Is this shit for real?!? (this is horrific if you do BJJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaron_mag said:
Dude...I'm getting schooled all over the place! Ha ha ha...

My buddy who is a good wrestler (despite being out of shape like me) really wrenches on me and we've been getting some good BJJ guys to spar with (who tap me multiple times). And they have stories of going against awesome grapplers at their school.

But it is all fun! Every once in awhile someone lets me win so that I keep coming back for more.

Hahaha. You okay in my book Aaron, I had fun the last time.

Still, teach me some top secret sambo leg lock next trip to Hawaii. I'm serious. All the top secret stuff no bjj/wrestling/judo guy would know.

Darwinist said:
This is a far cry from McDojoism. Some purists frown on "garage grapplers" like they are all just wannabes who can

All of that being said, if the instructor was straight forward with me and said "Look, I'm not a stud, but there are no BJJ gyms in 50 miles, so I thought I'd start one and we'd all get better together" I'd respect that.

That is the only way to do it in my opinion. If you started a club, were forth right with your credentials and had a slot of guest instructor in for seminars (or traveled to them yourself), you could do it honorably. I am not against seminar belts, per say provided they are legit. If someone is giving out sub par seminar belts it is not the guy who got its fault. Royce is a good example. I have read a lot about his giving belts out like candy. Can you blame a new BJJ student for thinking that a blue belt from Royce friggin' Gracie!! is legit? He is the name in BJJ for most people.

Once upon a time, karate used to be like BJJ. Mostly adult classes with hardcore badass fighters hoping to reach BB and win tournaments.

We all saw how that story ended.

I won't let the same thing happen to BJJ. A beautiful thing shouldn't be allowed to die the same way TKD and karate have.

Don't miss the dicussion on JJGear:

http://www.jiujitsugear.com/forum/index.php?topic=52474.0

Especially Laurita's reply:

http://www.jiujitsugear.com/forum/index.php?topic=52474.msg726053#msg726053

Edit: Oops, this was post just above, minus the direct link to the reply.

I cant bring myself to agree with a single point that Laurita tries to make. All he's saying is he wants to spread BJJ. But contradicts himself in mentioning how many other big names have been produced by BJJ, through the good ol' fashioned way. There's just no way that you can be a blackbelt by watching videos, and I really dont give a shit who's testing you.

I love the glorious ending to his post in saying that we should all just "mind our own business."

What a fucking joke.

The fact of the matter is, if they cant make it to brazilian jiu jitsu classes, too fucking bad. They dont get to teach BJJ. You dont hear of people teaching piano via correspondence and giving rise to the next Vladimir Horowitz. If "they," being teachers of other martial arts, want to teach brazilian jiu jitsu, be promoted, and be a legitimate black-belt, it's a long hard road of sacrifice and hardship, just the same as it has been, and just the same road that has led to great champions.

I just can't understand what this guy is getting at.

Who cares....we can all laugh at this! You guys need to learn the difference between having passion and respect for your art compared to thinking you OWN the art.

Anybody can do "their" version of BJJ - who cares! We all knew it was just a matter of time before BJJ got waterdown by American mentality! Schools like Tiger Schulmanns Karate were only the first of the "McDojos" to add BJJ to their ciriculum....but 10 years later it has come to this.

As long as YOU train at a reputable school it really shouldnt bother you so much. The thing that WILL annoy ALL of us is people who train under some poser who bought this DVD and now thinks he has been learning "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" or something - but again just smile and laugh at these people.

When these guys start to enter tournments they will realize that they are learning an inferior martial art. And after they see how real BJJ is taught and practiced by others those students will jump ship and train with a REAL BJJ school....with a brown or black belt instructor.

So in conclusion what Im trying to say is that this was inevitable BUT it will naturally work its way out...just as it naturally watered itself down. The strong schools with always survive...as will the strong students.

LMAO...

Actually, you're right...unless there is something like this happening in Russia?

Its pretty sad , not many people know what Sambo is and some instructors I know/heard of state in their background that they have a Black Belt in Sambo. :icon_sad:

Its pretty sad , not many people know what Sambo is and some instructors I know/heard of state in their background that they have a Black Belt in Sambo. :icon_sad:

Actually I use that as a litmus test to determine whether or not the person talking is full of BS or not. I need to than Sambosteve for pointing that out actually, so when someone like Wade Schalles claims to be a 9th Degree BB in Sambo, or Lloyd Irvin claims to have gotten a sambo BB in 1 year, I can shake my head a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back