Is this shit for real?!? (this is horrific if you do BJJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOO I want a black belt so i can charge $100/per hour for privates or open a school and get $150/month each from students.
hell my blue belt in BJJ and my Hs wrestling ought to cover up the fact that im not legit for at least a year or 2.

Thats just disgusting!!!!

b0b said:
This isn't much different than Royce Gracie Affiliation. Royce makes you buy a package of books and DVDs, a Blue Belt, and you are now a Royce Gracie Affiliate School. Someone on here got a Blue Belt from Royce at a seminar, and he trains without an instructor. This guy could potentially start his own BJJ school.

Yeah, but he said that he rolled with Royce and that Royce considered his skills to be blue-belt level.

Oh God. If this was in Brazil that gym would get raided so fast he wouldn

Lester McGrath said:
Yeah, but he said that he rolled with Royce and that Royce considered his skills to be blue-belt level.

I question Royce's motives on the seminar blue belt test. Anyways, do you really think someone who watches tapes, has been evaulated one time, should be teaching people BJJ?

b0b said:
I question Royce's motives on the seminar blue belt test. Anyways, do you really think someone who watches tapes, has been evaulated one time, should be teaching people BJJ?

Pretty sure this was Tudor. He was already teaching before he got his blue...he didn't have any other options (no BJJ instructors in Romania, or at least his region). And yes, it is pretty obvious when watching somebody roll if they are really a higher rank. A good instructor can peg your general ability level pretty darn quickly.

This is utterly unsurprising...I've said this would happen for as long as I can remember being on SHerdog.

BJJ circa 2005 is poised to be TKD circa 1985. It's what's hot, and everyone wants to learn it. Prepare to watch as schools claiming to offer BJJ start cropping up like weeds in Everytown and Suburbville, USA run by half-assed instructors offering watered-down training to meet the demand and keep the smackaroos rolling in; that's what happens when an art gets popular.

Been happening in Australia for ages under the Burridge TKD schools. They teach weak ass flaky techniques maybe once a week to students who have paid up the contracted $6700 for 3 years to get there TKD black belt.

Guys, BJJ is now officially a TMA. You will now have your good schools, McDojos, lineage wars, arguements over what is a proper gi, arguements over what is real BJJ, arguements over what is real technique, that some schools are too rough, that some schools aren't "respectful", politcs within organizations, not being allowed to compete because you aren't with that association, etc....
You now will face what the people who practice Okinawan, Japanese, Chinese and Korean arts have to wade through. Just be glad you don't have kata or forms to argue about.

Keep your focus guys.
You know what good grappling is. Everything goes through this cycle, not just martial arts.
Take a deep breath. Relax.

this one's near me. i actually just saw an add for this in a local entertainment paper, about a week ago and it got me wondering who the new ranking belt in northeast ohio might be....now i know...lol

Ohio

Powers Isshin Ryu Karate Academy
34425 Lorain Rd. #3
North Ridgeville, OH 44039
440-327-3688
Ed Powers-Instructor
Melissa Powers-Instructor

Bubble Boy said:
Keep your focus guys.
You know what good grappling is. Everything goes through this cycle, not just martial arts.
Take a deep breath. Relax.
That's a good perspective to have. It is funny to see all the responses to Laurita's posts, though.

Gregster said:
This is utterly unsurprising...I've said this would happen for as long as I can remember being on SHerdog.

BJJ circa 2005 is poised to be TKD circa 1985. It's what's hot, and everyone wants to learn it. Prepare to watch as schools claiming to offer BJJ start cropping up like weeds in Everytown and Suburbville, USA run by half-assed instructors offering watered-down training to meet the demand and keep the smackaroos rolling in; that's what happens when an art gets popular.

All the more reason for the legit practicioners to go out and kick ass, show the unwitting public what real BJJ looks like.

That

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back