes, if he doesn't, then let go and move on to something else.

I gotta echo Hammer time, Adam, it does sorta sound like you could have controlled the situation better. With newbies you gotta bite the frustration in the butt before it festers. As soon as you see him getting ticked off, you stop, tell him to just calm down, take a deep breath, and just learn. Don't sub him multiple times, watch him get mad, then sub him some more, watch him get mad, then do it again and wonder why there's a temper tantrum. Also, I don't think having a TKD black belt was the problem here - if he really had 4-6 months of BJJ, the humble pie should have been stuffed down his throat plenty of times by now. More likely he's getting frustrated at his jiujitsu (I hope). I'm not advocating spoon feeding or half assing his training, but if you've gotten to the "I gotta teach him a lesson" phase, part of that is probably on you too.

I disagree slightly with Yojimbo on not doing subs at all - sometimes I put newbies in subs and don't crank - just stopping after the setup - so that they can practice getting out of them. If the person is brand new, then yeah there's no point, don't put them in subs. But Adam said this guy had 4-6 months experience, so I'm guessing a guy with almost a half year maybe knows 1 way to get out of an arm bar or something. I'd never crank it for dear life, but just slap it on, see if he escapes, if he doesn't, then let go and move on to something else.

Yeah true very good post thanks!

Back