Is this true what the guy at gym told me about my Squat form ??

LCDforMe said:
I'd fall over if I tried to stay exactly shoulder width apart and keep toes straight forward. I tend to have them out and wider, I just couldn't balance the way he is talking...

It depends on your build and flexibility.
My ATTG O-squat is very narrow, feet pointing straight, and I can still keep my back straight.
My training partner prefers wider than shulders,(feet maybe 20 degr) but still narrow enough to allow him to go ATTG.

I work out with a nation body building champ and he has me squat with feet in normal standing position and toes pointed out. We squat all the way down, no bouce at all the come up out of the whole. My hips hurt a little bit but he says that is normal till I get used to it. Over the past 6 weeks I have seen my legs get bigger and strength go up almost 100 lbs. the way we do them it almost feels like front squats.

That Rick Walker article was a plodding contradiction. Him and one of the lifters pictured held their feet at a 45 degree angle outward; if that's not a open stance, what is? Is there an epidemic in the YMCA's across the nation of men squatting in the horse stance and I've been oblivious to it all these years?

Second, he instructs you to drive your knees out, and exert the force along that drive, to the outer soles of your feet. But he says he does this in Chuck Taylors, the most atrocious shoe for ankle support ever made; those things are nothing but a patch of cloth stitched to a slab of leather. The fact he hasn't turned himself out or blown an ankle is a mystery to me.

What's a mystery to me is who are these Flamingo Ankled people who need "ankle support" to squat?

No offense man, but seriously. I mean, the first time somebody brought that up, I was like "what the hell are you talking about? Get some ankles that work you fuck".

I've worn CT's to squat for years now, I'm squatted 700 raw in them, I've slipped while I was in the warm-up room with 550 on my back in them, etc. and never had any kind of problems.

Madmick said:
That Rick Walker article was a plodding contradiction. Him and one of the lifters pictured held their feet at a 45 degree angle outward; if that's not a open stance, what is? Is there an epidemic in the YMCA's across the nation of men squatting in the horse stance and I've been oblivious to it all these years?

Second, he instructs you to drive your knees out, and exert the force along that drive, to the outer soles of your feet. But he says he does this in Chuck Taylors, the most atrocious shoe for ankle support ever made; those things are nothing but a patch of cloth stitched to a slab of leather. The fact he hasn't turned himself out or blown an ankle is a mystery to me.

i have strong ankles, i played basketball in low tops and never had a problem. You are standing on flat ground hopefully, so why do your ankles need support in that way, most likely you won't land on someones foot.

I personally like to go a little wider than shoulder width and point my toes a little outward. This allows me to go as deep as i possibly can while maintaing good form and strong lifts...

CarnalSalvation said:
What's a mystery to me is who are these Flamingo Ankled people who need "ankle support" to squat?

No offense man, but seriously. I mean, the first time somebody brought that up, I was like "what the hell are you talking about? Get some ankles that work you fuck".

I've worn CT's to squat for years now, I'm squatted 700 raw in them, I've slipped while I was in the warm-up room with 550 on my back in them, etc. and never had any kind of problems.

It was the combination of wearing the CT's and driving his weight outward (in that ultra-wide stance where he's telling you to turn your feet forward) that concerned me. I've never had a problem with my ankles, but I wear decent cross-trainers (New Balance 851's) while I lift.

I get where you're coming from, but personally, I don't think it's safe to WALK in Chuck Taylor's. You catch something on the inside of your instep, and BANG! There goes your ankle for a fortnight.

I can't believe you played basketball in lowtops, Fedorable. Consider yourself one of the lucky few who didn't need ankle surgery because of it. I sprained my ankle twice in mid-tops, and once in high-tops, and the time in high-tops I was barely out a week. One of the mid-top sprains was severe, and I was out 8 weeks (fortunately, none of these sprains took place until after my high school career ended...I had been injury free my entire playing lift up until that point). I don't like high-tops now, because they're too clunky, and I feel like the chances of turning my ankle in them is increased. Some friends of mine turned me onto Kicksology and Kicksguide and now I research my shoes before buying. The Air Max Finishers are outstanding for saving your ankles when you think a sprain is already inevitable and in the making.

rickdog said:
Redneck, that statement makes you one of the newest certified morons on this site. Gongratulations!!!
Hey, go eat a flaming pile of shit, dumbfuck. I don't talk to little dick pussies like you.

Madmick said:
It was the combination of wearing the CT's and driving his weight outward (in that ultra-wide stance where he's telling you to turn your feet forward) that concerned me. I've never had a problem with my ankles, but I wear decent cross-trainers (New Balance 851's) while I lift.

I get where you're coming from, but personally, I don't think it's safe to WALK in Chuck Taylor's. You catch something on the inside of your instep, and BANG! There goes your ankle for a fortnight.

I can't believe you played basketball in lowtops, Fedorable. Consider yourself one of the lucky few who didn't need ankle surgery because of it. I sprained my ankle twice in mid-tops, and once in high-tops, and the time in high-tops I was barely out a week. One of the mid-top sprains was severe, and I was out 8 weeks (fortunately, none of these sprains took place until after my high school career ended...I had been injury free my entire playing lift up until that point). I don't like high-tops now, because they're too clunky, and I feel like the chances of turning my ankle in them is increased. Some friends of mine turned me onto Kicksology and Kicksguide and now I research my shoes before buying. The Air Max Finishers are outstanding for saving your ankles when you think a sprain is already inevitable and in the making.
I don't know.

I lift with new balance shoes and the arch doesnt allow me to put pressure on my heels properly.

CrazyAZNRedneck said:
Hey, go eat a flaming pile of shit, dumbfuck. I don't talk to little dick pussies like you.

a beautiful asttempt at redeeming yourself.

We all have different body structures. Do the stance in which you can go as deep as you could and not compromise your form. Same thing that there are conventional and sumo deadlifters.

Dude, your fine, Usually advice given to you buy the people in the gym is always bad advice.

Rahul said:
also is it alright to have my feet pointing outwards or should they be facing exactly straight forward.... he said they should be pointing straight forward.

Maybe if this was the 80's, you were a chick in pink spandex with wrist, ankle and head warmers, and you were on a smith machine.

Back