Is this the best UFC HW Era?

mjfan23

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
You have Stipe, Bayldes, old man DC, Francis and Greg hardy today.

Previous era fighters like JDS and Cain didn’t hold up well against the test of time losing in their peaks to a one dimensional Francis, Stipe, deflated Reem etc.

The golden era of UFC HWs Mir, Timmy and AA got laid to waste by the pride imports.

The handy, Ricco, etc era was too short lived.

So in your opinion are we in the true golden era of UFC HW competition ? Or will this lot be written off in a couple of years too?

*Sarcasm detected*

He+should+charge+them+for+a+salt+_352de89016fdfc9471973b8358a215c9.png

Previous era fighters like JDS and Cain didn’t hold up well against the test of time losing in their peaks to a one dimensional Francis, Stipe, deflated Reem etc.

The golden era of UFC HWs Mir, Timmy and AA got laid to waste by the pride imports.

So in your opinion are we in the true golden era of UFC HW competition ? Or will this lot be written off in a couple of years too?
coleman/kerr/couture was an interesting time for wrestlers to rule

I think around the Ubereem/Fedor/Brock/Carwin period when JDS and Cain were coming up was the golden age.

Pretty hard to have a HW golden age with USADA.

Stipe francis dc even jds uberreem or healthy cain.... These guys beat prime fedor. The big 3 of pride... They are overrated as fuck

I am juat saying it is a better crop of fighters then pride. By far
Everyone is a better than fighters from 20 years ago. It’s not like Reem, hunt and werdum are still in the top ten.

Overall is this in your opinion the best HW era?

Everyone is a better than fighters from 20 years ago. It’s not like Reem, hunt and werdum are still in the top ten.

Overall is this in your opinion the best HW era?
Francis made jds and cain look bad but they are still great. Hwt is a little old and recycled division. It is great right now mainly at the top. Quality over quantity

The current group are the best in UFC HW history. UFC has always had a thin HW division.

Don't bring up Hardy, he is not even in this discussion by the way. Any decent fighter from any era beats him.

I'm not really sure they had a golden age per se.

At least post-Pride, it seems like it has been roughly the same year over year. Three or four guys who could reasonably hold titles. Another handful that were "good" fighters filling out the top 10. And another handful of guys beneath them to fill out cards.

I'm old enough to remember when the Cain/JDS era was going to rule forever. What a dud that was. The actual run up to them owning the division was longer than their ruling time was (especially JDS...he had a ton of good wins pre-shot).

2009 HEAVYWEIGHT Rankings

1. Brock Lesnar (UFC Heavyweight Champion)
2. Randy Couture
3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
4. Frank Mir
5. Shane Carwin
6. Cain Velasquez
7. Mirko Cro Cop
8. Junior dos Santos
9. Cheick Kongo
10. Heath Herring

Not that I think Bork is best, but HW used to be stacked all the way through.

Possibly the most imbecilic garbage I've read here today. In one post, you both dismiss Stipe and Ngannou as one dimensional, then cite them as the centerpieces of the greatest era for the division. Go to sleep. Your brain is tired from all of that failed conjecture.

I think the JDS/Cain era had a way more interesting title picture. Most of the current crop of HWs are old men, JDS and Cain were in their prime and when the strikeforce heavies came over, the UFC had virtually every top HW in the world, sans Fedor and a few others; Cain, JDS, DC (though he shortly dropped to LHW), Overeem, Werdum, Bigfoot, Mir, Hunto, Browne, Stipe on the come up, and even post illness Brock. The fact that there are still several of the aforementioned names at or near the top of HW 5+ years later is indicative of the lack of young blood.

Possibly the most imbecilic garbage I've read here today. In one post, you both dismiss Stipe and Ngannou as one dimensional, then cite them as the centerpieces of the greatest era for the division. Go to sleep. Your brain is tired from all of that failed conjecture.
You pick up certain things but miss the overall underlying theme. So thank you for your feedback. Google sarcasm and trolling. Study them for a few weeks then spend a season trying to combine them in a message.

2. Randy Couture
4. Frank Mir
5. Shane Carwin
6. Cain Velasquez
7. Mirko Cro Cop
8. Junior dos Santos
9. Cheick Kongo
10. Heath Herring

Definitely a more fun line up than what we have now. Looking back, there were a load of fun fights we could have had but didn't get.

HW isn't the shitshow we say it is, at least not to the extent we rag on it.

Technically it's the realist of all the belts(tho the 265 cap taints this distinction)

205, 185, 170, 155, 145 men and chicks, 135 men and chicks, 125 men and chicks, and 115 chicks are all fighting for consolation prizes that only exist bc of the weightclass limits.

Without regulation and sanctioning bodies, most of your roster gets turned into grease by a half blind Derrick Lewis in a fight.

The division has actual high stakes being fought for. The KO power, leverage, consequences are in no way watered down so we see 5-8 really qualified fighters stand out from the pack.

But that's not bc they're d level bums, it's bc beating 200+lb men into defeat is way way way harder than making it to the final bell as a flyweight, or as a woman or both.

Those divisions need the separation of sizes to even exist. Meanwhile at HW, we get the real deal. Werdum and Francis would maim nearly anyone on earth, pro fighter or not, size be damned.

2. Randy Couture
4. Frank Mir
5. Shane Carwin
6. Cain Velasquez
7. Mirko Cro Cop
8. Junior dos Santos
9. Cheick Kongo
10. Heath Herring

Good, but how the fuck is Mir rated over Carwin? Ran through Mir like he was a tomato can, and I have a ton of respect for Frank.

Back