Is this the worst era for Boxing?

It's not dead, It's just irrelevant.

The biggest star in boxing is a YouTuber with less then ten fights. The sport is a joke but diehards will hold on to it and try to keep it alive.

You really think Jake is making Canelo money? Lmao. It's just a phase every combat sport, and even music goes through. Dumb shit will always generate buzz

It just happens it every sport, mate. Look at Cesar Chavez. Do you know how many taxi drivers and banana salesman he had to beat to get that record? And with boxing, the way the contracts work is just very different. What boxing does thats great and bad, is they out these young guys on salaries. So not only do they get paid by fight( big or small) the promising ones get a monthly wage as well. And what happens is the promotion is putting money into these young kids, and want to protect their investment until they're ready. Then fighters get a say so in the contract with things, and that happens when the promotion is making shit ton of money from many different avenues.

There is good and bad for it all. The bad is for the fans because we have to sit and watch the politics, but it's also good for the fighters in the short and long term financially wise

I am all about slowly and surely building up a young fighter. Hate it when I see an MMA prospect getting destroyed by a veteran only because the timing of the match up was bad. Not 10, not 20, take 30 or 40 fights like that if you want. But when he becomes a title holder I am for changing the standard. You can't call yourself a champion and pick who you want to fight. Or have the corrupt sanctioning body pick worthless mandatories for you. They don't even win money that way, they lose more from mega fights failing and never happening time and time again.

And I know it's a problem in many sports too. In soccer for example it's the very same problem. Clubs that have invested billions can't have more than 2 matches per year with their direct rival (where multiple times more money could be generated too). That's why it's been some years this talk of a super leauge has been going around.

It's not dead, It's just irrelevant.

The biggest star in boxing is a YouTuber with less then ten fights. The sport is a joke but diehards will hold on to it and try to keep it alive.
Canelo would like a word.

thats my generation lol
yeah im really interested in watching that fight. they have been holding on their 0s way too long imo.
atleast it will be a lot more exciting than fury vs wilder 3
Both guys are only 22.

Boxing maybe not be dead, but it has transformed into a circus show. Where virtually anyone can make huge money boxing. They only have to be famous.

When a youtuber is making more money than 95% of legit boxers, that's pretty bad. In fact humiliating. Boxing is a joke compared to what it was back it's heyday.

I use to be a huge boxing fanatic, but now it's just a big joke. All you get is the odd great match up fight, it's very few and far between.

Now imagine if Mayweather loses to that Youtuber, how pathetic would that be?

But that development has not really anything to do with boxing but a change in society. Its more and more just about being visible to get opportunities and make money. IG /Twitter etc are not about quality or being competent at anything but self obsession. Its sad but its how it develops in western countries right now. Boxing is only choosen because it still has the most pull. Otherwise Paul would have done an MMA or MT etc fight against some bums.

In a way it even shows that boxing is still on top.

Regarding talent imo boxing is even kind of rekindled flame with talent. Would not have thought that possible but Loma, Cruiserweight with Gassiev, Usyk..etc until they departed, Canelo, Spence and even at HW a Tyson Fury that moved and fought like he could have been competitive against the best out there. And thats just the most famous, there is a lot of talent growing up.

We just need to ignore the circus bum fights like Askren - Paul. The people in general get dumber and easier to manipulate and so these "fights" get a huge audience, thats something we just have to accept.

There are tons of elite talents in boxing right now.

If you are too blind to see that social media reaches an absurd amount of people that is your fault, but it has zero to do with the state of actual boxing. If you think it is indicative of literally anything, explain to me why “the worst era of HWs” were just going to make a $155m fight?

I’ve seen your boxing takes and I usually agree. In this case, where I see TS has a valid point is when you look at the 135, 147 and 160 divisions respectively. All those fighters are ducking each other. I may very well be wrong and not remember the past eras well, but I don’t recall a time in which the top of multiple divisions were refusing to fight each other. It might not be the fault of the fighters and rather the fault of the promoters or the multiple belts. Nonetheless, it’s still the state of boxing as an institution. Imagine Trinidad and De La Hoya not fighting? That would’ve been criminal back then, but it’s accepted now.

add ryan garcia vs devin haney to that list

No López/Haney/Davis/Garcia or Charlo/Benavidez/Andrade. It’s really a problem. Not sure how anyone can say this is not the worst era for boxing as a whole.

There are tons of elite talents in boxing right now.

If you are too blind to see that social media reaches an absurd amount of people that is your fault, but it has zero to do with the state of actual boxing. If you think it is indicative of literally anything, explain to me why “the worst era of HWs” were just going to make a $155m fight?

You really think purse's directly relate with skill?

Not only is talent mediocre these days but there are no real cross over stars. The top HW's barely fight, the biggest star is a mexican that never speaks english and in general the best fighters just duck each other, including the alleged p4p crawford whos never fought anyone. I don't follow it that closely but from the divisions I have seen, namely HW, Super Middle weight and jnr welterweight, totally pale in comparison to the previous era's. . TV broadcasts suck also. Gone from the golden era of HBO to bush league Dazn and showtime all the commentary is awful which takes away from the experience.

Biev vs Gvozdyk was an awesome fight but like Ramirez vs Taylor it lacked attention, the fights are there, I feel people that complain about boxing’s state aren’t catching up with the times.

Right, and how many people do you think have ever heard of them? Only die hard fans. That's the problem.

I dont know if its the worst but even if it is theres still plenty to like. Canelo is a monster, super fly is awesome, the HW division is fun, theres Inoue, Spence, Crawford, Usyk, Beterbiev, Tank, the young guns at LW etc

The klitchko HW era was the worst time in boxing.

I like the era, plenty of fights and fighters i´m looking forward to see. Of course certain fights falling apart that i was eager to witness is a shame, but i´m sure eventually we will even get to see those.

I like the era, plenty of fights and fighters i´m looking forward to see. Of course certain fights falling apart that i was eager to witness is a shame, but i´m sure eventually we will even get to see those.

I hope we do see these fights eventually. What makes it the worst era for me is the growing list of top fighters not fighting each other. It wasn’t like this before. And it seems to be mostly American fighters who are refusing to make fights these days.

Back