Is this Thai fight staged?

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
What's up fellas/ladies. I spend 90% of my time training BJJ, Judo, & Wrestling I'm mostly in the grappling forum. Someone sent me this link and a lot of people on youtube are saying it's staged for tourists. You guys are the experts, so can anyone tell me? Thanks!

It deff looks like they are trading turns hitting each other...Almost like watching a video game lol

Dunno about that one in particular, but I saw a couple in Thailand that were definitely staged. Stuff like, a guy missed with a head kick and the other dude just stood there and let him get back into fighting stance, or a guy who got "knocked out" with a jab to the face that sent him flying backward all the way across the ring, stuff like that.

I met an amusing fellow at one of these, though - Texan guy, former Marine, said he'd done over ten years of BJJ and boxing. He lived in the area, and apparently one night, having quickly figured out that all the fights at this place were fake, his friends goaded him into asking the manager if he could fight one of the Thai dudes. They figured it would be an easy win, since these guys were just doing WWF-type stuff, right? Well, he got into the ring and got his ass kicked so bad he couldn't get out of bed for a couple days. So i guess the moral of the story is, just because they're doing staged fights doesn't mean they can't do the real thing.

hahahahaha its pretty cool how they got a football match going on in the back on the big screen

Soccer on the big screen in the background... Just in case the fights got boring or what?

Dunno about that one in particular, but I saw a couple in Thailand that were definitely staged. Stuff like, a guy missed with a head kick and the other dude just stood there and let him get back into fighting stance, or a guy who got "knocked out" with a jab to the face that sent him flying backward all the way across the ring, stuff like that.

I met an amusing fellow at one of these, though - Texan guy, former Marine, said he'd done over ten years of BJJ and boxing. He lived in the area, and apparently one night, having quickly figured out that all the fights at this place were fake, his friends goaded him into asking the manager if he could fight one of the Thai dudes. They figured it would be an easy win, since these guys were just doing WWF-type stuff, right? Well, he got into the ring and got his ass kicked so bad he couldn't get out of bed for a couple days. So i guess the moral of the story is, just because they're doing staged fights doesn't mean they can't do the real thing.

They've gots to make their money some how.

Keeps teh tourists amused without getting injured and the westerners go home say 'I went to a real thai boxing match in thailand'

is this a serious question?

Yes it is.

It looks like a work to me, but as I said in my opener, I am a grappler. I do not have any significant experience with my Muay Thai or the culture involved with Muay Thai fights and/or their relation to "touristy" areas.

If you wanna call me stupid for asking, fine.

Like I said, I consider you guys to be the ones who know this stuff so I was really trying to be respectful, even if you thought my question was dumb.

If you came in the grappling forum with a question about a grappling match being a work, or anything at all, I would not say you asked a dumb question.

Then again, this isn't home turf so if I have to get ball busted to get my answer I'm cool with it.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

TS: i am not calling you stupid.. Thats what nerds do. I am a little surprised that anyone would think that this was a real fight.. Thats all

Reggae Bar, Koh Phi Phi Island. Retired MT fighters putting on a show for the tourists. Etc. Yes, it's staged. Why is this particular video everywhere all of a sudden?

Ya someone posted this in another forum all excited, I had to break him the news. Fake as hell. Even looks like they sped up the video too.

If you want real fights in Thailand spend some money and go to Lumpinee or Rajadamnern. Even though most places do have real fights this one is almost a guarantee you'll get a good fight.

I see alot of videos of white dudes fighting fat out of shape thai guys who look like theyve trained for 3 days. The white guys go bananas when they knock them out :icon_lol:

I see alot of videos of white dudes fighting fat out of shape thai guys who look like theyve trained for 3 days. The white guys go bananas when they knock them out :icon_lol:

I can show you just as many asian or black tourists getting just as excited when knocking out the chicken cart driver at Bangla.

I can show you just as many asian or black tourists getting just as excited when knocking out the chicken cart driver at Bangla.

I misspoke I should have said non thais. Anyway I get a kick out of those vids.

Back