1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

is this too much

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by SwiftMcvay, Oct 28, 2005.

1. SwiftMcvay

SwiftMcvay Brown Belt

I"ve been taking BJJ for about 6 months now, and I am going to start training at a boxing gym. My original plan was to quit BJJ and just do the boxing because of the price, but the place i found cost 20 bucks to sign up, and no monthly fee. It is open from Monday through Thurdsay. The coach said that I might be able to compete in a fort worth golden gloves competition in a few months, but I want to keep taking the BJJ because I have plans of competing in MMA in the future.

This is how my schedule would look.

Monday: boxing
    Tuesday: MMA (takedowns and boxing)
    Wednesday: boxing
    Thursday: boxing
    Friday: off
    Saturday: 11:00 Am- Kickboxing 12:00 pm- MMA
    Sunday: BJJ.

I could have Friday off, but my friend has a heavy bag, so I would still be able to work the bag on the days that I don't have boxing, and our kickboxing instructor shows up on saturdays at my BJJ gym (we rarely ever actually do kicks) Since I want to compete, if it is possible, should I drop the MMA/BJJ for now, or should i stick with it and do it on my off days since I can't go to the gym anyway, and just work the heavybag at my friends house. Any help is appreciated, and sorry if the post is confusing.

2. Orsyn

Orsyn Asian Connoisseur

Honestly, it all depends on you. When I was going through instructor training, I trained 6 days a week at the school, and then on Sunday I would work out with another trainee and would do a light 2 mile run. I found myself buring out after 6 months though. It depends on you, just make sure you are eating right, hydrating and sleeping enough.

3. Michael Wanaka

Michael Wanaka Amateur Fighter

If you get enough sleep and eat well you should be ok. Sleep is the biggest factor in determining whether you will overtrain or not.

4. DKM76

DKM76 Guest

so is getting bored

5. Brandinho

Brandinho Guest

Nah, that sounds like my workouts a few months ago until the bi-yearly schedule change. It depends on you staying focused and listening to your body. Rest if you get hurt. Eat right and get plenty of sleep. And don't underestimate water comsumption. If you can do it without getting burned out then go for it.

6. Hamit Aktas

Hamit Aktas Amateur Fighter

No it's not. Not for me anyways. I used to train BJJ/Vale Tudo/Submission Wrestling 6 days a week.
    But people are different. It might be too much for some. Try it out and you'll know if it's too much or not. ;)

7. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

Stick with it if you can, but as everyone has been saying, it is up to you. Give it a try and see what works best.

8. ThaiBoxer80

ThaiBoxer80 Orange Belt

I used to train 5-6 times a week in Thai boxing and lift weights 4 times a week. I thought I would eventually burn out but I never did. I think everyone should learn their own limits, everyones different. However, there is a fine line between maximizing your training and over training. Just be smart about it, listen to your body and trainers. By the way what boxing gym do you go to?

9. KillaKix

KillaKix Brown Belt

Standing by a brick wall, with a can of spray pain
    theres nothing wrong with that schedule...

mine is

monday - JJ
    tuesday - kickboxing
    wed. - jj
    thurs - kickboxing
    fri.-off
    sat- jj - pure rolling
    sun - off

10. Eternalchild

Eternalchild White Belt

Try taking a week off every 2 months or so to allow minor injuries to recover before they become big ones.

11. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

i say go for it. you might get a little battered at first, but it's nothing you can't get used to.

12. Jeremy Henderson

Jeremy Henderson Amateur Fighter

Are you from Abilene bro?? Because there is a place called Old School Boxing that is only $20 a month?? If so who are you?

13. SwiftMcvay

SwiftMcvay Brown Belt

I've had a lot of school work so I haven't actualy started training at a boxing gym yet. I start tomorrow at the Diamond Hill boxing club in fort worth. Its basically free, and they have all the basic equipment, and I saw some people working the mits/bag and they had pretty good hands.