Is this the worst era for Boxing?

Ezekiel 25:17

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I mean, say what you will about guys like Alvarez, Spence, Lomachenko, Fury, Crawford.... That Rush we used to get back in the day is all but gone. Even skill wise...an old Floyd was still the most technically proficient fighter up until he retired and he started back in 96.

I mean even while Floyd was in his early days, there were a slew of guys battling for P4P supremacy and Box office glory.

Judging however possible still sucks.

Too many stupid associations/too many Champs per weight class.

Money seems to have almost diluted the sport and it now seems like a farce of what it once was.

I mean, a youtuber is getting more attention then legit Champs.

Boxing is dead, episode 274.

Boxing maybe not be dead, but it has transformed into a circus show. Where virtually anyone can make huge money boxing. They only have to be famous.

When a youtuber is making more money than 95% of legit boxers, that's pretty bad. In fact humiliating. Boxing is a joke compared to what it was back it's heyday.

I use to be a huge boxing fanatic, but now it's just a big joke. All you get is the odd great match up fight, it's very few and far between.

Now imagine if Mayweather loses to that Youtuber, how pathetic would that be?

There are tons of elite talents in boxing right now.

If you are too blind to see that social media reaches an absurd amount of people that is your fault, but it has zero to do with the state of actual boxing. If you think it is indicative of literally anything, explain to me why “the worst era of HWs” were just going to make a $155m fight?

worst welterweight era for sure, can’t wait for it to be over

Boxing maybe not be dead, but it has transformed into a circus show. Where virtually anyone can make huge money boxing. They only have to be famous.

When a youtuber is making more money than 95% of legit boxers, that's pretty bad. In fact humiliating. Boxing is a joke compared to what it was back it's heyday.

I use to be a huge boxing fanatic, but now it's just a big joke. All you get is the odd great match up fight, it's very few and far between.

Now imagine if Mayweather loses to that Youtuber, how pathetic would that be?

Mayweather vs Paul is hardly boxing anyway. More of a celebrity boxing bout. Whatever it is the outcome won’t be relevant to the topic.

The sport’s shortcomings are many, still it has overcome multiple deaths since the 1930s and it draws some significant attention worldwide when it cares to do so.

You may call it a joke as much as you like. As I am actually interested in the sport of boxing, I’ll enjoy this week-end’s undisputed title bout between undefeated talents Josh Taylor and José Ramirez. It is very likely to deliver, as quite a few headliners already did this year - Gonzalez-Estrada, Smith-Vlasov, Nery-Figueroa, Alvarez-Saunders, Ortiz-Hooker, Berchelt-Valdez, etc. For a dying sport it is holding its own.

Last edited:
It does suck that we’re not getting Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua or Errol Spence vs Terrance Crawford anytime soon. Two of the best fights the sport has to offer.

It'll never return to its Zenith , but it will still be good business and the really talented and charismatic talents can Captivate the masses.

There are tons of elite talents in boxing right now.

If you are too blind to see that social media reaches an absurd amount of people that is your fault, but it has zero to do with the state of actual boxing. If you think it is indicative of literally anything, explain to me why “the worst era of HWs” were just going to make a $155m fight?

I'm not talking about money.... Everyone is making money. Youtubers and athletes from other sports are making money boxing. It's losing out in ratings to other sports all the time. The appeal, particularly in most of the North American market has faded.

I'm talking about the mystical aura that once engulfed boxing and made everyone and their mama talk about it. I never hear casuals sitting around talking about how canelo beat saunders or the drama ensuing at HW right now.

Sanctioning bodies, ranking systems that don't even apply and promoters simply looking for paydays over legacy securing fights are what's fucking it imo. Im personally also not a fan of the new dazn presentation. I actually miss the look and feel of the old HBO fights.

I'm not talking about money.... Everyone is making money. Youtubers and athletes from other sports are making money boxing. It's losing out in ratings to other sports all the time. The appeal, particularly in most of the North American market has faded.

I'm talking about the mystical aura that once engulfed boxing and made everyone and their mama talk about it. I never hear casuals sitting around talking about how canelo beat saunders or the drama ensuing at HW right now.

