1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
  2. Hey Guest, The Non Gif Shoop Contest Round 1 is now active, so cast your votes! Non Gif Shoop Contest Round 1 »

Is this the end of the big fight camps?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Bangkok ready d1, May 6, 2021.

1. Bangkok ready d1 Brown Belt

I've just realized there are no current ufc champions coming from those gigantic camps outside of Amanda nunes, most champs today are from small or medium size gyms, elevation fight team might be the biggest of them but im not sure. Is this the end of massive camps or just a new trend?

2. Buffmeister If u aint smokey it aint your m'fkin message

I didnt like the huge Camps back then like Jacksons...where everybody was it seemed.

Having more smaller Camps coming up is always welcome...
    But there are also some Camps out there who are gone after their most succesfull guy was done or left...
    So how good are the smaller Camps really are?

3. dildos Steel Belt

I thought this was going to be about the length of training camps fighters will be having.

Andrey Kamensky and Redfish like this.
  4. Kumason MMA freak!

Just many more fighters these days so there are great fighters everywhere and people don't need to all flock to the few big camps. Doesn't mean the camps are any smaller, they are all bigger, just generally hold a lower % of say.. top tens or champs even. Main camps are all bigger than before. I get your point, it's just...camps like Tristar for example aren't just going away, there are just less stars atm. ATT has like a billion awesome fighters lol, it's absolutely giant. There's still gyms with multiple UFC champs.

5. KantoTerror Gold Belt

Big fight camps are aim towards mass fighter production, they're good entry for up and comers...once you reach elite level, it's better to have a much individual approach and fighters get more focused on strengths and weaknesses...big camps are not done, they still get bigger piece of the pie when it comes to clientelle...they don't just cater to fighters anymore, they also cater to civilians and celebrities...

Nabs and EVIL WAR GOD like this.
  6. arabian_matrix volk 3, 4, 5

lol honestly same here, i thought this would be regarding big fighters such as conor not having long training camps allegedly.

7. jeskola Purple Belt

The downfall of these big teams started with the Blackzillians

[​IMG]

8. Slatersan Black Belt

Who is the new av? Almost as hot as mine.

9. Doug Money Brown Belt

Looks stinky. Shit comes outta there

Slatersan likes this.
  10. dildos Steel Belt

Yeah! Hah, good bamboozle was had.

but in general it does seem to be that ufc is shortening the time between fight announcement and said fight so they are actually shortening the fighter training camps themselves. Which is great for the fans and fighters too because there is less chance for them to get injured and pull out with shorter camps.

11. The Chosen Black Belt

I think people have realized having your gym being the equivalent of McDonald’s in the MMA world isn’t good, all the best champions had specialized teams around them of close confidants.