Is this true what the guy at gym told me about my Squat form ??

I am 6' and the box height I like best is 12", which puts me pretty low.

I fully support box squats as a method of improving explosiveness out of the whole, learning good powersquat form, and mixing things up.

Now here is the only thing I'd caution you about. When you do switch back to free squats, it's going to take a little bit of time for your new strength to "show".

At least for me, whenever I switch from a heavy variant like box squats or rack pulls to the main lift, it takes a few weeks for the improved strength to be properly demonstrated. I think it probably has something to do with neural adaptation, but I'm not sure.

How would a max on box squats compare to a max o[n a back squat? I am asking because i only do box squats and im curious as to how it would translate into a max back squat.

True2KungFu said:
How would a max on box squats compare to a max o[n a back squat? I am asking because i only do box squats and im curious as to how it would translate into a max back squat.

box squats are almost the same thing as back, the only difference is it kind of takes away your momentum if you sit on a box, therefore making it harder. i think it would translate very well

I think he was asking more like, if my box squat is X, what is my normal squat roughly?

There is no set differential. My low box squat is often quite a bit lower than a barely legal power squat though.

CarnalSalvation said:
I am 6' and the box height I like best is 12", which puts me pretty low.

yea that's similar to mine. It's not ass to the grass, but my thighs and calves touch so I guess it's a good thing.

Put your hand on your hip. Point your toes out like you're doing. Now make your feet parallel. Feel your hip moving? When it's pointed out, it's not part of the exercise. All you're doing is compensating for weak hips by focusing it on your quads. Not to mention that there is a risk of injury.

What are you talking about?

Not pointing the feet out with the thighs will only hurt the damn knees not prevent injury since the knees are twisted and not moving uniformly dude.

Get into a horse stance right now and point the feet forward. And try to squat.

The most you can do is a half-assed quarter squat and your knees hurting.

and your damn glute muscles arent anywhere near the damn calves and the movements are completely separated from each other.

Long as you squat deep or all the way, you'll be using your glutes.

ThaiJJJ, I am a wide stance squatter, competitive powerlifter, and 700lb raw squatter.

My hips are like steel cables and I have hardly any quads. In fact my hips are a huge part of my squats, and I always squat with my toes pointed out.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/cleaningupthesquat.pdf

Go to page 10.

Ted-P, I squat with my feet parallel. If that's what happens when you squat, you may have poor calf, quad, or hip flexibility.

Pointing the toes out a LITTLE bit is not bad, but like I said, you can easily tell by placing your hand on your hip and adjusting your feet whether your hips are in the movement or not.

I'm not a lone ranger preaching this. It's very common knowledge.

Your feet should be pointing as the same direction your thighs or else your knees are gonna be fucked up.

And about that article, it's all good, but i think you took the instructions too literally. All the pictures have the feet pointing toward where the thighs are facing.

Ted-P said:
Your feet should be pointing as the same direction your thighs or else your knees are gonna be fucked up.

And about that article, it's all good, but i think you took the instructions too literally. All the pictures have the feet pointing toward where the thighs are facing.

I concur, I would consider all of their feet pointed outward.

i used to squat with my toes pointing forward (cause it seemed like perfect {read:neat} form) i tore my meniscus doing such, as for the width issue proper form is wider than shoulder width, closer than that will put the focus more on the glutes and hams and less on the quads which is the focus of squats (do DLs for those) and will kill your balance as well.

Shoulder Width is actually where your legs are supposed to be, the squats hit the full thigh that way, as opposed to just the otter quad. However, if he's not going down to parrellel (or actually to where your body starts making your back round out--for me that's parrellel), then he pretty much just discredited himself as a source.

ahhhhhhhh, you dirty yellowneck, you reveal your ignorance despite your arrogance yet again, the quads should have almost nothing to do with a properly performed squat.

Redneck, that statement makes you one of the newest certified morons on this site. Gongratulations!!!

CarnalSalvation said:
Now here is the only thing I'd caution you about. When you do switch back to free squats, it's going to take a little bit of time for your new strength to "show".

At least for me, whenever I switch from a heavy variant like box squats or rack pulls to the main lift, it takes a few weeks for the improved strength to be properly demonstrated. I think it probably has something to do with neural adaptation, but I'm not sure.
well obviously. It takes a few weeks to make gains out of the box squat.

It's not like you just train box squats the whole time and switch back to normal squats. Or is it?

When you say
At least for me, whenever I switch from a heavy variant like box squats or rack pulls to the main lift,
You mean you do box squats one week and switch back to the normal lift right?

basicly I do regular squats until I plateau, then switch to box squats until I hit a big PR off my 12" box (I start at 14" and work down) and then switch back. No set time periods.

CarnalSalvation said:
ahhhhhhhh, you dirty yellowneck, you reveal your ignorance despite your arrogance yet again, the quads should have almost nothing to do with a properly performed squat.

Let us not mix apples and oranges here...
That is generally correct if you are refering to a wide stance power squat, but quads take lot of load in olympic hi-bar squats, especially in the 2nd half of the ascent.

Also, there is very little to none frontal movement of the knees in the power squat, but in o-sq the knees move infront some, and because of that the quads work alot.

Back