Sanctioning bodies, ranking systems that don't even apply and promoters simply looking for paydays over legacy securing fights are what's fucking it imo. Im personally also not a fan of the new dazn presentation. I actually miss the look and feel of the old HBO fights.
This is legit nonsense. Canelo’s fight was the biggest sporting event of the year and casuals were all over it.

Boxing supposedly is always dying yet they keep selling fights and keep making hilariously more money than any other combat sport.

Some people think only because boxers are making millions of dollars that the sport is doing fine. But it's not. The bussiness of boxing is doing fine. The sport is not. Tell me if the best fights in each division are made? They're not. And when they happen the 'hardcore' fans are pissed because one of the fighters at least is out of their prime. I don't give a shit if Wilder vs Joshua happens after three years. I wanted it two years ago. I don't care about Briedis vs Okolie or Bivol vs Beterbiev being made two years later when one side of the equation is off their prime. And I'm giving you three fights only in the heaviest weight classes. It's the same story almost in all divisions. And I don't care if they make millions, billions or trillions, as if those money are not ending in my pocket anyway. The fights we want we're not getting them. And it's been a while.

Spence vs Crawford not being made comes to mind when I hear that “boxing is doing bad” other than that fight there are plenty of good fights scheduled, as for the business aspect the numbers are good, hard to say this is the worst era in boxing, you also have espn, dazn, showtime and ppv’s here and there, Ramirez vs Taylor, Charlo vs Castano are great fights Canelo vs Plant and Benavidez is going to be big

Biev vs Gvozdyk was an awesome fight but like Ramirez vs Taylor it lacked attention, the fights are there, I feel people that complain about boxing’s state aren’t catching up with the times.

Yet when mma does this, it's never talked about, unless you fought in pride. No one likes to bring up the huge can crushing khabib did to get his way to the ufc. Or how chuck liddell famous title run was nothing but knockouts over grappler who had no striking( not saying he didn't beat strikers)

Every boxing fan knows boxing is a joke now. They really just put Spence vs OLD MAN PACMAN instead of Crawford.... Lol!!!!

Yet when mma does this, it's never talked about, unless you fought in pride. No one likes to bring up the huge can crushing khabib did to get his way to the ufc. Or how chuck liddell famous title run was nothing but knockouts over grappler who had no striking( not saying he didn't beat strikers)

But I don't get why is this an MMA vs Boxing thing. MMA has tons of problems but lack of competitive fights between their top guys on regular basis isn't one. They have a very shallow talent pool so there's only as much as you can do. They even have a hard time finding cans for building a record LOL

I am a thousand times more a boxing fan than an MMA fan but I am not here to defend what is wrong with our sport. It's lack of quality matchmaking at the highest level. And it's been a problem for 30 plus years now. Doesn't mean we don't get great classic fights every year. Because we do. The thing is we SHOULD demand more, much more, because the potential is there and is not being used because of politics.

It's not dead, It's just irrelevant.

The biggest star in boxing is a YouTuber with less then ten fights. The sport is a joke but diehards will hold on to it and try to keep it alive.

But I don't get why is this an MMA vs Boxing thing. MMA has tons of problems but lack of competitive fights between their top guys on regular basis isn't one. They have a very shallow talent pool so there's only as much as you can do. They even have a hard time finding cans for building a record LOL

I am a thousand times more a boxing fan than an MMA fan but I am not here to defend what is wrong with our sport. It's lack of quality matchmaking at the highest level. And it's been a problem for 30 plus years now. Doesn't mean we don't get great classic fights every year. Because we do. The thing is we SHOULD demand more, much more, because the potential is there and is not being used because of politics.

It just happens it every sport, mate. Look at Cesar Chavez. Do you know how many taxi drivers and banana salesman he had to beat to get that record? And with boxing, the way the contracts work is just very different. What boxing does thats great and bad, is they out these young guys on salaries. So not only do they get paid by fight( big or small) the promising ones get a monthly wage as well. And what happens is the promotion is putting money into these young kids, and want to protect their investment until they're ready. Then fighters get a say so in the contract with things, and that happens when the promotion is making shit ton of money from many different avenues.

There is good and bad for it all. The bad is for the fans because we have to sit and watch the politics, but it's also good for the fighters in the short and long term financially wise

Back